Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
AtomicVGZ
AtomicVGZ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Question Not compatible with Instagram app?

Hi there!

I've been a proud owner of an Arc since November 2012 and this has me stumped. When I first got it I went and installed all my favorite apps, one of which was Instagram. As it turned out it was incompatible, so I thought no sweat I'll just wait till 4.1.1. Months later (today), along comes 4.1.1 and yet it still does not work.

I've Googled long and hard for a solution and ended up downloading the .apk from here which claimed that it was Arc compatible, yet when I installed it and tried to update Google Play was giving me the "not compatible" message.

So now I'm stuck with an app that I cannot log in to because I cannot update.

Can anyone with wizard levels of Android knowledge help me out and get this stupid thing to work?
AtomicVGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
If what you need is just the last version, try this link :

http://dl.papktop.com/2013/03/Instagram_3_4_4.apk

Coming from here :

http://www.eapktop.com/instagram-3-4-4.html and "Download via email"

Google is your friend...

Regards

Last edited by Dangze; 03-22-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicVGZ View Post
I've Googled long and hard for a solution and ended up downloading the .apk from here which claimed that it was Arc compatible, yet when I installed it and tried to update Google Play was giving me the "not compatible" message.
That's because Google Play will only update apps you've installed through it - all sideloaded apps are completely ignored, so you are not considered to have Instagram installed.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
That's because Google Play will only update apps you've installed through it - all sideloaded apps are completely ignored, so you are not considered to have Instagram installed.
Interesting but quite useless regarding the "help me out and get this stupid thing to work" AtomicVGZ expectation...
Old 03-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
for some incompatable apps i backed up the apk on my android phone with es file explorer then uploaded the backup to dropbox and then downloaded from dropbox to the arc. some apps are being released now that won't allow you to back them up as people were abusing the system.always get your apps legitimately and give the devs their due. when an update comes available you just do the whole thing over again

Last edited by stevov; 03-23-2013 at 01:19 PM.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Dangze
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
for some incompatable apps i backed up the apk on my android phone with es file explorer then uploaded the backup to dropbox and then downloaded from dropbox to the arc. some apps are being released now that won't allow you to back them up as people were abusing the system.always get your apps legitimately and give the devs their due. when an update comes available you just do the whole thing over again
You're right, but what about when the app is not compatible with the tablet for some reason (no GPS on Arc for example) ? Alternative solution has to be found...
Old 03-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangze View Post
You're right, but what about when the app is not compatible with the tablet for some reason (no GPS on Arc for example) ? Alternative solution has to be found...
if the app is truely incompatable due to the hardware and software limitations of the tablet then there is nothing for it but to buy another tablet that has the gps,bluetooth,OTG or whatever it is that the apps you want to download require. playstore may have 600,000 apps but that doesn't mean they all work on each and every android device.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangze View Post
I've found that if I get it from a store like "Aptoide" you can install the app regardless of the lack of gps etc because it is not "checked" for compatibility like it would be in Google Play.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote