Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader View Post
Actually, the chance of a cell phone at 900MHz or 1.8 or 1.9Ghz interfering with the radio communication of an airplane with proper shielding is as near zero as it gets. Shielding of both phones and aircraft can degrade over time, but there is little evidence to suggest that even this can cause real (compared to theoretical) interferance.

(And how many of you actually turn off your computer's wireless connection when you fly?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_on_aircraft
While this is generally true there is also a problem with cell phones tying up cell towers. On the ground a phone can only contact a few towers but from the air it can really tie up a great many towers and a few phones could conceivably overload the network. This is why it is a FCC regulation not to use a cell phone, not just an airline one. The airline is only interested in turn off devices in take off and landings and are not concerned during the flight for the most part.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #17
mocelet
Connoisseur
mocelet began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad / Palm Vx / Nokia E65
I assume that most people here are familiar with the chirping noise that a mobile phone can induce in other audio equipment (cheap PC speakers for instance) if it is close to the cables...

Well, I have heard from a friend of a friend, who works in air traffic approach, that all day at work, when the pilots switch to the approach frequency, they turn on their mobile phones, causing the "chirping" to be transmited down the air traffic radio as they connect to the new cell network. If the pilots are willing to do this when the aircraft is a low altitude, coming in to land, with the phone in the cockpit, then I would suggest that our phones back in cattle class are not going to be a problem.

On the "readers on planes" subject, my wife and I went off on holiday last month, she with her iLiad, me with my Nokia E65, both for reading on the plane. We had a delayed departure so sat at the gate for 25 mins, but the cabin crew decided to get the electronics-must-be-off check done early. My phone (in flight mode) was picked up instantly due to the backlight, but the iLiad was completely passed over. I have to admit that I tucked my phone under my leg until the check was done, then pulled it out, carried on reading, and turned it off when we actually started moving.

And there were no problems with security, but the we were travelling in Europe, not the US.
mocelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2007, 07:15 PM   #18
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I took my PDA and laptop on my last flight and had no problems at all.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:20 PM   #19
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Talking Thank you!

Hey all,

Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. Went on my trip, put the ebook in the bin as suggested, no problems. yeah!

spear
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spear View Post
Went on my trip, put the ebook in the bin as suggested, no problems.
You put your ebook in the bin??????
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2007, 10:35 AM   #21
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yeah I put the reader in one on the plastic bins (with my shoes, keys, and wallet) to go through the xray device.
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:04 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Right, I understand. Sorry - here in the UK, a "bin" is a container for rubbish. I believe the equivalent would be a "trash can" in the US?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Or just "trash" -- we tend to refer to the contents rather than the container on that. One of those peculiar cultural quirks.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Right, I understand. Sorry - here in the UK, a "bin" is a container for rubbish. I believe the equivalent would be a "trash can" in the US?
It could also mean he put it in the overhead bin (storage compartment above the seat) on the plane and didn't use it the whole trip because he was worried about using an electronic device

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #25
robvarga
Connoisseur
robvarga began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
The airline industry needs to get on the stick and secure their on-board electronic signals from being tapped into by cellphones and what-not. Why they didn't immediately do so the moment they started designing fly-by-wire systems will forever be a mystery to me. (Maybe someone should introduce the industry to DRM... )
Yeah, sure... and have the flight computers software licence expire during landing... :-)
robvarga is offline   Reply With Quote