Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
Thumbs up PDF conversion way better than Sony

I took a pdf file of our HOA covenants, no conversion or optimization whatsoever, and emailed it to my kindle account. Text has reflowed perfectly into the kindle format, retaining bold formatting and paragraph marks. Amazingly better than our best attempt to solve this with the Sony Reader. That alone makes the kindle my replacement.
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Wow, and it didn't cost you a dime! Oh, wait, that's exactly what it cost you!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll go back to my corner and snicker to myself quietly for a while.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdor View Post
I took a pdf file of our HOA covenants, no conversion or optimization whatsoever, and emailed it to my kindle account. Text has reflowed perfectly into the kindle format, retaining bold formatting and paragraph marks. Amazingly better than our best attempt to solve this with the Sony Reader. That alone makes the kindle my replacement.
Try the same file using MobiPocket Reader for the PC and see how it converts the file. I suspect it will be the same.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Wow, and it didn't cost you a dime! Oh, wait, that's exactly what it cost you!
Conversion is free. The dime is the charge for sending it via Sprint to the Kindle, and this is optional.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:19 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I stand csensativityorrected: it may not have cost him her a dime.

Last edited by NatCh; 11-29-2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: gender sensitivity
Old 11-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
jmdor
Enthusiast
jmdor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle; ex-Sony PRS500
It cost her a dime because my usb conection wasn't handy, but I could have done it for free.
jmdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdor View Post
It cost her a dime because my usb conection wasn't handy, but I could have done it for free.
Oops, my bad. I'll add you to my mental list of Female MobileReaders.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #8
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
Natch, with Texas being so big, how long until you can reach a corner :-)
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMascaro View Post
Natch, with Texas being so big, how long until you can reach a corner :-)
Well, my little chunk of Texas, here at the Republic's Embassy In Jackson, TN is relatively small, and my office smaller yet, so I'm about 4 feet away from the nearest corner. I'm also about 5 hours away from the nearest point on the Texas Border itself.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
I spent 5 years in the Republics inner fortress at Ft Hood. Still have about 30 or so friends there.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:19 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, yes, Ft. Hood. My Scout troop camped there years ago, I have fond memories of climbing all over tanks.

I have a few friends from the Killeen area myself.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I am still here in the Killeen area. Ft Hood was my last duty station and sfter I retired I was tired of moving. Too bad you all left. We could have had a meet up.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

I was in Austin for a few years at the turn of the millennium, a meet up might have been a good possibility.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 PM   #14
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
I am still here in the Killeen area. Ft Hood was my last duty station and sfter I retired I was tired of moving. Too bad you all left. We could have had a meet up.
I spent a year at Fort Hood in the 70's. Live in Dallas area now.

Bob
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:05 AM   #15
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
I'm sure there's some really simple step I'm missing WRT reading PDF conversions, so I hope someone can help me out!

I sent a PDF file to Amazon through my free.kindle.com address and got the converted .azw file back. I dl'ed it to my computer, to a file folder where I'm collecting things to put on the Kindle when it arrives (Dec. 20! I hope!).

[Thanks to HarryT and Slayda, I downloaded MobiPocket Reader and Creator and have been successfully converting Word and .txt files to .prc files.]

My question is this: How do I open that converted PDF file in MobiReader? Do I need to rename it and save it as a .prc file? How do I do that? I can't tell if the conversion worked because I can't open the file.

I've tried importing through the Reader interface. I've tried using Windows Explorer to pull it to an SD card and then open it. Nothing works.

Help?
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote