Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Didn't we see discussions here about how the software used to drive the panel can effect contrast and rendering quality. So even with the same font and same panel hardware, might one model not have 'a better screen' than another in common usage?
That's certainly conceivable, but if one manufacturer found a way to drive the display panel that was definitively "better" than their rivals, I'm sure it would soon be copied - indeed, one would expect eInk, the screen manufacturer, to advise manufacturers on how to drive the screen to best advantage. I strongly suspect that what we're seeing is nothing more than personal preference. Eg, I really like the fonts used on the Kindle, but I know that some people don't like them at all.

It's also worth remembering that the appearance of an eInk screen can vary dramatically with different lighting conditions. A screen in a bright-lit store might appear to have an almost white background, but take that same device into a poorly lit room, and it could appear dark grey.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #47
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
As an iPad user I am fairly comfortable with a touch screen. The first e-ink reader to interest me was the Nook Touch but as I have quite a collection of Amazon titles, I waited until the arrival of the K-Touch. I must admit that I really like it. It has become my favorite reader based on its light weight and long battery life. While I have cleaned the screen twice since getting it in December, finger prints don't really seem to be much of an issue a you really only touch the screen to turn pages and the occasional dictionary lookup. Unlike the lcd screen, the fingerprints while there just aren't as visible.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #48
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's certainly conceivable, but if one manufacturer found a way to drive the display panel that was definitively "better" than their rivals, I'm sure it would soon be copied
Well, as with fonts, I was thinking more along the lines that Sony and Amazon might drive their displays differently and one might have legitimate preference as to which is better. Just suggesting a possibility for why just because they all use the same Pearl display, they may not all look objectively identical.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #49
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
There is only one manufacturer of 6" eInk screens. All the manufacturers of 6" eInk devices use the identically same screen. There can certainly be differences in appearance due to different choices of fonts, and there can also be variations between individual eInk panels, but there is no systematic variation from one manufacturer to another, for the simple reason that there's no alternate choice of supplier: there's a single source for all the screens.
Harry, this horse has been beaten to death. The panels are different. Hold them side by side, use paper cutouts to shield the bezel, change the lighting. There is a clear difference in contrast. Look at the different models and you will also see differences in ghosting and delay. Whether this is caused by panel quality or tuning, I don't know. I stand by my assesment of the Sony T1. That said, I still own and use a KT (although I do look at the T1 with lust once in a while.)
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Harry, this horse has been beaten to death. The panels are different. Hold them side by side, use paper cutouts to shield the bezel, change the lighting. There is a clear difference in contrast. Look at the different models and you will also see differences in ghosting and delay. Whether this is caused by panel quality or tuning, I don't know. I stand by my assesment of the Sony T1. That said, I still own and use a KT (although I do look at the T1 with lust once in a while.)
I don't have a T1 to compare with, Stingo, but comparing my PRS-350 with my KT, side by side, the screens look absolutely identical.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #51
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Could be about the 350. Don't have one. However I think that the k3 also has very slightly better contrast than the touch. I still like the touch interface better.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #52
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
I can't quite put my finger on it...
That's probably the problem :-)
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #53
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Once I got a touch screen reader there was no going back for me. And now that I have a Kindle Touch, my Kindle 3 is going to a new home.

I have way too many readers too. Nook Classic, Kindle3, Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch & Nook Touch.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #54
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hey i'm looking for a cheap kindle for a friend...did you pick your k3's new home yet?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
Once I got a touch screen reader there was no going back for me. And now that I have a Kindle Touch, my Kindle 3 is going to a new home.

I have way too many readers too. Nook Classic, Kindle3, Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch & Nook Touch.
Given that you have both, how would you assess the screens of the KT and the T1 side-by-side?
Old 04-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #56
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Given that you have both, how would you assess the screens of the KT and the T1 side-by-side?
It is hard to tell if there is any real difference to the background. The T1 background appears a bit lighter, but not by much & I mean not by much. That may have to do with the fact that the T1 I have has a black bezel. I certainly hadn't noticed a real difference. That is until you asked me to check it out.

As for the print, the print on the kindle seems bolder or a bit darker except for the font style Frutiger Neue on the Sony.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, Pomtroll. So, like me, you wouldn't agree with Stingo's view that there is a "clear difference in contrast"?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #58
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Thanks, Pomtroll. So, like me, you wouldn't agree with Stingo's view that there is a "clear difference in contrast"?
How often does the Sony's screen refresh vs. the Kindle Touch? Something like that could account for the a difference in perceived clarity.

ETA: OK, I looked it up. Sony T-1 refreshes every page turn; KT every 6 pages. I'm willing to bet that ghosting is the culprit here.

Last edited by stickybuns; 04-08-2012 at 03:23 PM.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
How often does the Sony's screen refresh vs. the Kindle Touch? Something like that could account for the a difference in perceived clarity.

ETA: OK, I looked it up. Sony T-1 refreshes every page turn; KT every 6 pages. I'm willing to bet that ghosting is the culprit here.
Whether the screen refreshes every 6 turns, or every turn, is a configurable setting on the KT. I prefer to refresh every turn.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #60
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinsenglish View Post
Even though I use a Sony Touch (PRS-350) I still find myself using the physical buttons more for page turning. For navigation, however, I still prefer it hands down to navigating on the K3 or K4
Exactly my experience on my T1.

I think it's because for page turning, buttons are a little more efficient, at least on smaller devices. You hold the EBR in one hand, rest your thumb on the button & press as needed.

This might not be true for larger devices that you have to hold in both hands, or rest on something. It seems easier to touch on my iPad than click the button on my KDX.

But for navigating, touching is more efficient that manipulating the cursor up & down the screen & clicking.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote