Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Kindles for sale through independent bookstores

This was posted this morning by Amazon:

Quote:
Amazon Source makes it easy for independent bookstores and small retailers to earn additional revenue by selling Kindles

Booksellers can receive 10% of the price of Kindle books purchased from the devices they sell

The first order is worry-free for retailers—Amazon will buy back the inventory for up to six months after the first order, no questions and no penalties
The full post is here:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....094&highlight=
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
This is interesting looks like they are following in Kobo's footsteps.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Their own too.
They've been doing it in the UK for a while now.
Google tried it first but it tanked.
Makes lots of sense for Amazon cause most bookstores won't even think of it.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Their own too.
They've been doing it in the UK for a while now.
Google tried it first but it tanked.
Makes lots of sense for Amazon cause most bookstores won't even think of it.
Didn't know they already did it in the UK. I know Kobo had an agreement with a local supermarket chain to distribute their readers for a % cut of books bought with the devices.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Didn't know they already did it in the UK. I know Kobo had an agreement with a local supermarket chain to distribute their readers for a % cut of books bought with the devices.
That is the core of the Kobo approach: local partners do the promotion and sales and Kobo does the big stuff at the back end and provides a global brand and visibility. To the retailer, selling Kobo is a longtime selling a house brand but with less effort and better market image.
Advert
Old 11-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
In the UK they've done it through Waterstones - but most purchasers get the device, then buy books from Amazon, not Waterstones !

Why ? Well, everything I've price-checked on the two stores show a substantially higher price from Waterstones ........ and in these times, that's a no-brainer.

So Waterstones, having taken a small cut from selling the device, are not a lot better off, I'm sure - and have introduced a lot of new buyers to Amazon !

I fear this was a very sad move by the UK's last major independent bookseller .
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
It will be interesting to see how many indie bookstores decide to offer both a $119 Kindle PW2 and a $149 Kobo Aura. Both have 6 inch screens.

I think my Kobo eReaders are superior to my Kindle PW on the level of the user interface but I suspect most new owners will simple let the price decide without appreciating the aesthetics of the Kobo devices. It seems almost like a classic PC versus Mac contest.

The Amazon offer does promise the bookstore a bigger share of the profit, offering 10% of the price of the book, not of the profit, which is heavily discounted at Amazon. However, the fine print says this only applies to books purchased through the device bought at the store (I don't know how many people buy their books on their Kindle but if they are like me, not many do) and it only applies for the first 2 years.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
It's taking them awhile.

What carpetmojo says about Waterstones confuses me. Do they mean that Waterstones has a separate ebook store people can buy ebooks from? From what they say in the press release and on the page, it doesn't seem to be the case? Or do you mean physical books?

Anyway how do these terms compare to Kobo's terms? Does Kobo also have a six month buyback period (is that usual in the retail world?) and do they also give a 10% cut?

I found this article about how independent bookstores are doing with Kobo's program. It seems at least the device discount is more generous, but it seems the book discount is less?

http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2013...e-still-small/
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Waterstones has an eBook store where they sell Adobe DRM'd ePub's. They also get a cut from Amazon on any books bought through a Waterstones branded Kindle.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
In the UK they've done it through Waterstones - but most purchasers get the device, then buy books from Amazon, not Waterstones !

Why ? Well, everything I've price-checked on the two stores show a substantially higher price from Waterstones ........ and in these times, that's a no-brainer.

So Waterstones, having taken a small cut from selling the device, are not a lot better off, I'm sure - and have introduced a lot of new buyers to Amazon !

Don't be so sure.
People willing to buy Kindles at Waterstone's were likely going to buy one anyway. Those in love with interoperability and all the superior features of epub would never give money to Amazon and thus won't mind a higher price. Bottom line, Waterstone's makes some money from both customer bases.

Their business is marginal enough without leaving good money on the table over principles. That's not how the money-grubbing game is played.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-06-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:37 AM   #11
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
For me this is incremental suicide. For how long will booksellers remain independent if they get lots of money for nothing from the world's biggest bookseller.
Quote:
People willing to buy Kindles at Waterstone's were likely going to buy one anyway. Those in love with interoperability and all the superior features of epub would never give money to Amazon and thus won't mind a higher price. Bottom line, Waterstone's makes some money from both customer bases.
If I would find a Kindle in an independent bookstore I would turn around and run. And never drop a Euro in this shop again. Except if they pay me 10% for each book which I don't buy with a Kindle. This is the suicide part. And in the end I'd buy a Kindle somewhere else.

Cheers,
hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post

No, you misunderstand the way it works. The Waterstones bookstore is an ePub bookstore, so naturally someone who buys a Kindle isn't going to buy books there. Waterstones receive a commission on books bought from the Kindle store from a Kindle bought from Waterstones.

Quote:
What do you mean by "independent"? Waterstones are a large company currently owned by a Russian venture capital group.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:58 AM   #13
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, you misunderstand the way it works. The Waterstones bookstore is an ePub bookstore, so naturally someone who buys a Kindle isn't going to buy books there.
Exactly that's why I would run.
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
Exactly that's why I would run.
I'm afraid your logic eludes me. Why would you run?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #15
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid your logic eludes me. Why would you run?
I'd expect the small print has a clause where Amazon only pay a % of kindle ebook purchases for X years. After that time Amazon keep 100% and that customer will now probably buy all their books via Amazon including the odd paperback.

The bookstores have to hope that when it comes time for that customer to upgrade to a new kindle they do so at a B&M store so they can get a new % going for a few years. If not, their customer base will slowly shrink. Assuming Amazon haven't grown their customer base to their target and decide to stop the % share for future purchases.

Perhaps my experience is different from the norm, but I bought my kindle in a B&M store and have never been back as my purchases for ebooks are via Amazon now (although I occasionally buy elsewhere and convert). Had this scheme been in operation then, they'd have had a short time of getting money from my purchases and then lost me as a customer.

Now if they sell epub and the readers they sell are epub readers, it makes a little more sense. There's a chance a customer will buy books from their store and not the device makers store, but with Amazon that's a lot less likely imo since the books would need to be sold DRM free in order to get them on the kindle without Amazon's support and there's still too many publishers not willing to part with DRM.

Last edited by JoeD; 11-07-2013 at 06:36 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote