Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
Jamess
Jamess began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3rd gen Wifi
Cool Kindle problems

Hi folks
Just got my new 3rd gen Kindle with Wifi about a week ago and I've already had to send it back. I could not (with Kindle support) connect to my home Wifi.
I have an Apple Airport Extreme router and the Kindle kept telling me that the password was incorrect no matter how many times I changed that setting.
I had a friend who logged on without difficulty with his PC so obviously there's nothing wrong with the system.
I finally managed to log on at a free Wifi outlet which allowed me to download my books at least but I noticed that the time and date could not reset properly to my time zone, in fact it kept on GMT instead of Australian Eastern Standard time.
Hopefully by ordering the Kindle with 3G I should be able to download my books even if I can't connect to my Wifi.
Love to hear from anyone else who may have experienced similar problems.
Jamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
this needs to be in the Kindle forum
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
this needs to be in the Kindle forum
Thread moved.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Does your WiFi password contain any " characters?
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 AM   #5
Fisse
Fisse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have a Airport Extreme and had no problem logging into the system and download books. Password encryption level is WPA2.
Fisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 02:16 AM   #6
RoKlein
Junior Reader
RoKlein began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I've got a WPA2 personal network, too. My Kindle also complained about the password, but when I closed the menu, it connected anyway. Probably I mistyped the first time and the program asking for the password didn't update error message on the screen when I got it right.
RoKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
Delta Whiskey
Delta Whiskey began at the beginning.

Have you changed the wireless channel in the router, I had mine set to 13 (2.472Ghz) because it gave me better coverage, but the Kindle couldn't see it, I set it back to the default channel 11 (2.462Ghz) and the Kindle picked it up straight away.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
bluemoonjules
Connoisseur
bluemoonjules is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G
I had an apparently similar problem, the Kindle would not let me get into the Kindle store, but I could get onto the Internet through the 'Experimental' setting.

The problem was in fact that the Kindle unit wasn't registered to me, and it also wouldn't let me register it! Kindle Support sorted it remotely and I am connected now.
bluemoonjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
merriweather
merriweather began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi+3G
i am having the exact same problem. OP, did you figure it out? it keeps saying my password is incorrect. i switched the channel on my AEBS all around - 11, Automatic, etc.
merriweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #10
Madmanden
Enthusiast
Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Madmanden has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriweather View Post
i am having the exact same problem. OP, did you figure it out? it keeps saying my password is incorrect. i switched the channel on my AEBS all around - 11, Automatic, etc.
Have you tried changing the password to say '123' or something similar just to check if that works at all?
Madmanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #11
merriweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmanden View Post
Have you tried changing the password to say '123' or something similar just to check if that works at all?
yeah, my password has letters in both cases and a number. i changed it to just lowercase text and the same thing happens.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by merriweather View Post
Any " characters in your password?
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
merriweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Any " characters in your password?
No punctuation at all, and I tried changing it to just lowercase letters.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 AM   #14
merriweather

doesn't even work with security off :-/
Old 09-15-2010, 02:12 AM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey View Post
Have you changed the wireless channel in the router, I had mine set to 13 (2.472Ghz) because it gave me better coverage, but the Kindle couldn't see it, I set it back to the default channel 11 (2.462Ghz) and the Kindle picked it up straight away.
I guess they have it set that way since 12 and 13 are disallowed in the US. Are you in the US or did you order it with a US account? Just curious if they're doing that even shipping to countries where use of those channels is legal.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote