Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
dblb48
dblb48 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Torn: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle Touch, Basic Kindle

I am so torn, people with experience please weigh in.

Pros of kindle touch:
audio features. (How well does this work, do you use the read to you function? how many books support it?)
I have heard it's more "sturdy" than the Basic.

Cons of Kindle Touch:
No page turn buttons
Im leery of new touch screens (what if it fails)

Pros of Basic Kindle:
Cheap
Page turn buttons

Cons of Basic Kindle:
No audio
Heard it sort of "flimsy"

Pros of Nook Simple Touch:
Has page turn buttons
Seems to have better brand recognition (perhaps better quality?)

Cons:
No audio
Also touch screen personal issues (does it have tap to turn?)

MArket places are irrelevant as I could adapt to any market place and borrow books from friends. Initially I am thinking it is down to the two touch models, unless you tell me the touch has been failing in some cases.

I appreciate any help.

Last edited by dblb48; 12-09-2011 at 12:07 PM.
dblb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
dblb48
dblb48 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Basically it comes down to: Does the Audio feature outweigh the physical buttons?

also, which has a better user interface?
dblb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Market places are irrelevant as I will most likely torrent books I want.
Moderator Notice
Nobody is going to help you if you come to MobileRead and tell people that you are going to download books illegally. MobileRead is a strictly legitimate site which does not condone piracy in any form.

Last edited by HarryT; 12-10-2011 at 08:03 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
The Kindle Keyboard, if you can find it. It's similar to the Kindle 4 but much more sturdy with a better battery life, better page turn buttons and a real keyboard.
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyfromVA View Post
The Kindle Keyboard, if you can find it. It's similar to the Kindle 4 but much more sturdy with a better battery life, better page turn buttons and a real keyboard.
Kindle keyboard more sturdy? Ha!

Those flexed quite a bit, the new kindles (atleast non touch which is what I owned) are much better built.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Desvelada71
Desvelada71 will become famous soon enoughDesvelada71 will become famous soon enoughDesvelada71 will become famous soon enoughDesvelada71 will become famous soon enoughDesvelada71 will become famous soon enoughDesvelada71 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-650
The new Sony T1 is $99 until Dec 24 with a $50 credit if you turn in any old ereader.
I have a Sony PRS 650 and like it a lot.
Desvelada71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
The new kindle 4 or basic kindle is not flimsy..don't know where you heard that. I own both the kindle keyboard and the basic kindle or baby kindle and I prefer the baby kindle right now because of it's smaller size and because it's lighter. I also prefer the look of this as opposed the bit cheapy looking graphite kindle keyboard.

Can't comment on the touch because it's not for sale in my country. At least not through amazon. Reason I bought the basic kindle because I was a bit doubtful if I would miss the page turn buttons. I like these buttons. I also own a Sony PRS 650 touch screen e-reader and even on that I used my hardware buttons to turn pages.

As said before, it all depends on how important sound is for you, and if you think you'll miss the page turn buttons.

I don't own a Sony PRS-T1, but for now I would not buy it..seems there are a lot of bugs in this reader and Sony up to now has not done anything it seems to solve it. Here in Holland they even seem to deny to know of any problems while the forum of their site is full with it. I for one am glad I choose for the basic kindle over the new Sony reader.
Also they even upped the price here in Holland, from 149 euro's to 179 euro's. Seem we have to pay for making the reader cheaper in the US. So just for that I will not buy any Sony reader anymore for a long time.
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #8
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dax123 View Post
The new kindle 4 or basic kindle is not flimsy..don't know where you heard that. I own both the kindle keyboard and the basic kindle or baby kindle and I prefer the baby kindle right now because of it's smaller size and because it's lighter. I also prefer the look of this as opposed the bit cheapy looking graphite kindle keyboard.
I like that of "baby Kindle"
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
I like that of "baby Kindle"
Thanks. *grin* That's kind of the on going name of the new kindle with most female users it seems. Because it's more basic and of course it's the smallest and lightest of all kindles.
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by dax123 View Post
I don't own a Sony PRS-T1, but for now I would not buy it..seems there are a lot of bugs in this reader and Sony up to now has not done anything it seems to solve it.
Not true - Sony just released the firmware that supposedly addresses "touchscreen problems" a few days ago.

However, even after owning it since launch and finishing a few books on it, I've never had the freezing or page flip issues before the update.

Well actually, I had the touch screen die on me once after a few hours reading, but I was up and reading again after a 40 second reset.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 AM   #11
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Seems to me that Sony fits your requirements.

As for the price being much higher in Europe: that is really, really bad, but can be circumvented by buying from ebay or the flea market on this site.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #12
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well I have just checked and the Sony costs about 2x as much in my country (Hungary) than in the US. That is utterly ridiculous.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
You can't really circumvent the higher cost, the additional postage and lack of warranty doesn't seem to make it that worthwhile.

The current reduced price of the Sony PRS-T1 in the US is a lot cheaper than the non-touch Kindle sells for here in the UK! Including an extra $10 for sales tax to the $99, the total price equates to roughly £70, almost £20 cheaper than the Kindle - or almost £50 cheaper than the price of the PRS-T1.

That is exactly why if I was interested in a touch-screen reader, I'd wait to see the price of the Kindle Touch when it's released, or go for the Kobo Touch at £99.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 12-13-2011 at 02:38 PM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote