Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #61
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Here's a simple idea to satisfy the need for copy protection: From now on, all e-books will be sold on physical media that cannot be copied. It can only be read while it is in the e-book reader.

A simple unlockable media card, like an SD card, will be all that is necessary to make sure one copy of a book stays one copy of a book. Retail handling will work similar to CD/DVD sales, and incidentally, will allow publishers to earn additional profit from packaging and branding the various storage and display products that the media cards will require. This will also keep the brick-and-mortar stores open as local outlets for the books, and satisfying those who prefer physical to online shopping.

In order to prevent theft, each product will be designed to be larger than the average hand, which will prevent its being easily concealed on one's person. Optional deterrents, such as flashing lights or beeps, can further prevent an item's being taken from the store before it is paid for.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #62
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Here's a simple idea to satisfy the need for copy protection: From now on, all e-books will be sold on physical media that cannot be copied. It can only be read while it is in the e-book reader.

A simple unlockable media card, like an SD card, will be all that is necessary to make sure one copy of a book stays one copy of a book. Retail handling will work similar to CD/DVD sales, and incidentally, will allow publishers to earn additional profit from packaging and branding the various storage and display products that the media cards will require. This will also keep the brick-and-mortar stores open as local outlets for the books, and satisfying those who prefer physical to online shopping.

In order to prevent theft, each product will be designed to be larger than the average hand, which will prevent its being easily concealed on one's person. Optional deterrents, such as flashing lights or beeps, can further prevent an item's being taken from the store before it is paid for.
But then we'd just be moving backward, wouldn't we? Instead of getting rid of the need for physical media, and having everything stored on HD's and internal memory. I know I can't wait to finally stop using CD/DVD etc, and I'm almost there, just a few more DVD's to rip down to the Hard Drive and I can stick the lot of my collection in the attic with the rest of the antiques.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #63
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Wouldn't it still be prone to the same copying methods used for pbooks (i.e. scanning the display) - which seems to make up most of what's available illicitly at the moment?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #64
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Wouldn't it still be prone to the same copying methods used for pbooks (i.e. scanning the display) - which seems to make up most of what's available illicitly at the moment?
Not if the text prints out in captcha!

It might take a bit to engineer it, but I'm sure I can come up with some specs by this day next year...
Old 04-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #65
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Not if the text prints out in captcha!

It might take a bit to engineer it, but I'm sure I can come up with some specs by this day next year...
Nnnoooo!!!!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #66
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Even in a serious topic thread...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #67
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Nyuk... nyuk... nyuk...
Old 04-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #68
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Even in a serious topic thread...
Ooooohhh. Was that a request by the OP to get back on the straight and narrow?
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #69
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

What a shame there is no way to create a sort of Universal Content License ID... a unique UCLID (See? It even makes for a nice acronym! I may use that in my next novel...) that would be issued to every person on the globe and tied to (probably) a biometric ID. It would be used to tag every electronic product bought by or for that person, that person would use their biometric to open the product, and no one else's biometric would work. That would keep sharing of digital products to an acceptable minimum.

If this world ever adopts an effective biometric ID system, I imagine then it will be ready to attach said UCLIDs to digital products.

(Sits back to wait for the "Big Brother" rants...)
Old 04-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #70
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Somewhere here, I recently read that Sony's planning to come out with DRM Lite. Maybe someone could ask NatCh about it. I'm just saying.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #71
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
[SNIP]
Too late! The Big Brother rants are already watching you....

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #72
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Too late! The Big Brother rants are already watching you....

Xenophon

Not me. I'm the serious one.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #73
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
What a shame there is no way to create a sort of Universal Content License ID... a unique UCLID (See? It even makes for a nice acronym! I may use that in my next novel...) that would be issued to every person on the globe and tied to (probably) a biometric ID. It would be used to tag every electronic product bought by or for that person, that person would use their biometric to open the product, and no one else's biometric would work. That would keep sharing of digital products to an acceptable minimum.

If this world ever adopts an effective biometric ID system, I imagine then it will be ready to attach said UCLIDs to digital products.

I think I just heard Orwell rolling in his grave Or maybe it was my stomach rumbling, one or the other.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #74
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
Quote:
/me dumps some names and titles:
Orwell(1984)
Doctorow(Little Brother)
Stallman(Right to read)
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote