Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
chrisnewton
chrisnewton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Format issue with E-Pub

Hi all

I have bought my mam a Sony PRS-350 Book reader for xmas and downloaded a book from waterstones on xmas day and no problems at all, today i went on the same site and purchased another book today, i put it on the reader and its displaying it in a weird format.

It is showing about 4 words per line and all centralised in the middle of the page, for example

The book is reading
like this and it
looks really silly

Its like the above but all in the middle of the page

Any ideas whats gone wrong and if it can be fixed

Many Thanks

Chris
chrisnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's the fault of the book; it has very wide margins set. I'd suggest that you e-mail the bookstore and ask for a refund.

There's nothing that you can do about it unless you're willing to strip the DRM from the book and edit it yourself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
chrisnewton
chrisnewton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
thanks i would not know how to do that so i have mailed the store, does this happen alot??
chrisnewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's the fault of the book; it has very wide margins set. I'd suggest that you e-mail the bookstore and ask for a refund.

There's nothing that you can do about it unless you're willing to strip the DRM from the book and edit it yourself.
Does the 350 have the new margin crop feature? That might work if it does.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
ritoroy
Enthusiast
ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.ritoroy knows what's going on.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's the fault of the book; it has very wide margins set.
I would try reducing the font-size or going to Page Mode and using the Margin Cut option. The Reader will remember this display setting for the title.
ritoroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnewton View Post
Hi all

I have bought my mam a Sony PRS-350 Book reader for xmas and downloaded a book from waterstones on xmas day and no problems at all, today i went on the same site and purchased another book today, i put it on the reader and its displaying it in a weird format.

It is showing about 4 words per line and all centralised in the middle of the page, for example

The book is reading
like this and it
looks really silly

Its like the above but all in the middle of the page

Any ideas whats gone wrong and if it can be fixed

Many Thanks

Chris
Are all the left-most letters of the three lines aligned vertically in a column, or is each line centered in the middle of the page. If the former then the publisher probably set the margins too big. If the latter then the publisher might have placed the entire text inside CENTER tags are used TEXT-ALIGN: CENTER in the CSS stylesheet. Either way it is the publishers mistake and you should definitely report the book to the bookstore.

Most books won't look like this, but occasionally the publishers seem to forget about margins and other settings that adversely affect small screen devices. For example, a 1" margin is fine in a printed book, but is bad on a device that is only 3" or 4" wide.