Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Kobo Android app downloads entire library to device?!?

I just installed the Kobo app on my Android phone, and now I'm waiting because it appears to be downloading my entire Kobo library to the device.

One word: Why? I should be able to browse the books in my account, and only have downloaded the current title(s) which I'm actually reading. My phone has limited storage space, so I don't see the point of using hundreds of megabytes to have the entire library downloaded. Thank goodness it didn't try to do this download while I was connected to my 3G data plan...

Mark
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:47 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I use the Android App as well. There is a setting so all that you get is the title, initially. It stops the downloads themselves. You can resume the full download on a particular book whenever you wish. My phone is elsewhere, so I can't tell you exactly where to look to adjust the settings to accomplish this.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlcarter View Post
I'm waiting because it appears to be downloading my entire Kobo library to the device.
If this works the same way as the Kobo Desktop and Wifi / Touch, you can go to the Kobo Website and to the My Library / I'm Reading section http://www.kobobooks.com/library/reading.html and "delete" the books you don't want.

This does not actually remove the books from your account, just the I'm Reading area.

The books are still present in the "My Purchases" section http://www.kobobooks.com/library/purchased.html and can be bookmarked on that page to re-add them to the I'm Reading section.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I checked on my phone (Android Nexus S). When I click on the menu icon in Kobo, I have a choice to "manage downloads". In my case, the only option is to resume them as I have them all stopped by default. I can resume all of them (would never do that), or one at a time, via the book's title listing in I'm Reading on my phone.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
If this works the same way as the Kobo Desktop and Wifi / Touch, you can go to the Kobo Website and to the My Library / I'm Reading section http://www.kobobooks.com/library/reading.html and "delete" the books you don't want.

This does not actually remove the books from your account, just the I'm Reading area.

The books are still present in the "My Purchases" section http://www.kobobooks.com/library/purchased.html and can be bookmarked on that page to re-add them to the I'm Reading section.
Hmm.. Does that affect the Reading stats in any way? (e.g. number of "books finished" count goes down..)
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Not at all sure..... sorry
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I have deleted books after I finish them and it does not mess with my reading stats.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:53 AM   #8
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I have deleted books after I finish them and it does not mess with my reading stats.
That's good to know.. I wonder if it is true for sideloaded or books borrowed from the library.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:52 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Yes, it appears to be true for any book.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:
Yes, it appears to be true for any book.
Excellent.. Then the only time the book stats get zeroed out is if you do a factory reset..
Old 10-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite

After you do a factory re-set, your stats from the last sync are restored when you connect again via WiFi or through the desktop application. I sync once a day just to keep everything up to date.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:58 AM   #12
Xennex1170
Addict

Quote:
After you do a factory re-set, your stats from the last sync are restored when you connect again via WiFi or through the desktop application. I sync once a day just to keep everything up to date.
Is that a recent thing? I lost my stats each time I did a factory reset up till version .12.. I skipped .11.