Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Copyright Office asking for opinions on DRM, Defective By Design replies

https://www.defectivebydesign.org/dm...ention-comment

Quote:
[...] Finally, the folks in Washington are starting to listen. On December 29th, 2015, the United States Copyright Office put out a Notice and Request for Public Comment on the anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA. Congress asked them to study the effects of the anti-circumvention rules and the process of granting exemptions. This call for comment presents us with a rare opportunity to have our voice heard when they are finally paying attention.

But if they just hear from us, they might go on ignoring our pleas. That is why we need your voice added to the chorus. We have prepared a comment to be submitted that we want you to co-sign. Each co-signer represents another person who is fed up and wants a return of control to the user. As we make clear in our comment, a band-aid won't fix the gaping wounds caused by this broken system: we have to stop this attack on user freedom once and for all by repealing the DMCA's anti-circumvention provisions.
I can't say that I had even realized the Copyright Office was interested in caring. Possibly I wasn't the only one.

You can sign the petition here: https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/profile/c...id=439&reset=1
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
@eschwartz,

Thanks for the link to the petition, but why is it necessary to create a FSF account just to sign it? I would like to sign, but I have no interest in being a member of the FSF.

Regards,
Eric
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I have no idea, to be honest.

I have enough throwaway accounts in various places, that I don't really consider it a big burden to create another. So I signed it -- they would get my name and city either way, and record it on a piece of paper, so it's not a big loss that they keep my name in a database too.

If they are trying to get me to become an activist I am afraid I must disappoint...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Note that several us contributed comments to the rule making process the last time around to ask for an anti-circumvention exemption for space-shifting.
(We're in the federal register, yea!)

Be aware that, while I'm sure that comments and logical arguments can't hurt, they made it clear that mere plain-language opinions were of no interest to them.
They want legal opinions and arguments formally addressing relevant matters of law (copyright, commerce, civil rights, whatever).
So we, as a community, would be much more effective if we hire a lawyer to draft a comment for us.

Last edited by ApK; 02-19-2016 at 08:52 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
So we, as a community, would be much more effective if we hire a lawyer to draft a comment for us.
Thank you for volunteering to organise this.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #6
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Thank you for volunteering to organise this.
Hehe. You seem to have confused me with someone who has time and energy.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
We HAVE US lawyers on MR don't we?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #8
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
We HAVE US lawyers on MR don't we?
But an Intellectual Property lawyer is needed.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #9
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Ideally, but any lawyer who could frame the arguments appropriately, maybe just remembering IP classes from law school, would be better than nothing.

Last time, even our extemporaneous musings were at least heard and acknowledged, and they told us what we were missing.

So now, if we can at least give them what they asked for, prompting a more considered response, that would be good, even if it isn't a brilliant legal argument based on cutting-edge IP experience.

So any lawyers want to do some pro bono work for the community? Or pro latte, 'cuz I'm sure we could chip in and buy you a cup of coffee.

ApK
Old 02-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #10
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
That was my point.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #11
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
That was my point.
Yes, I'm agreeing with you, and explaining why to L.Egret.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Why do we need a smart real estate lawyer?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:12 AM   #13
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Why do we need a smart real estate lawyer?
See, it's comments like this that are the reason none of the other children will play with you
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote