Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They could all get together and create a Big 5 Bookstore with set prices

Then they would halt all wholesale sales and force all consumers to buy only from the B5B
They most certainly could, and that's just one of the things that I don't understand about the Big 5. They should be falling all over ebooks. No used books sales. No sharing of books with your best friend. Every copy that is read *should* be paid for. If they'd just get behind ebooks, they could be rolling in profit. But no. We'll just cling to our old way of doing business, piss off readers and authors and finally die a slow lingering death.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:10 PM   #17
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:

Then they would halt all wholesale sales and force all consumers to buy only from the B5B
Well, they could at least TRY to take over the world if they are so annoyed at their resellers/retailers. I know some of the big 5 have tried limited shops/promos. Just seems to me they stay in the same old pattern without really trying new things.

I'm glad they don't control prices more than they already do though...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #18
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
It seems like it's too late for that to me. Who knows how long they would continue to sell ebooks. I wouldn't want to take a chance they would shut down and leave me without my books if they decided it wasn't working out. I always download my purchases and disinfect anyway so that wouldn't affect me directly anyway. I also don't know if they would sell at a good price either.
There's also the whole aspect of having to have accounts at so many sites to buy all the books you want. I'd pass, that's too big a pain.

Quote:

They probably can't do that, it would almost certainly raise anti-trust issues and get them sued by the Justice Department (again). Even more so if they did it and killed off every competing store like you suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
They most certainly could, and that's just one of the things that I don't understand about the Big 5. They should be falling all over ebooks. No used books sales. No sharing of books with your best friend. Every copy that is read *should* be paid for. If they'd just get behind ebooks, they could be rolling in profit. But no. We'll just cling to our old way of doing business, piss off readers and authors and finally die a slow lingering death.
They could retain their precious p-books and still catch the wave of the future by including an e-book copy with the p-book. Say have a special edition that combines both for a bit extra money, as well as a lower priced p-book alone and e-book alone. That'd help them move toward the future. It'd probably get more people buying e-books too, because more would be willing to experiment when they're getting a physical book along with the e-book. Example pricing:
  • Physical book (by itself): $20
  • Physical book (with e-book): $24
  • E-book: $10
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #19
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Technology is moving forward whether publishers like it or not. They'll have to downsize and learn to live with smaller profits. If they can't adapt, then they'll perish.
It seems to me that the publishers were quick to start issuing new titles as eBooks. They also were quick to let them be sold at the same time as hardcover editions -- with the eBooks commonly sold at paperback prices. That, to me, refutes the technophobe meme.

Adobe Digital Editions 3.0 is an example of technology moving forward. Who is it who likes, and dislikes, that? When posters here decry DRM technology, lately I'm seeing the caveat that it's fine for library borrowers like you and me. At least the big publishers aren't saying that affluent book collectors can get their books DRM-free while we hoi pollio get treated otherwise.

As for smaller profits, well, a little less might be good, but publishing profits don't have all that much room to decline. For example, Hachette had that quite comfortable 14 percent profit margin last year, but in each the four previous years, they either barely broke even, or lost money.

The only benefit to me of there being these big publishers is that their advances support creation of heavily researched non-fiction. If downsizing means that advances against non-fiction book proposals are going to decline much more, that would negate the value of those publishers.

It could be inevitable that publishers who support complex long-term book projects will perish the same way that newspaper foreign bureaus and investigative teams have. I hope that's not the downsizing you support.

Genre readers may think big publishers are problematic when the genre books appear to be subsidizing the rest of the operation. I do see non-fiction eBooks that are three times longer than a genre fiction or off-the-cuff advice title, and took ten times longer to write, priced at just thirty percent more. Maybe genre can't keep on subsidizing war reportage and biography like that forever. But so long as there is any kind of business case for it, please keep trying.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #20
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
It seems to me that the publishers were quick to start issuing new titles as eBooks. They also were quick to let them be sold at the same time as hardcover editions -- with the eBooks commonly sold at paperback prices. That, to me, refutes the technophobe meme.

Genre readers may think big publishers are problematic when the genre books appear to be subsidizing the rest of the operation. I do see non-fiction eBooks that are three times longer than a genre fiction or off-the-cuff advice title, and took ten times longer to write, priced at just thirty percent more. Maybe genre can't keep on subsidizing war reportage and biography like that forever. But so long as there is any kind of business case for it, please keep trying.
Just because a book is longer, does not automatically mean it took longer to write. In some cases if you know your non-fiction subject well, you may be able to write it quite quickly if you are organized and dedicated.

That's not to belittle the effort that goes into them, but there is no reason these tomes can't be self-published. Sure, you'd have to check the credentials, but that is the case now. Just because it is labeled non-fiction doesn't mean it's legit or well-researched. It's still a pick and choose world.

My point is those books will not go away even if the publishers change.

And I do recall Macmillian trying very hard not to release ebooks at the same time as harbacks and so on. The publishing industry did not embrace ebooks wholeheartedly at all.
Advert
Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Publishers sold eBooks with hardcover editions to retailers for the same amount as the hardcover. If a hardcover came out at $28 then the list price for the eBook was the same for most, if not all, of the big 5 (big 6 at the time). Then both hardcover and eBook would be discounted from that list price to whatever street price a retailer wanted to offer them at. eBooks never came out at the same time as hardcovers for around the average mass market price of $8. It was the retailers cutting into their own profit that were discounting eBooks just like they do with paper books. When agency came along mass market paperbacks and ebooks generally sold for exactly the same $7-$10 price with paperbacks sometimes discounted below list while the eBook couldn't. Same for hardcover more or less. A hardcover with a $14-$17 street price would generally be $13-$15 as an eBook and trade paperbacks with a $10-$12 street price would be $10-$12 as an eBook. Maybe we buy different kinds of books, but that's commonly how things fell out for me personally.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #22
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I would argue that the publishers were technophobes because there were several big 6 publishers that were not releasing most of their books as ebooks until after agency pricing. For example, in the SF genre, I don't think Tor, Ace or Del Rey consistently published ebooks. I knew several SF authors who were frustrated with their publishers because the publisher had the ebook rights and weren't releasing ebook editions.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Looks like Amazon took the Buy button away from Hachette preorders (both Kindle and hardcover). Preorders mind you.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #24
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Looks like Amazon took the Buy button away from Hachette preorders (both Kindle and hardcover). Preorders mind you.
They may not have any agreement in place to sell after a certain date.

Thanks Oak for setting me straight on the ebook releases. I know they weren't excited about doing them for a long time.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like the stance that many Hachette and Little, Brown authors are taking on social media. Some are, of course, raging and flinging invective everywhere, while a surprising number are taking the more pragmatic approach of simply reminding readers about the many other places their books are available for preorder and purchase.

I admit I'm a bit baffled, though, why many outraged authors are recommending B&N. Why do so many feel justified in putting their allegiance behind a corporation whose only real "virtue" was in failing to become the biggest bully on the block (though not through lack of trying)?

Is it a "what have you NOT done to me lately" mentality, perhaps?
Old 05-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #26
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I like the stance that many Hachette and Little, Brown authors are taking on social media. Some are, of course, raging and flinging invective everywhere, while a surprising number are taking the more pragmatic approach of simply reminding readers about the many other places their books are available for preorder and purchase.

I admit I'm a bit baffled, though, why many outraged authors are recommending B&N. Why do so many feel justified in putting their allegiance behind a corporation whose only real "virtue" was in failing to become the biggest bully on the block (though not through lack of trying)?

Is it a "what have you NOT done to me lately" mentality, perhaps?

More likely they've been treated well by B&N at a book signing or the like. They may have a more personal relationship with some retailers. My B&N doesn't do signings and won't carry bookmarks, etc for any author large or small. But I think they are an oddball store because one of the B&N that is quite a distance from me hosts authors and speakers all the time. They have a rather large Sisters in Crime group that meets there once a quarter and there are always authors around.

Of course, I am speculating madly with my reasoning. But I'm a writer. I make things up sometimes...
Old 05-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #27
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Amazon raises the ante - refusing to sell some Hachette titles like the latest one from JK Rawling: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ype=blogs&_r=0
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Amazon raises the ante - refusing to sell some Hachette titles like the latest one from JK Rawling: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ype=blogs&_r=0
Are ya even paying attention to your own thread? It's only pre-orders that are coming up as unavailable. There's technically nothing to "sell" yet. Existing Hachette titles are still being sold.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-23-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Hmm, both that NYTimes article and the Forbes one in the OP are comparing this in some ridiculous fashion to removing the buy buttons for MacMillan during the price-fixing wars.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #30
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I liked this summary at Slashdot :
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...inst-hachette/
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/10/te...ette-spat.html
"Amazon, under fire in much of the literary community for energetically discouraging customers from buying books from the publisher Hachette, has abruptly escalated the battle. The retailer began refusing orders late Thursday for coming Hachette books, including J.K. Rowling's new novel. The paperback edition of Brad Stone's The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon — a book Amazon disliked so much it denounced it — is suddenly listed as 'unavailable.' In some cases, even the pages promoting the books have disappeared. Anne Rivers Siddons's new novel, The Girls of August, coming in July, no longer has a page for the physical book or even the Kindle edition. Only the audio edition is still being sold (for more than $60). Otherwise it is as if it did not exist. Amazon is also flexing its muscles in Germany, delaying deliveries of books issued by Bonnier, a major publisher."
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote