Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Pirate Bay and the Torrent on Fire

If you head on over to The Pirate Bay (no direct links here), you'll notice that their (clickable) logo has been changed.

Whatever you think of them, you gotta admit, they have guts! Just yesterday the IFPI (International Federation of the Phonographic Industry) issued a press release accusing The Pirate Bay of distributing a leaked copy of the seventh Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Quote:
The Pirate Bay, an international engine of illegal file-sharing, is accused of facilitating the distribution of pre-release copies of the latest Harry Potter novel, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, in a move that has been criticised by publishers Bloomsbury. Author J.K. Rowling has previously asked people to respect her embargos and described those who ruin others enjoyment as "sad individuals."
It remains to be seen what J.K. Rowling and her publishers Bloomsbury and Scholastic will do to stop people from spreading the e-copy that got supposedly pirated. Threatening innocent blogs is certainly not going to help anyone.

Related: Harry Potter 6 e-book already being pirated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	potter.png
Views:	1140
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	4541  
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Yep, this (clickable) logo is there kind of humour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Logo_click_to_HP7.png
Views:	994
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	4542  
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm one of the many who ordered HP7 via Amazon pre-order. Yet I would also love to read it on an electronic device. While it is legally and ethically questionable to download a pirated e-book (even if you own the hardcover edition), I don't understand Rowling's insistance in avoiding e-books. Obviously people will always find ways to get what they want.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:33 AM   #4
Dajala
Enthusiast
Dajala began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
While it is legally and ethically questionable to download a pirated e-book (even if you own the hardcover edition
Ethically, maybe. Legally? Not in Australia. Our copyright law was 'updated' in January 2007. It was done to make it legal to put your mp3's (from CD's you own) onto your iPod but all types of 'format shifting' are permissable if you own a copy.

CD to MP3, Paperback to eBook....
Dajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
While I do not have HP 7 yet, I will get it. So if I was to download the electronic copy, I would feel ethically OK to do so. Yes, I know it's illegal, but the book is just too unweildy to carry around. On my Sony Reader it would be very easy to do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Author J.K. Rowling has previously asked people to respect her embargos and described those who ruin others enjoyment as "sad individuals."
Downloading the book and reading ahead of the date it doesn't "ruin others enjoyment", but insisting on spreading spoilers all over the place can. That's the bit that I don't understand. Whether you read the book before or after the official release date, let others read it who want to before you insist on blabbing the details at them. Email lists where people like to discuss these books had to shut down days ago because some people insisted on posting spoilers. I understand the "hacker cred" motive that led people to post images of the pages (and even convert those images to text) ahead of the date, and I understand the eager anticipation that led many to download these files and read the book early. But trying to ruin the fun of others who were waiting for the "big event" was just plain mean.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
While I do not have HP 7 yet, I will get it. So if I was to download the electronic copy, I would feel ethically OK to do so. Yes, I know it's illegal, but the book is just too unweildy to carry around. On my Sony Reader it would be very easy to do.
exactly. And it's a good way to show off your reader

That's why i'm making digital versions. Including pictures.

Oh, and btw... according to the laws in my country, it's not illegal to download for personal use, but sharing is. Wether it's ethical... just wanna show that there are different laws accross countries.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:29 AM   #8
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
exactly. And it's a good way to show off your reader

That's why i'm making digital versions. Including pictures.

Oh, and btw... according to the laws in my country, it's not illegal to download for personal use, but sharing is. Wether it's ethical... just wanna show that there are different laws accross countries.
That means then you cant legally download it via torrent then! as with a torrent at the same time you download your also uploading(distributing) it to others.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
stxopher
Nameless Being

Errr, not that I have any personal knowledge of that but...a friend of mine....yea, a friend...tells me that some clients can turn off the upload part of the process so that they only DL and do not actually share the file as it's being received. While this would put you on the bottom of the que in most cases it would still eventually complete.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #10
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Here I was wondering why a topic with 8 replies had 4400+ views. I guess "pirate" and "torrent" are attention grabbers
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #11
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Here I was wondering why a topic with 8 replies had 4400+ views. I guess "pirate" and "torrent" are attention grabbers
Everyone loves a pirate. Arrr, me hearties. If they put "Ninja" in the subject as well, the forum would probably melt down.

Cheers,
Marc (who wants to be a Ninja Pirate...with a lightsaber...and a jetpack)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #12
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Everyone loves a pirate. Arrr, me hearties. If they put "Ninja" in the subject as well, the forum would probably melt down.

Cheers,
Marc (who wants to be a Ninja Pirate...with a lightsaber...and a jetpack)

Harry Potter and the Topless Ninja Pirate Robots!

...works for me.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
At the rate they're going, they'll have to either re-cast or re-name the last movie: "Harry Potter and the Walker of Incontinence"
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #14
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
It remains to be seen what J.K. Rowling and her publishers Bloomsbury and Scholastic will do to stop people from spreading the e-copy that got supposedly pirated.
I feel that, unless they start marketing it in the electronic format, they can't put any significant pressure on the piracy of the book. If they start selling its ebook, it wont stop the piracy of the book, however it will reduce the loss occurring due to piracy by a great deal.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 AM   #15
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post

Harry Potter and the Topless Ninja Pirate Robots!

...works for me.
Or... Harry Potter and the Pirate of the Sea Torrent vs the Ninja Robot of the Free

Over is offline   Reply With Quote