Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
Uthred
Uthred began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Book summaries on the Kindle?

Im wondering is there any way to get book summaries of the books on your Kindle, either by pulling from amazon.com or maybe from the tags? (does the kindle support tags?)
Uthred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
There are at least 2 options that I know of.

Firstly you can make a change in preferences so that the social metadata and book cover get sent along with your book when you transfer to the Kindle.

NB: When I do this and open a book on my Kindle to look at this data I have to press previous page as it seems to open after the data. If I press back a few times I go backwards past the cover and into the data.

Preferences, Common options, Structure, Insert Metadata as page at start of book

The second option is to create a catalog.
A catalog is a file that gets transferred to you Kindle that can contain your entire library if you wish. It is searchable, and can include as much or as little info as you like.

It will have the covers, tags, summaries, social metadata the lot if you want.

There is a sticky for it in the Calibre forum here:-

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71143

Brewjohno.

Last edited by brewjono; 01-15-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Uthred
Uthred began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
Cheers
Uthred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks brewjono - that's a new one on me and I appreciate your explanation

+ karma when I'm allowed to again.
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
franklu
franklu began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post

Firstly you can make a change in preferences so that the social metadata and book cover get sent along with your book when you transfer to the Kindle.

NB: When I do this and open a book on my Kindle to look at this data I have to press previous page as it seems to open after the data. If I press back a few times I go backwards past the cover and into the data.

Preferences, Common options, Structure, Insert Metadata as page at start of book

The second option is to create a catalog.
A catalog is a file that gets transferred to you Kindle that can contain your entire library if you wish. It is searchable, and can include as much or as little info as you like.

It will have the covers, tags, summaries, social metadata the lot if you want.

There is a sticky for it in the Calibre forum here:-

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71143

Brewjohno.
Thanks,I'll try it.
franklu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:

I wish I had known this a long time ago! Thanks for the info and karma to you.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
davtay
The Continental
davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:

Preferences, Common options, Structure, Insert Metadata as page at start of the book

Brewjohno.

Is this a setting on the Kindle itself? I can't seem to figure out how to set it up. Or is this a setting in Calibre? Thanks for your help.

David.
davtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by davtay View Post
Is this a setting on the Kindle itself? I can't seem to figure out how to set it up. Or is this a setting in Calibre? Thanks for your help.

David.
It's a setting in Calibre - so the book gets modified when you send it to the Kindle device.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
davtay
The Continental
davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
It's a setting in Calibre - so the book gets modified when you send it to the Kindle device.
Okay, thanks. I did that, deleted the books from my kindle, made sure my metadata was filled out (cover, summaries etc.), then reloaded them, but info doesn't seem to be there. I backpaged from where kindle opens books, but the metadata other than the cover doesn't seem to be there.

Maybe it only puts it in there if I reconvert the format, but as they are already .mobi it didn't put it in?

David.

Last edited by davtay; 01-17-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #10
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I use the Calibre catalog feature and only have those books on my Kindle included in the catalog. To have my entire library in catalog form would make it too large. It really is one of Calibre's best features - love this. Good Luck!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #11
STrucks
STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.STrucks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Okay, thanks. I did that, deleted the books from my kindle, made sure my metadata was filled out (cover, summaries etc.), then reloaded them, but info doesn't seem to be there. I backpaged from where kindle opens books, but the metadata other than the cover doesn't seem to be there.

Maybe it only puts it in there if I reconvert the format, but as they are already .mobi it didn't put it in?

David.
I've found that to be the case as well. If I add the summary metadata to an epub and convert to mobi, it transfers to the kindle. If I add the data to an existing mobi file, it doesn't transfer over.

Also as a test I took an existing mobi file, added summary data and converted to mobi again. This time the information did transfer over.

Does anyone know of a way to get it to work without resorting to such a bizarre step?
STrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I'd think one way or the other, you'd have to convert the book again to incorporate new data into what is not just a text file where you can open it and place the new stuff up front, in the middle or even at the end. These files are "compiled" and whether your rename the process to "add metadata" or still call it "convert" would make no difference - somehow the old book needs to be processed (open/separate to appropriate components), the new data added and then reprocessed back to an appropriate mobi form (in this case).
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #13
davtay
The Continental

I am going to try and batch reconvert my Calibre library, delete my books off of my kindle and resend. Crossing fingers...
Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
davtay
The Continental

Quote:
I am going to try and batch reconvert my Calibre library, delete my books off of my kindle and resend. Crossing fingers...
Sorry to be quoting myself, but this is what I did. It took several hours to reconvert my Caliber library, but after conversion and reinstalling on the Kindle, the summaries are there. You just have to backpage from the beginning. Hope this helps.

David.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #15
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Sorry to be quoting myself, but this is what I did. It took several hours to reconvert my Caliber library, but after conversion and reinstalling on the Kindle, the summaries are there. You just have to backpage from the beginning. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just stick to adding summaries for new additions. I have way too many books and collections to do this. I'll just have to look at the Amazon descriptions for existing books.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote