Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
tedwinters
tedwinters began at the beginning.

Device: none
help: Sony 505 or Nook??

I have the opportunity to buy a new red 505, or a Nook... I live in Canada, so can't use any of the Nook's 'instore reading', 'online purchasing', etc.
They're both the same price.

I've heard wonderful things about the text quality on the 505, and great things about the contrast on the Nook....

Does anybody have any input or direct comparisons? I've seen the flickr gallery of the sony vs the nook - but don't have any 'feel' for the nook...
tedwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'd go for the 505 myself.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Well, I have a 505 and I think it's great. But, I haven't ever had my hands on a Nook so it's impossible for me to know how it compares.

I'd advise the same as I always advise - try to get a hands-on trial of each and go for the one that you feel suits your needs best. If I've learnt one thing from reading these forums, it's that personal preference makes a huge difference with these devices.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I believe the screens are going to be almost identical wrt readability, contrast, etc. as they are from the same manufacturer...the differences are going to be in operation/ui/etc.

And yes if you can try it out, that's always best.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
tedwinters

I can order the 505 online (here in Canada), but will try the nook handson on Tuesday when I'm in the states!
Sounds like I can't really go wrong with either of them - since text clarity is one of my primary desires. Thanks!
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
I've been doing extensive research online about all three major e-readers and from several videos you can tell the text and viewing ability is clearer on the Nook/Kindle than the Sony. The text simply does not display as clearly on the Sony. There are several videos on YouTube comparing the two displays.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:06 AM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
FireRunner--The viewability on the Sony 505 is superior to viewability of their newer models. In my opinion, the 505 has one of the best e-ink displays around. The newer models added a touch screen at the cost of clarity.

My husband has a 700 and a 900 and my 505 beats them hands down. I've compared my 505 to both a nook and a kindle and personally find all three to be similar in regards to viewability.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwinters View Post
I have the opportunity to buy a new red 505, or a Nook... I live in Canada, so can't use any of the Nook's 'instore reading', 'online purchasing', etc.
They're both the same price.

I've heard wonderful things about the text quality on the 505, and great things about the contrast on the Nook....

Does anybody have any input or direct comparisons? I've seen the flickr gallery of the sony vs the nook - but don't have any 'feel' for the nook...
I have a 505 and have seen the Nook. The Nook strikes me as having a lighter background and better contrast. It also has more font sizes, IIRC.

I prefer the 505 because it is smaller than the Nook, has a more defined page border, and because I find the Nook's secondary screen distracting when trying to read. But it's really a "your mileage may vary" situation.

I suggest you read around the forum to check on other factors, such as computer interface. I've had problems with the (Mac) Sony Library software & my 505, while having none with the software and my 300. I think maybe the 505 has become a stepchild for Sony.

(These days I don't even bother with Library for my 505 - I use calibre, and use the 505 primarily for reading internet articles downloaded from Instapaper to calibre.)
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can order the 505 online (here in Canada), but will try the nook handson on Tuesday when I'm in the states!
Sounds like I can't really go wrong with either of them - since text clarity is one of my primary desires. Thanks!
Let us know what you think!
Old 02-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
tedwinters

Thanks for the replies!

So I was able to find a silver 505 instore before i left to the States... I know I said 'text quality' was one of my primary concerns.. ignore that statement!

I picked it up, used it for a night, then

hacked Sony to:
Change the font to Caecilia
Enable right control pad to change pages
Enable a clock
It was definitely much better after the hack... I loved having 3 ways to flip pages, loved having the clock, and the font was an improvement
I used it during my 7 hours of flying and the first few nights in the hotel...

Then I tried the nook, and figured I'd buy it and offload it here in Canada if I didn't like it...
I used it in it's default mode for a few nights in the hotel, and then the rest of the trip back...

Once i got home, I

soft rooted the nook to:
Change button positions
Enable Trook to download books from Calibre, read online rss feeds

Nook Pros:
-Nook has a nicer default font (although I could hack the Sony to achieve the same effect) (basically a bold font that has slightly more perceived contrast)
-Nook comes with a clock by default and a nicer organizational reading layout including book title, time, page, graphical bar representation of position in book
-Nook has Wifi and can be soft rooted for extra functionality
-Nook has a nice colour touch screen
-Nook has fun backgrounds and screensavers - and you can make your own
-Comes with wall adapter for charging via micro usb port
-I *think* Nook changes pages forward on epub a bit faster, back a bit slower
-New firmware still being developed
-Nicer hacks

Nook Cons:
-Very bad battery life - It lasts me 1 or 2 books
-Thicker, heavier than Sony
-Cover costs extra
-**Can't go directly to a page**
-Doesn't support lrf (I like LRF on the sony - even though it's been discontinued)
-Need to pop the back to insert a microsd card
-Uses Micro USB cord (the only component I have that does)
-cheaper feel

Sony 505 Pros:
-Thinner, better feel (aluminum)
-Even with leather cover on, thinner, smaller and lighter than Nook
-Uses more standard components (regular (mini) usb, SD Card or Memory Stick)
-Easy to insert SD Card
-Excellent battery life
-Can navigate anywhere in a book by manually typing a page number, or by holding down the page forward/back buttons to skip multiple pages
-Looks sexier - not a 'big chunk of white plastic'

Sony Cons:
-No wifi
-Needs to be hacked for most pleasant experience (clock)
-no fun gimmicks - no backgrounds/screensavers
-Very expensive and complex battery replacement
-Wall adapter costs extra

Overall:
Text quality can't be used for a comparison - too similar.

I'm a sucker... The gimmicks of the nook won me over... I'll put up with the bad battery life, the clunkier/cheaper feel, and the inability to directly navigate to a page in order to customize it with my own pictures, read RSS feeds, and use Trook.

If I was a basic international user, I'd take the Sony - just because it's smaller, more elegant, comes with a leather cover, and is easier to use/understand.

I really don't want to get rid of the sony - but it just doesn't have the 'fun' factor of the nook. I really like the Nook's backgrounds and screensavers It's also completely discontinued.

I'm keeping the Nook - but it's a really tough choice.. I might keep the 505 as well....

Last edited by tedwinters; 02-21-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
I'm keeping the Nook - but it's a really tough choice.. I might keep the 505 as well....
heh heh. Welcome to the eBook Reader Addiction Club (eBRAC). The club is run by some guy in England named Harry, who seems to have every reader since the invention of papyrus.

For your next test, hie thee to the calibre forum. Learn to download from News. In particular, check out Instapaper, under Unknown.

These days, Before iPad, I find that I am using my 505, rather than my computer, for reading most internet, news, & magazine articles - all thanks to calibre & Instapaper. As I run into things on my computer that I want to read later, I offload them to Instapaper, and have calibre set up to retrieve the day's haul at midnight, to carry around with me the next day.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #12
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

I really don't want to get rid of the sony - but it just doesn't have the 'fun' factor of the nook. I really like the Nook's backgrounds and screensavers It's also completely discontinued.

Great review. I have a Nook and my wife has Kindle2. Before I came to this forum they were the only 2 ereaders I knew about. But from what I have learned the Sony 505 seems like a reader I could be happy with.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook, sony