Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-03-2024, 03:50 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Of course I'm referring to updating plug-ins. I'd close an application if I was updating it.
In my experience, there are all too many people who do not close applications before updating them.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:06 PM   #17
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Hello again everyone. I am check back here to see if things have changed with the Nook Glowlight 4 plus. I am closer to committing to buying one and still have a couple of questions that I would like to ask again as an update before committing the money. Is the nook button still causing some people aggrivation or has that be resolved? Can calibre now connect with the Glowlight 4 plus on windows 10? Better yet, does the Nook connect easily with your windows computer as previous Nooks always did? At least I never had any trouble with previous Nooks. Are you happy with your Nook Glowlight 4 Plus??
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 11:47 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Calibre can't connect with Glowlight 4+ on Windows and that is probably not going to change.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 12:26 PM   #19
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is sad news for many possible customers. I can get along without calibre, but more importantly to me is if the Nook glowlight can download books from my library. Does anyone have experience with library book downloading on their glowlight 4 plus? If I can't download library books I cannot purchase the 4 plus! So does this newest Nook do that?
Old 04-26-2024, 12:05 PM   #20
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook, Kobo, Kindle
The NOOK GlowLight 4 Plus has an account screen for Adobe ID. This means that you can borrow books from a public library that uses Adobe DRM to authorize the e-book loans to read on the NOOK.
You will need to create an Adobe Digital ID and download Adobe Digital Editions to your computer to get it working.
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 01:10 PM   #21
Kaysclie
Addict

That is good news to me. I already have an adobe ID that I have had for years and have Adobe Digital Editions on my laptop. Thank you for posting that information here.
If the Nook Glowlight 4 plus becomes available again I do hope that Nook takes the opportunity to fix some of the complaints that have been mentioned in reviews. I like my old Nook glowlight 3 but would like the larger and faster Glowlight 4 plus!
Old 04-26-2024, 01:22 PM   #22
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
That is good news to me. I already have an adobe ID that I have had for years and have Adobe Digital Editions on my laptop. Thank you for posting that information here.
If the Nook Glowlight 4 plus becomes available again I do hope that Nook takes the opportunity to fix some of the complaints that have been mentioned in reviews. I like my old Nook glowlight 3 but would like the larger and faster Glowlight 4 plus!
It is unlikely B&N will fix any complaints in reviews. They rarely fix anything that are not severe functionality errors. People have mentioned for a decade that they'd like foreign language dictionaries and it's never been given. The N button responsiveness will also probably not be addressed, if I go by that track record.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:13 AM   #23
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
Hello again everyone. I am check back here to see if things have changed with the Nook Glowlight 4 plus. I am closer to committing to buying one and still have a couple of questions that I would like to ask again as an update before committing the money. Is the nook button still causing some people aggrivation or has that be resolved? Can calibre now connect with the Glowlight 4 plus on windows 10? Better yet, does the Nook connect easily with your windows computer as previous Nooks always did? At least I never had any trouble with previous Nooks. Are you happy with your Nook Glowlight 4 Plus??
The button on the GL4+ is not really a button. It is a sensor. If you try to push it, it is hit or miss. I discovered that you just lay your finger on it for a second or two and it works just fine.

Calibre cannot connect to the GL4+ on Windows. That is apparently not going to change. I had trouble with my Windows 10 computer, but that computer died shortly after getting my Nook. My new Windows 11 computer never had any problems connecting, but it does not show up as a USB drive like previous Nooks. It just shows up as a drive under This Computer. I still use Calibre to store all my books. I just use Windows file explorer to copy them over. It is not as convenient as using Calibre, but it works.

I really like my GL4+. It is my primary reader at this time.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:27 AM   #24
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
The button on the GL4+ is not really a button. It is a sensor. If you try to push it, it is hit or miss. I discovered that you just lay your finger on it for a second or two and it works just fine.

Calibre cannot connect to the GL4+ on Windows. That is apparently not going to change. I had trouble with my Windows 10 computer, but that computer died shortly after getting my Nook. My new Windows 11 computer never had any problems connecting, but it does not show up as a USB drive like previous Nooks. It just shows up as a drive under This Computer. I still use Calibre to store all my books. I just use Windows file explorer to copy them over. It is not as convenient as using Calibre, but it works.

I really like my GL4+. It is my primary reader at this time.
I had the GL4+ as well. As touch sensors go, I didn't feel it was calibrated properly. The sensor on my 1st generation original NOOK and my NOOK GlowLight Plus (2015) are much more responsive and react within less than 0.5 seconds--it is instantaneous. I couldn't get used to the prolonged touch required by the NGL4+ to activate it, nor to turn on the GlowLight 4 Plus glowlight shortcut (4 seconds!--it is 1.25 seconds, at most, for the GLP 2015, for example).

I think many other users coming from the NOOK GlowLight Plus (2015) also felt the same way, because BN had to write a whole Support Page just for the GlowLight 4 Plus capacitive N "button" (sensor): https://help.barnesandnoble.com/hc/e...-Home-n-Button

Perhaps the glass (glass-like plastic?) layer for the flush screen doesn't allow for good capacitive touch sensing? I have no idea, but I do not think they should have released it with that lag. I sold my GL4+ so I am not sure if they re-calibrated the amount of time required compared to my GLP 2015.

Last edited by gforgiraffe39935; 04-28-2024 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added missing word
Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM   #25
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
We're talking about the 2021 6" BNRV1100? I haven't really used it enough to complain about anything.

B&N always had problems with capacitive sensors. On my Glow2 6" BNRV510 (the white, waffle one) I cut down the area of the home sensor by a third to reduce sensitivity.

Although I liked the "three geometric symbols at the bottom of the screen" of stock Android, I've become a convert to the swipe up at the bottom of the screen. I love my Poke5 with no buttons (except for the BT clicker in my hand).
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:20 AM   #26
gforgiraffe39935
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
We're talking about the 2021 6" BNRV1100? I haven't really used it enough to complain about anything.

B&N always had problems with capacitive sensors. On my Glow2 6" BNRV510 (the white, waffle one) I cut down the area of the home sensor by a third to reduce sensitivity.

Although I liked the "three geometric symbols at the bottom of the screen" of stock Android, I've become a convert to the swipe up at the bottom of the screen. I love my Poke5 with no buttons (except for the BT clicker in my hand).
The discussion was about the N sensor on the NOOK GlowLight 4 Plus (Size: 7.8", Model: BNRV1300, Release Year: 2023). It is not sensitive at all and is very slow.

I prefer the speed of the home sensor on my NOOK GlowLight Plus (Size: 6", Model: BNRV510, Release Year: 2015...or "the white waffle one" as you call it ).