Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
So anyone still have the reader noticed during travel?

I was thinking about this yesterday. Since getting my iLiad way back in 2006, and more recently with the 505 I still get asked questions about them at least once a week, in fact last week I had 3 seperate people asking what it was, commenting how crisp and easy to read the screen was and where they could get one.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Yes, constantly. The typical opening question is "Are you reading?" As opposed to general computing, I assume. I either answer "yes" and give a demo, or depending on my mood, "well, I was" or "no, really I'm just trying to get your attention".

Oh, I'm a smooth one.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
I don't get as many questions - but I do notice it getting second glances
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by khourianya View Post
I get them too. There is at least one bloke who sits near to me regularly from canary wharf and spends the entire trip stealing glances at it.

I've been seriously temped to Upload an rtf with a rique comment just to see his reaction...
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by khourianya View Post
Me too! I pretend it's me they are lusting after, because it is too disappointing to acknowledge that they are drooling over my reader. :D
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Yes, constantly. The typical opening question is "Are you reading?" As opposed to general computing, I assume. I either answer "yes" and give a demo, or depending on my mood, "well, I was" or "no, really I'm just trying to get your attention".

Oh, I'm a smooth one.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I've had a couple people on airplanes this year take note of it and ask if it's an ebook device. I show them the screen and demonstrate how it's more readable than a traditional LCD, they ask some questions (usually about how many books it can hold, where does one get the books, etc). I'm always perfectly happy to promote the device, since I'm a pretty big proponent of e-ink and ebooks in general.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I still do. I also get weird looks because I put my Reader in a carved out book. They think there's something wrong about that, for some reason. Last trip to Baltimore, I gave out 5 demos.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I use mine at the gym a lot and get odd looks and questions. Some have asked why I am staring so intently at a PDA only to be very interested when I show them it's an eBook device.

Last edited by MickeyC; 07-13-2008 at 07:48 AM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #10
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Mine got noticed at the dentist's office, first by the receptionists who called one of the dental hygienists over. I gave a demonstration to them as to how it worked and left one of the cards that tells about where to get one. Before i got the shot of Novocaine I showed it to my dentist and his assistant too, he was really interested in it and decided then and there to get one for his wife. He said she would be so surprised since he wasn't too creative gift wise. I gave him the last card I had, told him they were also available at Borders and that I had seen them at the nearest one only the day before and then he gave me the Novocaine!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
My Kindle gets noticed even when I'm *not* reading on it.

I boarded the AA flight from Newark to Dallas, pulled out my Kindle and a paper-back book (to read during take-off and landing) and settled into my chair. Fell asleep shortly after take-off with the paperback book in my hand. I woke just as the drinks cart got to my row. The flight attendant (who had been on my Dallas-to-Newark flight on Monday) says, "weren't you reading on one of those things on the last flight?" I reached into the seat-back pocket and pulled out my Kindle, and she said she wanted to come back later for a demo and to talk about it.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #12
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I've done the AA Dallas-to-Newark flight frequently. I wonder if we've been on the same plane?
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #13
jason.rs
jason.rs began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I give a demo to about every 1 in 5 people who see me reading. Second glances are much more common though. I will say that it gets a bit annoying after like 3 demos in a few hours' time. There were times when I ended up talking more than reading...

The Dallas-Newark flight must be popular, I've been on it twice returning from the Caribbean last year.
jason.rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
I get asked all the time "Oh, is that a Kindle?"

nobody ever asks me if it's the Sony Reader.

So I have to go into a lengthy explanation of the differences as I understand them (never having held a Kindle) and explain that I had the Reader before the Kindle and still think I would buy a Reader if I were to buy one today.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:39 AM   #15
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Different device, but similar stories here.
I get asked mostly in the train about it, some people do know what it is but they've never seen one in person.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote