Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-01-2024, 04:33 AM   #1
Savate
Enthusiast
Savate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Signature
New issue arising with update 5.16.7

Hello

I note that update 5.16.7 for the Paperwhite has changed the behaviour of text highlighting such that a selection action cannot be dragged across screens.

Now, if you want to highlight a passage that is split across the screen you can only highlight to the bottom of the screen where the selection is automatically terminated and recorded in clippings.txt. To highlight the continuation of target passge you must go forward to the next screen and start a new selection for the next block of text.

This is a pain and also has the effect that what should be a single record in clippings.txt becomes separate records when spread across more than one screen (and for very long continuous selections - e.g. 2+ screeenfuls - can be awkward to manipulate).

Note: epubs converted via the official Kindle-to-epub converter (the email method provided by Amazon) restores the selection procedure to its correct behaviour.

I wonder if Kovid Goyal and his team might be able to manage this behaviour when using Calibre's epub to azw3 converter?

This change is obviously by design on the part of Amazon. Contiinuous text selection is only allowed for 'official' Kindle books or 'official' conversions.

I understand it from Amazon's point of view but I don't like it, I don't think it's very nice and it degrades the performance of what is one of the best, if not the best ereader OS on the market. It also forces the reader to adhere yet more strictly to Amazon's systems ... but come on guys, lighten up a bit!

Savate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:10 PM   #2
_kind_le
Enthusiast
_kind_le began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 11th gen.
Yeah. So far Kindle works for me just in case of Calibre + .mobi books. If they will make more changes against "freedom" of use 3rd party books - I guess Kobo Clara 2E or PocketBook Verse is gonna be my next choice.
_kind_le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:21 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is nothing calibre can do about amazon choosing not to allow multi page highlights on third party books, as far as I know.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:46 PM   #4
Savate
Enthusiast
Savate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enoughSavate will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Signature
Thanks for the replies folks, here and in other threads. Helfpul stuff.

I followed up on sugestions about KFX format (which I have never used until now) and that works well for me. Installed the Calibre plugin (and also it needed the Amazon Previewer installed). It works well in Calibre Convert ...

Thanks again - KFX from here on! Issue closed ...

Savate is offline   Reply With Quote