Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
bookmarks-how do e-devices handle them?

Hi,

thanks for reading my post. There is one thing I would love to learn about e-devices and that is - how do they handle bookmarks? I love to use post-it bookmarks in real books to mark the lines where an excerpt that interests me begins. That is usually enough for me to use my bookmarks quickly later. I don't need to highlight the text itself. I love this so much I can't imagine profiting from an e-book without an ability to insert such bookmarks. I would love to know - is this a common thing with today's e-devices or is it completely sci-fi?

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards

Pavel
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Almost all ebook devices have a way to bookmark, even the ones that don't allow highlighting. (I'd say "all," but I can't swear to that.) It's very easy to mark a page to go back to later. Different readers have different limits on how many pages can be bookmarked.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Almost all ebook devices have a way to bookmark, even the ones that don't allow highlighting. (I'd say "all," but I can't swear to that.) It's very easy to mark a page to go back to later. Different readers have different limits on how many pages can be bookmarked.
Thanks for replying and I am sorry I may have sounded confusing. Bookmarking a page is not an option I am looking for at all. I need the bookmarks to be placed on specific lines (or words of course) - if that is at all possible?

Best regards,

Pavel
Old 10-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelh View Post
Bookmarking a page is not an option I am looking for at all. I need the bookmarks to be placed on specific lines (or words of course) - if that is at all possible?
On the Kindle, a new bookmark is created at the top of the current page. Since the page size depends on the font size, this could be anywhere in the ebook. If you want a particular line or word, this would be a highlight - which are also available on the Kindle. You can display and search the highlighted text (it is stored in a plain text file) and go back to a highlight. There is a per book "clippings" limit, which I think applies to highlights as well.

On the Hanln V3 and V5 (EZ Reader's, BeBook's, and other names) using mobile Adobe Digital Editions, a bookmark is at the top of the "physical" page. Which is an actual page in a PDF and a fixed amount of text by default in an ePub.

I'm not sure about other Readers, but it makes sense to me that a bookmark marks a page and a highlight marks a passage of text. Some Readers don't have highlighting. See Wiki: E-book Reader Matrix, which has a "Note taking / highlighting / underlining" row.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
pavelh
Zealot

2 wallcraft:
Wow! Thank you!!

Pavel
Advert