Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #31
Artour
Artour began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
It also depends of the user.

For content usage (browsing internet or reading) 16GB is more than enough.

It starts adding when you download movies or music.
I have a 32GB iPad3 and at 1st regretted not getting the 64GB, but, I have since gotten a
Seagate GoFlex Satellite which is a 500GB portable battery operated wi fi hard drive which
wirelessly gives me access to my movies, photos, & music on the iPad, iPhone & iPod etc.
It's a little extra hardware to take with me but the amount of space it offers is so much more than the iPad alone.
Also, on another note, I do a lot of reading and have found that the Apple reader is laid out much better than the Nook or Kindle, although I do have lots of books in all 3 libraries. And, finally, I think that Zinio is the best app for magazines, good prices and great features.
Artour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #32
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
I agree that ideal storage capacity depends very much on individual preference and usage patterns. I have the 16 GB but don't keep much in the way of media on it. I read a lot of magazines and comics but delete them when they're read same as I would recycle a print copy. I do keep a lot of books in iBooks. Some music files but most of my music is on my iPhone (32 GB). So far I have yet to use more than 10 GB on my iPad.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #33
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've got a lot of friends and relatives who have so much junk piled into their garages that they cannot even get their cars into it! Ditto with the attics being piled up with junk. I'm surprised some of the ceilings haven't collapsed! I view the iPad 3 in the same way. If you have 64 GB you can most likely find enough stuff to fill it up. If you only have 16 GB like me, you can find a way to be happy with that amount of storage, or at least I did. But I never watch videos on it because I've got a large screen TV with much better sound system. I don't stock up on music as I rarely listen to music. Yeah I know that is odd but I never have been a stereo system kind of guy. I probably have less than 50 songs on any device I own!

Mostly I use my iPad 3 to surf the web, read books (# 1 activity) and magazines and PDFs, and run a few astronomy and weather apps. I do Storm Spotter volunteer work with the NWS during bad weather events in my county. The iPad has some of the best WX apps available. I also use it for Excel spreadsheets. But as you can see none of these things really take up that much storage space.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #34
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
A "jump box" for the car? hhhmmm? 1st I have heard of this

Jump box? what's the use?
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #35
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenyouth View Post
Jump box? what's the use?
To jump start the car when the car battery is low.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #36
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
It also depends of the user.

For content usage (browsing internet or reading) 16GB is more than enough.

It starts adding when you download movies or music.
Yes, well I suppose, that is obvious. For me (no spring chicken) I have about 40Gb for music or should I say, audio. Most is music but some is podcasts and audiobooks which I listen to a lot. I know I don't need all my music with me all the time but I have other apple products and its great how they all sync up.
Simply awesome!
Then I have some videos, quite a few apps and ebooks and pdfs
Yes, 64G is a little big but its great to know I have room for something extra in the future.
I remember I had a friend (a few years ago) who bought a new flat screen TV. He sort of rushed and got a 23" and regreted it after only a few weeks.
I often think about that when I buy something big (that intend to use for a few years)
anyway my 2c worth
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #37
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have a 64 GB iPad 3. My music collection is 20 GB. In the last four months I have added 12 GB of other stuff, games, books and the like. I suppose I could remove some stuff and have additional room but why bother? I like having the extra space, it works for me.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #38
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
When I purchased the first iPad it was 64GB/3G but with the purchase of my iPad2 I gave up the 3G as I discovered I didn't use it. When I got my iPad3 there was no doubt that I needed all 64GB. I wish they gave more. I do have an external hard drive (Go Flex) but don't use it much.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #39
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will be surprised if I use the full 64 GB but I am just starting to play with comic books and I can see myself downloading videos before travelling and the like. We shall see.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #40
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

and the difference in price between the 32G and the 64G is not a lot considering its double the memory!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #41
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Thread starter - How would you compare the reading comfort of the iPad3 and the Nexus 7 ?

Is the Nexus 7 "trash" next to the 3, in terms of sharpness ?
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #42
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've got a lot of friends and relatives who have so much junk piled into their garages that they cannot even get their cars into it! Ditto with the attics being piled up with junk. I'm surprised some of the ceilings haven't collapsed! I view the iPad 3 in the same way. If you have 64 GB you can most likely find enough stuff to fill it up. If you only have 16 GB like me, you can find a way to be happy with that amount of storage, or at least I did. But I never watch videos on it because I've got a large screen TV with much better sound system. I don't stock up on music as I rarely listen to music. Yeah I know that is odd but I never have been a stereo system kind of guy. I probably have less than 50 songs on any device I own!

Mostly I use my iPad 3 to surf the web, read books (# 1 activity) and magazines and PDFs, and run a few astronomy and weather apps. I do Storm Spotter volunteer work with the NWS during bad weather events in my county. The iPad has some of the best WX apps available. I also use it for Excel spreadsheets. But as you can see none of these things really take up that much storage space.
I have a hanger also but I have closed out my rental storage units for vehicles.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #43
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
All of my iPads (1, 2 and now 3) have been 64GB. I would not dream of buying one with less storage. I would love one 250GB. I try to leave 10% free, never know what might show up. My music takes up 5GB, comics/magazines 10GB, movies/TV about 10GB, apps are 10-20 because I have navigation maps and large books with loads of pictures and video and about 5GB of standard ebooks. What's left are in pictures.
Made the mistake of getting the 32GB when I first bought an iPad 2. Received a not enough space message the same weekend I received. Ended up giving it to my brother and getting a 64GB model for myself. Really wish at least a 128GB model was available. Right now, I've got 50GB worth of comics on the iPad and there are still occasions when I'd like to read something else. Unfortunately, unlike ebooks, downloading volumes of comics isn't really feasible when you're not at home and you don't have access to fast wifi.

I do have a Patriot Gauntlet Node and Kingston Wi-Drives but while they're okay for videos and music, they're no good for comics.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #44
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I just started getting caught up on my comics using the iPad. I can see how they are going to suck up space.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #45
injapan
Addict

amazing only 7 months after the ipad 3 is released the 4th generation iPad is here, faster and more extras (not many.... but)
I think they are trying to steal the fire from the windows 8 release (and all their tablets)