Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
prushellen
prushellen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sony PRS-T1 better than any Kindle?

Read an article about Sony PRS-T1 Product is it better than the kindles? Or is equally good?
prushellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
No, it is not better.

It is roughly comparable: Better for some uses, not quite as good at others.
Ditto for Nook, Kobo, Pocketbook, and Bookeen.

You need to decide for youself what you want to use the reader for, what you *need* it to do for you and *how* you want to do those things. Reviews and user experiences can be useful but not final.
That is strictly up to you.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
All the e-readers are compromised in one way or another, you just have to decide which is the best fit for you. I have a K4 and I love the form factor and the placement of the hardware page turn buttons, I dislike the lack of epub compatibility and expandable storage. I have a nook Simple Touch, which is okay, but a bit too chunky and the hardware page buttons suck. I'm thinking of picking up a T1 and selling the Nook.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I can't say one is better than the other. I have the T1, KT & NookSTR. I have to say I've been using the KT more & more because of the ease of use & purchasing (the store & it's suggestions are probably the best of all 3). But I like the T1 for so many of the types of books I like to read (the dictionaries are wonderful). My big problem with my T1 right now is getting calibre to recognize it. The Nook I agree is a bit clunky. Not so bad outside the cover, but the covers are atrocious in my opinion. And they may as well have kept the buttons off. They are hard to press.

So it all comes down to, what you like & what you are going to use the reader for. I do admit you really don't get to know a reader till you have tried outside a store. I had tried all 3 at the store & liked all 3 very much. But daily use finds me favoring one over the others.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
My big problem with my T1 right now is getting calibre to recognize it.
Calibre recognizes my T1 just fine, maybe you need an update?

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffwood View Post
I have a nook Simple Touch, which is okay, but a bit too chunky and the hardware page buttons suck. I'm thinking of picking up a T1 and selling the Nook.
Not sure how big the Nook is, and I love my T1 but I wouldn't describe it as small although it is very light. In fact, the inconvenience of its size away from home is why I purchased a PRS-350 - well, along with the 350's low price.

Last edited by no.guru; 01-03-2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Engrish
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
Calibre recognizes my T1 just fine, maybe you need an update?

Vic
Sorry about the hijack

Oh yeah the update. I did the update & suddenly my old calibre was gone with all the books I had on it. Lucky it recognized my Sony 350 & I could re-download them. When I get home this evening I'm going to search further to see if I can find the old calibre on my computer somewhere. I do have all my books in a download folder on my computer.

I just wish I was more savvy with calibre & the computer. I just use it for boards & e-mail & downloading books.

EDIT Got it figured out. Had no trouble with my PC at work but for some reason was having trouble with my Mac. Phew!!!

Last edited by Pomtroll; 01-03-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I don't know about the T1, but I love my Sony 950 and my Kindles equally.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #9
YukonTrooper
YukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueYukonTrooper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle 3G
I have the T1 and the K3. Overall, I prefer the K3 and feel that it's a more polished product.
YukonTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #10
prushellen

I've heard that the sony software for most readers is not really user friendly ?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by prushellen View Post
I've heard that the sony software for most readers is not really user friendly ?
That's funny, because it seems that most people think that the software on the older PRS models (500x, 600x, 650x, 900x, etc etc) was more user friendly than the Kindle models.

Personally, I don't think there is an ereader device that stands above the rest of the pack, hardware wise. If we want to talk about the better model in terms of software, than I would have to say the T1 because of the ability to root and do your own customizations on it. I have no idea what you can do with the Kindle so my opinion doesn't have the factual knowledge about kindles to back it up.

Some people have said that the Kindle 4 looks sharper and crisper than the T1 but I believe this was due to the fonts/anti-aliasing engine used between the two. I've negated K4's advantage over the T1 by rooting and using the same font on my T1 that the K4 uses, PMN Caecila. My T1 looks just as good, if not better, than the K4 screen. Also, FBreader and Coolreader have better font rendering and anti-aliasing than the built in reader app.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...ot_nonroot.png
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
prushellen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayseidel View Post
That's funny, because it seems that most people think that the software on the older PRS models (500x, 600x, 650x, 900x, etc etc) was more user friendly than the Kindle models.

Personally, I don't think there is an ereader device that stands above the rest of the pack, hardware wise. If we want to talk about the better model in terms of software, than I would have to say the T1 because of the ability to root and do your own customizations on it. I have no idea what you can do with the Kindle so my opinion doesn't have the factual knowledge about kindles to back it up.

Some people have said that the Kindle 4 looks sharper and crisper than the T1 but I believe this was due to the fonts/anti-aliasing engine used between the two. I've negated K4's advantage over the T1 by rooting and using the same font on my T1 that the K4 uses, PMN Caecila. My T1 looks just as good, if not better, than the K4 screen. Also, FBreader and Coolreader have better font rendering and anti-aliasing than the built in reader app.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s...ot_nonroot.png
I read that certain models which I'm not sure which it is, it will always re-sync everything when you plug in your reader causing system to hang easily. Is there any option for the syncing?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by prushellen View Post
I read that certain models which I'm not sure which it is, it will always re-sync everything when you plug in your reader causing system to hang easily. Is there any option for the syncing?
This refers to syncing your ereader with desktop software. There is an easy option. Don't use the Sony desktop software. The T1 has Wi-fi. You can purchase books from Sony and other bookstores like Kobo directly on the device. You can borrow books from your local library directly on the device. You can use an alternate software like calibre to manage your library on your computer.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Don't use the Sony desktop software. The T1 has Wi-fi. You can purchase books from Sony and other bookstores like Kobo directly on the device. You can borrow books from your local library directly on the device. You can use an alternate software like calibre to manage your library on your computer.

I've always waited for Sony to load and close it then open Calibre. I never thought about it in this fashion. Its wireless! You have turned on a light for me.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Another technique that I use to transfer files from the computer to my T1 wirelessly is to use Dropbox. I upload the book on my computer to Dropbox. Then I log-in to the mobile Dropbox website on my T1 to download. No USB cables required! It's nice if say you've left your ereader on your bedroom nightstand and are working on your computer in another room (especially if you have a two-story house).
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote