Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #16
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
I unzipped the files, copied them across to the root folder of my KT, and ejected it from the USB connection ... but it doesn't update.
Extract them to the .kobo folder, not root.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #17
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Thanks WS64. That did the trick.

Huh. I was sure the 2.0.0 update went into the root, and the tgz file in this update was named KoboRoot. Well, it's updating now, so fingers crossed.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #18
cesarx4s
cesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animalscesarx4s is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Touch
My kobo touch updated today to firmware is 2.1.4 (r43710, 10/1/12).
I'm detecting a bug in my device, that is when scrolling in the library, the controls dont show as they were the previous firmware as "< page 1 of 3 >" with the arrows on the sides, but show the controls that appear as when we scrroll in a book with
"<--------o---------->".

Is this a feature or a bug?
cesarx4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Neither a feature (normally taken to be an undocumented bug) or a bug; it's how it is!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #20
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarx4s View Post
I'm detecting a bug in my device, that is when scrolling in the library, the controls dont show as they were the previous firmware as "< page 1 of 3 >" with the arrows on the sides, but show the controls that appear as when we scrroll in a book with
"<--------o---------->".

Mine's just updated, and does the same thing. Instead, I get a pop-up box that says "Page x of y" as the list of books changes, and then fades away again.

Seems to be a change to the way the Library displays. Not sure why they changed it — it seemed pretty usable the other way — but there it is.
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #21
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbdsf View Post
Take care , depending on you hardware (I suppose), your Kobo will upgrade on few different firmware.
-2.1.4 - r43703
-2.1.4 - r43710
Don't know if they are from the same firmware file (the kobo choose the good options into this pacakage) or from 2 differents firmwares files.

(Always sorry for bad english level ^^)
Is there any comments as to why there seem to be two different firmwares rolling out? I don't want to download and manually do the update if it isn't the proper one for the device.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #22
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There are several threads with information about this sort of thing, kaikara. My basic understanding is that when the Touch was first released, how the readers "partnered" with other sellers (for example, Borders in the US vs Whitecoulls in NZ) accounts for some of this. The base firmware on the device when purchased may also influence this.

Kobo has not yet (and may never) weigh in on installing from the .zip file. They did tell people NOT to install the 2.1.1 .zip in a thread all its own.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
Is there any comments as to why there seem to be two different firmwares rolling out? I don't want to download and manually do the update if it isn't the proper one for the device.
I think you will probably find it was a minor change made to resolve a problem found after the initial push of 2.1.4 and (like has happened before) a new build was created with the same release number.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #24
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Yeah, Peter is probably correct. I still would not install from the zip unless Kobo said to go ahead, but that's me. FWIW, the beta group did install from a zip, just not sure if it is the same one.

Then again, for every person doing a zip install there is less pressure on the kobo servers. that has to be a good thing, right?

Last edited by taming; 10-04-2012 at 09:25 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #25
Glasofruix
Enthusiast
Glasofruix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Whopsie
Glasofruix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #26
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Not happening with my Touch yet. Don't want to manually install though. Guess I'll sync once a day or so, see what happens.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #27
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Taming, there was a link once where you could subscribe to the beta group.
Only you couldn't, everything on that page led to non-working links.

And I know how to fix the hyphenation thing. It's just a shame that kobo does not, especially since it is such a small thing to do...
PM me your Google account and I can add you to the beta group.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #28
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
mdc, thanks, I already am in contact with Sameer and just sent him my gmail addy.
Thanks too to taming for the suggestion!
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #29
MacEachaidh
Browser

My KT is now updated (thanks WS64). A lot of things are quicker than before, so that's good.

Has anyone else noticed this oddity, though?

I'm finding with things that should respond — going into Settings, or paging through the Library, or even in the new Intro that came up when my KT first restarted on the new firmware — that my KT is recognising the command — the icon or box flashes black, acknowledging it's been touched — but the page doesn't change. Often that happens two or three times with no outcome, until I finally get the result.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 10-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #30
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarx4s View Post
"<--------o---------->".

It is a feature. If there is only a few pages, then it displays as "< page 1 of 3 >" and pressing the arrow changes page. When there are more pages, it becomes the slider. You can press anywhere along the slider to scroll to get to a page quickly. I don't know if this was in previous firmware, but if it was, it is now used in a lot more places. Plus you get the popup with the "Page x of y". And on a lot of the screens with this, there is some other indication of where you are in the list. The library has "z-y of z items" in the top right corner.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote