Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Peter Hon
Peter Hon began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note
Android Kindle store can only see Chinese books

Dear all,
Just before, when I browse kindle store in my android. It shows the English interface and books. Now when I browse kindle store, it shows chinese interface and books. How can I let kindle show English interface and English books. I am using it in Hong Kong. I do not like Chinese books.
Peter Hon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
Just want to add that, as a foreigner living in China and not speaking the language, I understand why some pages default to Chinese when they are viewed in China but it drives me nuts when they force you to use the local page only. They seem to forget that not every person lives in their country of birth. Google is very bad for this. It can be almost impossible sometimes to get it to stay on an English page. I imagine something like that is going on with the Kindle store.
When I use my Nexus 7 Android tablet, it forces me to the Chinese Android App store. I have to use my VPN to get it to look at an English store. Very frustrating.
Apple does it right. Whatever store you login to in the settings is the store you go to regardless where you are. As well, on their webpage, there is a nice link to every other language page you would want, with pictures of the flags. Google will have a list of languages you can change do but it is useless when it is all written in Chinese characters. I have to choose one at random and then hope it is a western style language so I can figure out which option is for English. Ridiculous system.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
Just want to add that, as a foreigner living in China and not speaking the language, I understand why some pages default to Chinese when they are viewed in China but it drives me nuts when they force you to use the local page only. They seem to forget that not every person lives in their country of birth. Google is very bad for this. It can be almost impossible sometimes to get it to stay on an English page. I imagine something like that is going on with the Kindle store.
When I use my Nexus 7 Android tablet, it forces me to the Chinese Android App store. I have to use my VPN to get it to look at an English store. Very frustrating.
Apple does it right. Whatever store you login to in the settings is the store you go to regardless where you are. As well, on their webpage, there is a nice link to every other language page you would want, with pictures of the flags. Google will have a list of languages you can change do but it is useless when it is all written in Chinese characters. I have to choose one at random and then hope it is a western style language so I can figure out which option is for English. Ridiculous system.
For a lot of websites in China; among them Skype, Yahoo, Google; they only allow you to access local websites. (there is an English version of the Skype China website). This is for censorship reasons. I couldn't even access Google market from my phone unless I go through Wifi and a VPN.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:06 AM   #4
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Skype in China is a serious pain. If you go to the Skype site, it forces you to to go to Tom Skype, the Chinese site. If you have the misfortune of actually installing it, you have to deal with the forced ads that appear and the internal censorship. It was found that there were flags in the program that let someone know you were typing in forbidden words, like Falun Gong, freedom, democracy, etc. If you have a Mac or Linux, you are out of luck since there are no versions available in China for it and you are not allowed to download the version from North America.
Of course, if you have a VPN, you can easily get a copy. All of my students have VPN on their computers and are quite fluent with their operation. This entire blocking of the internet is futile.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Swift View Post
Skype in China is a serious pain. If you go to the Skype site, it forces you to to go to Tom Skype, the Chinese site. If you have the misfortune of actually installing it, you have to deal with the forced ads that appear and the internal censorship. It was found that there were flags in the program that let someone know you were typing in forbidden words, like Falun Gong, freedom, democracy, etc. If you have a Mac or Linux, you are out of luck since there are no versions available in China for it and you are not allowed to download the version from North America.
Of course, if you have a VPN, you can easily get a copy. All of my students have VPN on their computers and are quite fluent with their operation. This entire blocking of the internet is futile.
They made a lot of progress in blocking VPN lately, I have noticed. Only OpenVPN works at all, and usually not for long before you have to reconnect.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
Tom Swift
Addict

I gave up on OpenVPN since they started messing around with it. I find that PPTP works great however.