Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Why blame BASIC (1960) & C (1969) - why not blame their ancestors, BCPL and Fortran,

Before Algol 60 came along there were more than enough semi-colons for everyone, but since it came along you can't buy a semi colon for love or money. I've even heard that the reason editors take them all out is that they sell them to programmers. All resources are finite, including punctuation - in Spain they're not only running out of €s there's also a desperate shortage of ¿s.

Dang, let's blame that bloody woman Lovelace, she started it all

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-27-2012 at 01:11 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
a.peter
Enthusiast
a.peter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyzdead View Post
I would like to know if there is another converter for PDF to ePub that doesn't have these issues?
There are some alternatives to calibre. You may try Mobipocket Creator, http://www.pdf2epub.com/pdf2epub.
I prefer to scan the pdf with ms office 2013 preview, save the result as office file, import it into OpenOffice and covert it to epub using writer2epub plug in. Sounds a bit complicated but the result is very good.
a.peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:53 PM   #18
tedpeer
Enthusiast
tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tedpeer can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: nook, iOs
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyzdead View Post
I am old enough to remember when real programs were written in Assembler and a program that actually did useful stuff was less than 64 kilobytes.
And I expect that you could write your own program to do the same tasks, but did not.

That being said, is it really necessary to 5hit all over the language that Calibre is written in?

Either Calibre does what you want it to, or it does not.

Ted
tedpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Heck... one of the most powerful mainframe programs ever was two lines of code!

Code:
        SR    R15,R15
        BR    R14
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #20
kepler42
Seasoned Developper
kepler42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch, Kobo Glo
What a stupid re-post. AS a 35+ years Chief Designer/architect still programming in 8 languages/environments (remember Babel??) I can say that Calibre is a MARVELLOUS tool, well designed and all. I dont care whether it's in Python or Cobra or Corba . But the viperous post is pointless. I dont see why 500K would be a MAJOR memeory usage when you look at what today's browsers/DataBase swallow !
The only "remark" i can make for Calibre (note: I'm not using "complaint") is that new releases are too frequent AND that the "wild" plug-ins need reinstallation every time.
May be this could be enhanced ??
kepler42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler42 View Post
that new releases are too frequent AND that the "wild" plug-ins need reinstallation every time.
I don't use the wild plugins too frequently but I do upgrade calibre every iteration and I have yet to have a plugin need reinstalling because of an upgrade. I have upgraded the wild plugins as new iterations of those plugins come out but I didn't know these needed upgrading due to new calibre versions. Certainly every upgrade to calibre does not require these plugins to be reinstalled.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-30-2012 at 04:00 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:47 AM   #22
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Heck... one of the most powerful mainframe programs ever was two lines of code!

Code:
        SR    R15,R15
        BR    R14
IEFBR14! Ah, the memories
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler42 View Post
The only "remark" i can make for Calibre (note: I'm not using "complaint") is that new releases are too frequent AND that the "wild" plug-ins need reinstallation every time.
Two comments on that:

1. Although there is a weekly release of Calibre, there's absolutely no reason to install every release. Personally I only upgrade when there's something in an upgrade which directly affects me.

2. If you're referring to the DRM-removal plugins, it's definitely NOT true that they need to be reinstalled following an upgrade. They only need to be reinstalled when they themselves changes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sometimes an upgraded plugin needs a new version of Calibre due to a change in Calibre. But other then that, most plugins work fine with new versions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote