Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast
HawaiianLungs began at the beginning.

Device: Dell x51v, SONY eReader 505, Lenovo T61
Out of USA (Out of Sprint coverage)

I am mostly out of the US although I live in Hawaii and come here several times a year.

I think the Kindle has much of what I need, but I am concerned with wireless downloads.

Yes I can get most of the books I want in Hawaii, but if I want a special book overseas can I do it? The forums suggest I can, but it is not clear.

Also I am a doctor. Many files I want to read are pdfs from the INTERNET. How can I put these unto the Kindle from my PC? Can the Kndle read thesde pdfs?

Lastly, I need to charge the Kindle from 240volt outlets. Can I?
HawaiianLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianLungs View Post
I am mostly out of the US although I live in Hawaii and come here several times a year.

I think the Kindle has much of what I need, but I am concerned with wireless downloads.

Yes I can get most of the books I want in Hawaii, but if I want a special book overseas can I do it? The forums suggest I can, but it is not clear.

Also I am a doctor. Many files I want to read are pdfs from the INTERNET. How can I put these unto the Kindle from my PC? Can the Kndle read thesde pdfs?

All you need is a computer with internet access wherever you are in the world. You'd surf over to the online version of the Kindle store. Buy your book, then go to your Media Library downloads section. download the book (or subscriptiion) to the computer. connect the Kindle to the computer and drag and drop the files onto the Kindle in the "documents" folder.

Kindle User Guide

Using Kindle with Your Computer

Converting personal documents for use on a Kindle

Last edited by daffy4u; 09-08-2008 at 07:45 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Yes, if you have a PC and internet available. You can download the file from your media library on Amazon and transfer it to your Kindle using a USB cable.

Quote:
Not directly. You will have to convert them to Mobipocket format. There are a couple of ways to do it. First, you can email the document to your kindle email account and the converted file will be emailed to you. Second, you can use Mobipocket or Mobicreator software on your PC (not Mac) to convert it. Now, the results may not be stellar depending on the contents of the PDF. If it is moslty or all text you will have good results. See the numerous threads here for more info on the trials and tribulations of converting/reading PDF documents.

Quote:
My kindle charger says 110-240volts... so yes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:54 AM   #4
HawaiianLungs
Enthusiast
HawaiianLungs began at the beginning.

Device: Dell x51v, SONY eReader 505, Lenovo T61
Thank you

Thank you for all your quick replies. All of my questions have been answered.
HawaiianLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
All you need is a computer with internet access wherever you are in the world. You'd surf over to the online version of the Kindle store. Buy your book, then go to your Media Library downloads section. download the book (or subscriptiion) to the computer. connect the Kindle to the computer and drag and drop the files onto the Kindle in the "documents" folder.
The only other caveat that's perhaps worth adding is that you must have a credit card with a US billing address in order to buy books from the Amazon eBook book store.

I would, however, question the choice of a Kindle for someone who states that reading PDFs is an important requirement, given that the Kindle cannot read this format natively. The conversion software tends not to do a very good job with PDFs with complex layout - tables, graphs, etc. A machine which has native PDF support such as the Sony Reader or CyBook Gen3 would perhaps be a better choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He lives in Hawaii, so it's likely he does have a U.S. credit card.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
He lives in Hawaii, so it's likely he does have a U.S. credit card.
OK. I'm never sure which of these various Pacific islands are bits of the US and which aren't.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
OK. I'm never sure which of these various Pacific islands are bits of the US and which aren't.
Now, Harry , I could say the same about the United Kingdom.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I was serious, Don. I am honestly unsure what the legal status of places like, say, Puerto Rico is. It uses the US$ as its currency, but it's not a part of the USA, is it, so if you had a credit card from there it wouldn't be a US credit card.

(And yes, I know that Puerto Rico isn't in the Pacific ).

You're absolutely right to be unsure about the legal status of the various islands around the UK - it gets very complicated. Some are parts of the UK, some aren't. Some are in the European Union, and others aren't. Eg, the Channel Islands are a part of the UK, but not in the EU and there's no VAT there.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm just teasing you, Harry.

Actually, Hawaii is our 50th state.

(I'm quite ignorant about your history, I might add.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I'm not so good with geography, so I can appreciate the confusion.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
I was serious, Don. I am honestly unsure what the legal status of places like, say, Puerto Rico is. It uses the US$ as its currency, but it's not a part of the USA, is it, so if you had a credit card from there it wouldn't be a US credit card.

(And yes, I know that Puerto Rico isn't in the Pacific ).

You're absolutely right to be unsure about the legal status of the various islands around the UK - it gets very complicated. Some are parts of the UK, some aren't. Some are in the European Union, and others aren't. Eg, the Channel Islands are a part of the UK, but not in the EU and there's no VAT there.
It would be interesting to find out ... about Puerto Rico, I mean. It is a territory of the US, and the people who live there are US citizens, although they cannot vote in US Federal elections. I suppose it would be up to Amazon to decide whether they considered credit cards from US territories as US credit cards or not.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not directly. You will have to convert them to Mobipocket format. There are a couple of ways to do it. First, you can email the document to your kindle email account and the converted file will be emailed to you. Second, you can use Mobipocket or Mobicreator software on your PC (not Mac) to convert it. Now, the results may not be stellar depending on the contents of the PDF. If it is moslty or all text you will have good results. See the numerous threads here for more info on the trials and tribulations of converting/reading PDF documents.
Just to spare any future confusion, the email you would use is username@free.kindle.com. The regular username@kindle.com address sends the converted files back to you wirelessly.

One downside to being outside of wireless range is that you can't get the free samples. Those are only sent via Whispernet. It's certainly easy to buy books but I did miss the samples last time I was out of the country.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Just to spare any future confusion, the email you would use is username@free.kindle.com. The regular username@kindle.com address sends the converted files back to you wirelessly.

One downside to being outside of wireless range is that you can't get the free samples. Those are only sent via Whispernet. It's certainly easy to buy books but I did miss the samples last time I was out of the country.
You can, however download free samples from the MobiPocket.com site that will work on your Kindle. Of course, MobiPocket has to sell the book you're interested in.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
It would be interesting to find out ... about Puerto Rico, I mean. It is a territory of the US, and the people who live there are US citizens, although they cannot vote in US Federal elections. I suppose it would be up to Amazon to decide whether they considered credit cards from US territories as US credit cards or not.
Really? Guam has delegates at the convention. They have 7 votes, and voted 4 for Obama and 2 for Clinton. If they can have delegates doesn't the mean the have people voting in a primary?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!