Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #16
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshay View Post
starrigger-

That TNT file loaded fine for me in 4.121 on XP. Plus it enticed me to visit your site and download your books as well!
Well, excellent!

Quote:
For the deleted files, I think (?) Calibre is just deleting its own database copy, so the original files should still be wherever you added them from. As far as the new EPUB files, can you just pull them back off the device? I know you can pull lrfs from the PRS-505, but I remember the ebookwise exploded imps once they were added, so I guess it depends on the device.
I hadn't thought of that. Yes, I can.

The thing was, after I saw that Calibre was making its own copies of, for example, the .prc source files, I deleted some of the original source files myself because I didn't need multiple copies of them. Then when Calibre deleted its copies of them, my heartrate spiked.

I guess if I want to take books out of the listing to keep the list small, I should first copy or move the files to an archive folder before I delete from the Calibre library.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:02 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmm the conversion works for me as well on linux. Can someone else with windows test it
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #18
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm the conversion works for me as well on linux. Can someone else with windows test it
On Windows Vista:
Conversion to LRF works fine for me

E-pub gives this result

Job: **Convert book: TNT - Telzey and Trigger**
**tuple**: ('IndexError', u'list index out of range')
**Traceback**:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 935, in worker
File "parallel.py", line 893, in work
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _any.py", line 147, in any2epub
File "contextlib.pyo", line 34, in __exit__
File "contextlib.pyo", line 113, in nested
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _any.py", line 137, in any2epub
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _any.py", line 46, in mobi2opf
IndexError: list index out of range

**Log**:
Exploding MOBI file: c:\users\harry\appdata\local\temp\calibre_0.4.121_ udp6h_.prc
[WARNING] Unknown codepage 235802126. Assuming cp-1252
('IndexError', u'list index out of range')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "parallel.py", line 935, in worker
File "parallel.py", line 893, in work
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _any.py", line 147, in any2epub
File "contextlib.pyo", line 34, in __exit__
File "contextlib.pyo", line 113, in nested
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _any.py", line 137, in any2epub
File "C:\Program Files\calibre\library.zip\calibre\ebooks\epub\from _any.py", line 46, in mobi2opf
IndexError: list index out of range
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
The thing was, after I saw that Calibre was making its own copies of, for example, the .prc source files, I deleted some of the original source files myself because I didn't need multiple copies of them. Then when Calibre deleted its copies of them, my heartrate spiked.
I don't understand why if you want to keep a book, you would not want it in calibre?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:42 PM   #20
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That looks pretty similar to what I saw.

By the way, Kovid--thanks for your quick response, and for the latest update that fixed the major epub problem I was having.

I have two other questions, completely unrelated to the above:

1. I just copied my Calibre library files (I set Calibre to save books in a folder called Calibre Library) from one computer to another. What's the easiest way to load the same set of books into Calibre on the second machine? (I can't seem to add folders, as opposed to individual book files, and there are a lot of folders to open to add the individual books.)

2. I was going to ask if I could change tags right on the Reader, but never mind--I just did it!
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #21
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't understand why if you want to keep a book, you would not want it in calibre?
BOb
Well, at the time I was viewing Calibre as primarily a format-translation tool, not a total file manager, and I just didn't want huge lists. Over the last day or two, I've started to see the value in the latter, as I've experimented with my new Reader. And I'm starting to see how I would use Calibre instead of the Sony Library software, rather than in addition to.

It does mean, however, that I need to add books to Calibre only as I intend to convert from .prc or other, or else I'll be forever forgetting which ones I've converted and which I haven't.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That looks pretty similar to what I saw.

By the way, Kovid--thanks for your quick response, and for the latest update that fixed the major epub problem I was having.

I have two other questions, completely unrelated to the above:

1. I just copied my Calibre library files (I set Calibre to save books in a folder called Calibre Library) from one computer to another. What's the easiest way to load the same set of books into Calibre on the second machine? (I can't seem to add folders, as opposed to individual book files, and there are a lot of folders to open to add the individual books.)

2. I was going to ask if I could change tags right on the Reader, but never mind--I just did it!
No problem, I rely on my users to do the beta testing. The other side of that equation is that I respond quickly to bug reports

You should just be able to set the database path to the copied folder in the config dialog. Alternatively, click the arrow next to the add books button to import recursively from directories.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The windows specific problem with the TNT prc file will be fixed in the next release.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #24
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You should just be able to set the database path to the copied folder in the config dialog. Alternatively, click the arrow next to the add books button to import recursively from directories.
So that's what that meant! It might be clearer to the nontechnical user if the instruction said something like: "Add folders, including sub-folders...etc."

And thanks for that coming bug fix.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
So that's what that meant! It might be clearer to the nontechnical user if the instruction said something like: "Add folders, including sub-folders...etc."

And thanks for that coming bug fix.
A good idea, will be in next release
Old 12-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #26
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
EDIT: ACK! Moderator, please delete this post. This post was originally about Calibre's "Remove books" button removing from the PC, not just the Library, and I thought I lost my original purchased book. But I found the original downloaded files in another folder.

So the procedure for those who use Calibre to convert, but Sony's eBook Library to load, is to make a copy of Calibre's output .lrf file in some other location before invoking Calibre's "Remove books", and load the new .lrf copy into eBook Library.

Last edited by jj2me; 12-29-2008 at 05:41 PM.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
So the procedure for those who use Calibre to convert, but Sony's eBook Library to load, is to make a copy of Calibre's output .lrf file in some other location before invoking Calibre's "Remove books", and load the new .lrf copy into eBook Library.
That is exactly what the "Save to disk" button is for. Of course, I would submit that leaving the ebook in calibre and using it to copy to the device adds much more value.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Actually, I've just changed calibre's delete books button to ask for confirmation by default, since I'm tired of responding to this problem (there was earlier an option in the config dialog that you could use to turn on the confirmation).

For those that like their computer use to be efficient, you can turn off the confirmation dialog via a checkbox in the dialog itself.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #29
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Of course, I would submit that leaving the ebook in calibre and using it to copy to the device adds much more value.
This thread says that loading via Sony's eBook Library is better for pagination.

Also, one might want to utilize these two Library apps to catalog one's collection, e.g., newspaper and magazine subscriptions on Calibre and books on eBook Library.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:58 PM   #30
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
This thread says that loading via Sony's eBook Library is better for pagination.

Also, one might want to utilize these two Library apps to catalog one's collection, e.g., newspaper and magazine subscriptions on Calibre and books on eBook Library.
I dunno about that, but I just downloaded some free books from the Sony store, and discovered that I had no choice but to add them to the Reader through the Sony app. (DRM'd lrf, I guess.) Took me forever to find the damn book files, which were in a folder Sony had created without telling me about its location, and the filenames were gibberish.

One strong advantage of Calibre I've discovered in the last day is the ability (on non-DRM books) to change the metadata and tags to help sort the books once they're on the Reader. For example, Fiction / Science Fiction / Fantasy / short stories, etc. (At least on the PRS700, which creates collections of these groups. Don't know about the other
Reader models.)

Last edited by starrigger; 12-29-2008 at 08:09 PM.