Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-09-2014, 11:38 PM   #1
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
Question Kindle App vs Kobo App

Assuming for the moment that one has the exact same library on both the Amazon Kindle and the Kobo, which app do you believe provides the better experience? Or are they both about the same?
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I would say the Kindle app is a much better experience. However, I rarely use either of them, and I'm probably not very objective because I hate the Kobo app with a passion. Any developer who thinks it's a good idea to include social media support BEFORE a search function should go develop something else IMHO, not a reading app.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
They are both fine. The Kobo app is probably a bit prettier... but the Kindle app and Amazon's ecosystem behind it are vastly superior.

The number one reason I can't use the Kobo app? You can't do multi-page highlights... you know, like if a sentence starts on one page and flips over to the next one and you have to drag the highlight between the two? God... how could they not have that feature in the Kobo app like... ages ago?

Dead simple on the Kindle app.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
In iOS the kindle app has a different format for its version of ePub which is different from all other platforms. It is called AZK. Apple will ship this format as needed so you get a good experience but any mobi you find laying around will only have the old mobipocket support which is fine for reading but can't do any complicated formatting. It is possible to make AZK files yourself using eBook previewer but that is an extra step and if the source is mobi then it isn't of much use anyway. It is something to be away of. See AZK in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
I agree with Anthem about the Kobo app being prettier. I like the background selection. However, I find the Kobo app problematic. Even after updates that were supposed to contain bug fixes, I still have books that won't open quickly or they freeze the entire app shortly after they do open. I end up having to close the app completely when switching back and forth between books (double tap home button and swipe up). The highlight feature stopped working several updates ago so I gave up on that. I am at the point now where, even with coupon discounts, I'll be choosing books in the Kindle format even if they are a bit more expensive because I'm just sick of the hassle involved with Kobo and epubs. (Bluefire also does not work as smoothly as it should, but I've been using it for epub books that I want to highlight.)

Oh, and having to redownload my library several times after Kobo app updates...not fun.

The Kindle app just works, and it synchronizes smoothly between devices all the time and smooth synchronization between devices is one of my must haves. The only thing I don't like about the Kindle app is when I use it for library books, I have to log into my account on a web page to return the book. But it still beats dealing with an epub version of the books, which won't synchronize between devices no matter what app I use to read it. (Overdrive, Bluefire, or Kobo. Bluefire freezes during attempts to synchronize...again, not worth the hassle.)

I just want to read and enjoy books, I'm not interested in fussing and fiddling with file formats and buggy apps.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Neither app is "all that". If you want a great reading app, get Marvin. If you want a simple experience...then pick which store/ecosystem you want to be in and just go with that reader.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad air, kindle app, kobo app