Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2008, 08:47 AM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Issue concearning the reader

I've noted, when filling the internal memory (flash memory) to the brim, and add a SD card with a couple of hundred books, that the reader starts spontaneously crashing and rebooting, and freezing.

This due to a full internal memory; probably it's unable to add anything to the database, since there's no space left on the flash memory. A small message telling me to remove some files from the internal memory would be appreciated. (I added about 2GB of Gutenberg LRF books on a SD card for testing purposes).

Another issue I want to adress, is if it has been proven when connecting the reader to the AC adaptor (I now have it plugged into my PSP adaptor), and when simultaneously connecting it to the USB port of a computer, if that could harm the reader/computer/adaptor or not?
You are talking about adding 2 powersources to the reader.

I had previous DAP players where they put in BIG letters in the manual to NOT connect the AC adaptor when the player is plugged in the computer, and just wanted to make sure if the reader has the same issue or not.
If anyone knows, please keep me updated!

Thanks!

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-20-2008 at 08:49 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I have had both my 500 and my 700 connected to the ac adapter as well as to the USB cable and there has been no problems at all -- I've been doing it that way with the 500 for 18 months with no problems, and with the 700 for the past week.

As for the internal memory thing -- on the 500 I found that if I left at least 1.5MB available there was never a problem with using the SD card, although it significantly slowed things down and I stopped using it (same for the Memory Stick).

With the 700 and memory stick pro duo and over 2000 books, there's no slowdown and no performance hit at all.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another issue I've been noticing about the reader is when putting it under direct sunlight the screen gets rasterized, and gets less sharp. Totally different from when i leave the screen inside a cold dark place.

The picture below shows the reader's screen outside for 3 minutes. I do have to say that the screen is not refreshed, only the arrows are, that's also where you can see the difference between black and how black looks like after a few minutes in sunlight and of no refresh:

*Edit: You'll have to see it in full size to see the rasterization. Also, on the pictures there's a shadow of a nearby fence.. I didn't take any other pictures, so I included them.*
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0086.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	633.7 KB
ID:	18153   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0087.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	632.2 KB
ID:	18154   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0088.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	641.2 KB
ID:	18155  

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-21-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The high temperature affects the E-Ink somehow, my guess would be the viscosity of the intenal liquid changes. The screen even has a built-in temperature sensor.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I guess it's a property of the e-ink screen indeed, and has nothing to do with Sony's model in particular.
I guess it'll be the same for every reader.
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 04:55 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It is. All eInk screens darken in strong direct sunlight. Not a problem we have very often in England .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptor, crash, freeze, power, reboot