Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #196
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The important thing to keep in mind about the Liaden Universe books is that they are, first and foremost, about people. Whether Liaden, Xtrang, or Terrans (who are, ultimately, from the same stock), it's always the people that drive the story.

The authors freely admit being influenced by Georgette Heyer and Lord Peter Wimsey. Not SF for the MilSF junkie who wants pages and pages of technical detail, but that doesn't stop there being great battles. In fact, there is an ongoing battle with the Department of the Interior that drives many of the events.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #197
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I'm a MilSF junkie, but love the Liaden universe -- thanks to a number of kind folks on this thread. Pick up The Agent Gambit from Baen. Two of the earliest written novels in one book and I can almost guarantee you'll be hooked.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #198
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I'm a MilSF junkie, but love the Liaden universe -- thanks to a number of kind folks on this thread. Pick up The Agent Gambit from Baen. Two of the earliest written novels in one book and I can almost guarantee you'll be hooked.
Fair enough, I'm a Liaden junkie who also reads (and enjoys) some MilSF. But I definitely skip over the lengthy "technical details" that some authors feel are required for my understanding.

Meanwhile, on the new Trade Secrets -- wow. I never really thought about all the consequences of where Jethri was going, but I'd so glad that Lee & Miller did a followup book! I'm really enjoying it. Highly recommended.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #199
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Taking all the books of the series as a whole:
  • The stories are set on various planets, but the "homeworld" of the series is Liad, a non-Terran world. Space travel and trade is normal and unremarkable. The series isn't hung up on providing hard science explanations for why things work they way they do (no pages and pages of tech details like in the Weber books) but the actions and activities are presented in a believable fashion so the reader doesn't get hung up on incongruities.
  • Humans seem to be the prevalent species but there are three main subgroups - Liaden, Terran and Xtrang.
  • Think of Liadens as the aristocratic type - they exist within a well-defined social code, and are organized into familial clans. The leader of the clan is called the "delm" and he controls the lives within the clan. Liad is a modern society.
  • Think of Terrans as the scrappy mongrels of the universe, consisting of all the folks who are not Liaden or Liaden-affliliated. They probably all originated from Earth sometime in the past. Terrans have separate cultures but in the whole are a modern society, but the degrees of civilized behavior vary - especially in comparison to the Liadens.
  • Think of the Xtrang as a warrior caste. We know that they are human, warlike, and feared by everyone, but we don't know why their culture is driven to conquer. They are the bogeyman to Liadens and Terrans alike but for the most part have only a peripheral role. They are a modern, militaristic society.
  • The universe in which the majority of the books are set is, it appears, not necessarily the one where the ancestors of its current residents resided. Scientists are postulating that there might be common ties between the three human groups; there is strong resistance to that line of thought on Liad.
  • There aren't a lot of the typical scifi non-humanoid aliens running around. No folks with cat-heads, for example. But the non-humans that there are, are a sheer delight - the Clutch Turtles, the Tree, Jeeves, for example.
  • The points of intersection between the Terrrans and the Liadens seem to be the Trade/Pilot Guilds (self-explanatory), the Juntavas (think galactic crime empire so huge it has its own legal system), and the Liaden Scouts (the folks who are the natural-born explorers and questioners within Liaden society who, as a result, tend to chafe under its Code).
Also the Turtles - definitely non-human and with distinctly different technology, but who are starting to interact with Liadens.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #200
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Also the Turtles - definitely non-human and with distinctly different technology, but who are starting to interact with Liadens.
That scene involving Sheather, the "elder" door and the eggling (lol) totally charmed me, and made me really appreciate the sensibilities of the Clutch.

It's interesting to learn more about the Clutch because the more that is revealed the more you realize how much Liadens and Terrans have underestimated and misunderstood them.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #201
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Meanwhile, on the new Trade Secrets -- wow. I never really thought about all the consequences of where Jethri was going, but I'd so glad that Lee & Miller did a followup book! I'm really enjoying it. Highly recommended.

Arrgh! I was trying to hold out til November but you got me to cave in a day and a half.

artifact
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #202
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I

That scene involving Sheather, the "elder" door and the eggling (lol) totally charmed me, and made me really appreciate the sensibilities of the Clutch.

It's interesting to learn more about the Clutch because the more that is revealed the more you realize how much Liadens and Terrans have underestimated and misunderstood them.
One of the most engaging aspects of the Liaden universe.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #203
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
Arrgh! I was trying to hold out til November but you got me to cave in a day and a half.

artifact
Sorry about that. But this way you can get the audio book when it comes out. (OK, I admit, I'll be getting all three versions. eARC, audio, and released eBook.)
Old 07-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #204
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've got one of my Audible credits earmarked for it.......
Old 07-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #205
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yup, me too.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #206
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Thumbs up

The audio book will be released the same time as the print book.

They are also signing a contract to release "The Tomorrow Log' in audio format. Yay!!

(via Steve Miller's FB page)
Old 07-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #207
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yup, saw that (via their Infodump.) Hopefully the Audible book will be the same reader as the Balance of Trade Audible book. (Kevin T. Collins) Though actually, I've been happy with all four of the readers that did the existing Audible books.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #208
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Is The Tomorrow Log the book that has two stories in it, one of which ends half way through and that will never be finished for various reasons?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:30 PM   #209
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
No clue what book you're describing, but The Tomorrow Log is a stand alone novel about a hero with pet robotic spiders and a heroine who is sort of a ninja (sorry, too much Wen Spencer lately ). It's set in a universe that could be the Liaden universe, but there is no mention of Liadens in the book so it could be a different universe, depending on what the authors decide. As a child, the hero was kicked off a colony ship by the captain. The heroine has come looking for the hero because the Tomorrow Log says he is supposed to be the new captain of the colony ship. And other stuff happens....

There was supposed to be a sequel to The Tomorrow Log but Steve got sick and Meisha Merlin went under. I wish they would write that sequel, but there's probably going to be a four to five year wait to see if they'll even consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Is The Tomorrow Log the book that has two stories in it, one of which ends half way through and that will never be finished for various reasons?
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #210
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

I had that sequel on pre-order with Amazon when Meisha Merlin went under and the whole book publication collapsed. I didn't know that Steve being sick was also involved in that mix.

Hopefully that story will be continued again one day. Hey, if we finally are getting Jethri's story again, there's always hope.