Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Can we be trusted with this technoiogy?
Yes, I believe it will be used properly 27 69.23%
No, I believe someone will abuse it, don't do it! 3 7.69%
Someone will abuse it, but I will stand firm to help stop them 5 12.82%
The ends justify the means and anyway: Sony made us do it. 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2007, 02:54 AM   #16
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

drm is irritating, if anything, i want to be able to quote passages from the CONNECT software into the clipboard.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:13 AM   #17
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
This is a tricky bit, but IMO, I don't think it would be abused to exploit the DRM of the device. While any new technology can be exploited to do things its not supposed to, I cannot think of anything I'd need to exploit on my Reader that I can't do from my desktop first. It's cool that you've figured out how to do this, and judging from peoples' threads in this group, I think everyone here is responsible enough that they wouldn't abuse your work.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2007, 06:16 AM   #18
Corwin
Corwin began at the beginning.

Scotty, do you have any news?
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #19
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The DRM of the Reader is not the point at all. The real issue is what rights, if any, do we have if we change readers. There are many people out there with DRM Palm files and IMP files that cannot use these files on the Reader. (PDF and DRM PDF is still another issue.)

The better question is what are we going to do with the DRM BBeB files if a new and better Reader comes along that (surprise) does not support them. Sure the non-DRM content can be converted (again), as it has been in the past. Are we to keep multiple readers around to read our full collections?

Even Microsoft changed their music DRM system when they launched the Zume. They want us to pay for each item (book, music, film) on each platform. The Reader is just an output device.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #20
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I've got a toolchain cobbled together that makes executable files for the Reader.

However, the trick forwarded from igorsky to execute that code is experiencing technical issues. As soon as that gets ironed out we should have some very rapid progress.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2007, 12:31 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That news makes me very happy.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:01 AM   #22
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck
drm is irritating, if anything, i want to be able to quote passages from the CONNECT software into the clipboard.
http://www.structurise.com/kleptomania/

With this SW you can copy and paste ANY text ANYWHERE on the screen.
It works by making a printscreen and running an OCR on it ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #23
vvaann
Enthusiast
vvaann began at the beginning.

scotty1024
just wonder to know if there is any news?
vvaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 05:08 AM   #24
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
I'd really like to try writing software for the reader. (with... omg... pages enterable via the keypad! or... prerendering the next page... or using using 1-bit mode for faster turns... or refreshing the page every ten seconds for a crisper display... or...)

How's the toolchain coming along?
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #25
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Alex, you lost me. How would refreshing a static display of e-ink every ten seconds make for a crisper display?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It kinda fades after a while, but I'd think a refresh every 10 minutes would be sufficient for my eyes.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:23 AM   #27
alex_d
Addict

It depends at what font size you're reading. With large fonts (ie, regular ebooks), it takes maybe 10-20 minutes for contrast to get annoyingly bad. For teeny tiny fonts (ie, pdfs), it takes less than a minute for the text to become considerably harder to read. Often, this is quicker than the time for me to do the actual reading. Even 10s after a page turn there is a noticeable decline in quality in a situation where you're trying to get all the readability you can.

anyway, a more interesting use would be to quickly page turn using 1-bit mode and then follow up with 2-bit refreshes to regain antialiasing and images. At the extreme, a 1-bit page turn without the negative-positive transition (and with precaching) would be less than 1/4 of a second! I'm drooling already... (the point here being to easily flip through pdf non-fiction. again, regular ebooks are fine as is.)

Last edited by alex_d; 03-28-2007 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:44 AM   #28
dstampe
dstampe
dstampe began at the beginning.

The only problem would be battery life. Refreshing that often would quickly drain the battery (realiztic 4000 page flips per charge, update every 15 seconds, battery dies in 1000 minutes=12 hours). Also, the "negative image" flashed during reset would be annoying. However, I suspect for a refresh the negative image used to clear the screeen would not be needed. So maybe there would be less effect on battery life by a factor of 2 or 3 (assume little CPU time needed, and display refresh is shorter so the high-voltage power supply is needed for a shorter period.

I just use the joystick to go back and forward 1 page with RTF files. I use fairly large print so unless I leave the reader sitting for 15 minutes contrast is fine.
dstampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #29
alex_d
Addict

scotty... your private message inbox is full, i can't reply to you
Old 04-09-2007, 07:31 AM   #30
alex_d
Addict

sigh.. I still can't send you a private message. Hopefully you'll check back on this thread. I'll repost our conversation here (and i'm sure some people are interested in this topic too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
hey. In one thread you stated that you've put together a toolchain for creating programs for the reader. But I think you also said that maybe you got stuck in running them.

Anyway, I'm very interested in creating some of my own programs to run on it and would appreciate it if you'd let me know how that was going or if I could pick up and finish your work somehow.
I have a working tool chain but so far it's a big "So what?"

You can't execute native executables from card and the built in filesystems you can execute from have very limited space left over. :-(

Scotty
So the limit is the size of the executable? What kind of size are we talking about? I'm not trying to compile and load some big package like ghostscript so maybe that isn't a problem. Also, maybe some things (e.g. mp3 decode library) could be deleted to make room?

The bigger question, though, is whether it's possible to manipulate the display on any meaningful or advanced level? (e.g. switch to 1bit mode, access the front buffer, cause a redraw)?