Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Effect
Effect began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 and Kindle 3
SD Card issues with the Kindle 1

Has anyone else been having issues with their Kindle in regards to SD cards. Here's what I'm experiencing. The card I have (4gig card) hold books just fine however when I try to read one off of the SD card it doesn't hold the last page I was on. Not sure if this is suppose to be the case though. Even books that I've moved over to the SD card that I had been reading suffer the same thing. It will remember the last page I was on before I moved it over but will always open up to that page no matter where I left off (not holding the last page). Bookmarks also don't hold when the book is read off of the SD card.

I'm now at the moment simply using it as a pure storage and if I want to read a book I have there I simply transfer back over to the Kindle memory and then back once I'm done with it. Is this really what I'm only able to do it and not read off the card?

Thanks
Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It sounds as if it may have a corrupt filesystem. Do a "chkdsk" on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I keep all my books

on the cards. (4GB and 2GB ) No problem like this has occurred.

My only thought would be, which brand do you have? I use the Sandisk.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Effect

It's a Sandisk SDHC card.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I wonder if this has anything to do with the addition of "Sync to Furthest Page Read" feature to K1?

I have a SanDisk SDHC as well on my K1 - and have never noticed this happen.

Try a different card (if you have one) to see if it is the card or the Kindle.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effect View Post
It's a Sandisk SDHC card.
Exactly the one I have. Have you done what HarryT suggested?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Is your Whispernet on? There is a known glitch in thte latest firmware update that if you keep the Whispernet off for too long, the Kindle (1 and 2) loses the last page functionality. Turn it back on every now and again, andit works fine.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Is your Whispernet on? There is a known glitch in thte latest firmware update that if you keep the Whispernet off for too long, the Kindle (1 and 2) loses the last page functionality. Turn it back on every now and again, andit works fine.
Sorry, I must disagree. I rarely turn my whispernet on anymore. But I read a LOT. Never a problem with going to the last page.

That whole statement just sound like Amazon wants you to turn it on more. Why?

(running to get her little tin-foil hat)
Old 05-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
Effect

Reformatting it now to see if that helps with it. I can't remember if I did that when I first got it or if I simply put it in. Maybe that caused the problem.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Reformatting it now to see if that helps with it. I can't remember if I did that when I first got it or if I simply put it in. Maybe that caused the problem.
When I got mine, I just put it in without any thought of formatting. I don't even know what that means.

Now.....you are turning your K1 off before you insert or eject, right? I know some here say thats not necessary, but the guidebook really insistent about that so I take no chances.........Just a thought........
Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am with DG-no issues with my SD card, and I only turn on Whispernet when I want to download a free book from Amazon. I have had it loose my last page, but only when I forget to put it to sleep before I set it down.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:52 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Has reformatting the card fixed the problem?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:59 AM   #13
dsip
Connoisseur
dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsip ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Between Devices..
I've had this problem one or two times when removing the SD-card without turning the Kindle off at first, I think. Maybe that created a problem for you as well?
dsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #14
Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Has reformatting the card fixed the problem?
Not really. I've decided to simply use the internal memory and keep the books stored on my computer if I find myself running out of space. Can always use the card for something else.

Thanks everyone for your help though and suggestions.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #15
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Not really. I've decided to simply use the internal memory and keep the books stored on my computer if I find myself running out of space. Can always use the card for something else.

Thanks everyone for your help though and suggestions.
Have you actually checked the card/then your kindle memory slot, or any other similar issues?
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote