Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-30-2016, 07:30 AM   #61
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
They will be selling $50 converter for people that want to use old headphones.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #62
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
They will be selling $50 converter for people that want to use old headphones.
Link?
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #63
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post
Link?
Thats how apple works no need to provide link they did the same with macbook air.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ...tiport-adapter
Old 01-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #64
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thats how apple works no need to provide link they did the same with macbook air.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ...tiport-adapter
I think those are two different things.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #65
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Unless there are inexpensive adapters (and $50 is not inexpensive to me) that provide excellent audio quality and don't require frequent charging, this will most likely have me switch from my iphone to an android phone on my next upgrade. It doesn't look like a bluetooth adapter would work for me (too frequent charging). I would need at least 2 adapters.

I hope Apple provides at least a couple more generations of iphones with stereo jacks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #66
Dopedangel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Unless there are inexpensive adapters (and $50 is not inexpensive to me) that provide excellent audio quality and don't require frequent charging, this will most likely have me switch from my iphone to an android phone on my next upgrade. It doesn't look like a bluetooth adapter would work for me (too frequent charging). I would need at least 2 adapters.

I hope Apple provides at least a couple more generations of iphones with stereo jacks.
Apple will be probably selling their own adapter for $40-50.00 but 3rd party adapters would be cheaper $5-10 probably.
Tweaking apple users aside if they are smart they should provide a converter with the a new phone for free.
Btw do you really need to upgrade with no phone contracts being common now and the last generation of phones including iphones are good enough. You could probably save $30 a month from your cellphone bill.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #67
Shane R
Fanatic

Quote:
Btw do you really need to upgrade
This.

Cellphones useful life is a lot longer than two years, especially if you aren't a 'power user' who needs the added processing power that silicon upgrades bring.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #68
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I will keep my IPhone until it can no longer be upgraded, then I will decide if I need the upgrades that a new IPhone will offer me.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #69
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Btw do you really need to upgrade with no phone contracts being common now and the last generation of phones including iphones are good enough. You could probably save $30 a month from your cellphone bill.
Define "Really Need".
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #70
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Me either. It's just an attempt to boost profits by selling more proprietary accessories. And what's the point in making these things ultra-thin when everyone puts a thick case on them anyway? (Not just Apple -- all thin devices.)
I wonder if they've considered what would happen if the manufacturers simply did not support the move away from the 3.5mm connector, one supported by everyone else. I don't know the specific numbers but I doubt that Apple has the majority of devices that use a headphone-type jack considering that it is more than just phones (I made a quick estimate and I think I have at least a dozen items that have a 3.5mm headphone jack).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #71
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I wonder if they've considered what would happen if the manufacturers simply did not support the move away from the 3.5mm connector, one supported by everyone else.
Wouldn't matter, Apple would be fine if iPhone owners had no choice but Apple accessories, and lots of owner would seem to be fine with that too.

Last edited by ApK; 01-30-2016 at 01:27 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #72
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I wouldn't buy another iPad if they did away with the 3.5mm headphone jack, it would Would be too much of a PITA carrying another adaptor or set of headphones.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #73
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post
1. There are still plenty of iPhone 4's and 5's in use. Some of those came out 4+ years ago.

2. The batteries can be replaced. There are kits you can buy, places you can visit, or Apple themselves can do it for you in one of their stores or via mail-in.

It costs, but it's much less than the price of a new iPhone.

In light of that evidence though, it's just wrong to say a dead battery automatically equals the end of the devices useful life.

About the headphone jack: there would (presumably) be adapters that would allow you to use your old headphones with jack-less iDevices.
When it comes to the life of a device, I think it depends on the device. When it comes to iPods with hard drives, my opinion has been that when the battery wears out its likely that the iPod's hard drive has also reached the end of its useful life.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:36 PM   #74
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
My solution is not to buy Apple products. I hadn't actively avoided them before, but if I can't plug in headphones, I may have to start actively avoiding them.
The only Apple product I'm currently using is an iPod Classic. The only reason I purchased it is because of its large capacity (160gb), larger than any other player available at the time. However, since then the capacity of some flash players (like my Sony NWZ-A17 Walkman which can reach 192gb of capacity with a memory card) have exceeded the capacity of the iPod Classic.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #75
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I will keep my IPhone until it can no longer be upgraded, then I will decide if I need the upgrades that a new IPhone will offer me.
My wife had here iPhone 3 upgraded to a 6 last Christmas.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote