Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #31
yaro
yaro began at the beginning.

Device: iriver
Smile Bookmarks in pdfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikan kona View Post
Iriver story
9. I can not bookmark pages in pdf's.
I had a similar problem and found a solution: you need to put the pdfs in a folder named "book". So I have two folders named "book" now, one on the internal storage, one on the SD card (with subfolders). Now I can set bookmarks in every pdf.

I still can't search for books, nor do they show up in the "book" section of the menu .
yaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #32
Felim
Felim began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story
I have just had my iRiver for two months, since Christmas 2010 and it CRASHED and FROZE. After ten minutes on the PC it was resetable.
However Waterstones were less than helpful suggesting I caused the problem and that they could only send it to the Manufacturer.
I SHALL NOT be recommending this to any of the Fifto odd family members or any one else.
Felim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #33
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
"It crashed and froze..." and... after hooking it up to the PC it was resettable...

Every computer device crashes and freezes at some time... if it can then be reset, what's the problem... did you check the last actions to see what might have caused the problem or did you just tell Waterstones, "It Crashed and froze..." What were they supposed to do... read your mind, look in a crystal ball... usual advice is you may have done something, what exactly was the sequence of events... if you can't help with this then it's a return to manufacturer for them to test/replace.

If you expect perfection then you probably shouldn't use consumer electronics because you won't get it... I spend half my life, when dealing with computer/consumer electronics problems, pinning down what people were or had been doing and most times the answer is, "Nothing," then after two hours of discussion/questions and testing. it turns out that that what happened was... and "Oh, was that important?" which if known would have enabled a 30 sec fix instead of a couple of hours. Book shop staff are not electronics engineers, they're usually trained in the basics of operation and told by manufacturers/suppliers to return items if beyond the obvious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felim View Post
I have just had my iRiver for two months, since Christmas 2010 and it CRASHED and FROZE. After ten minutes on the PC it was resetable.
However Waterstones were less than helpful suggesting I caused the problem and that they could only send it to the Manufacturer.
I SHALL NOT be recommending this to any of the Fifto odd family members or any one else.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:53 AM   #34
gambarini
Connoisseur
gambarini began at the beginning.

Device: IRiver Story, Ipod Touch, Android SmartPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felim View Post
Crash is not the correct word: when the sistem freeze normally you can reset the sistem... If the reset button doesn't work it means that the battery is totally discharged... the story show to you the last image (it is e-ink so a static immage doesn't require power)... Put the story under charge ... and you can solve your problem.

I am very satisfied of my story; obviously, new ebook reader are better than this not "upgrated" system.....
The sony ebook reader, for example, are much better with PDF of newsreader.
gambarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #35
Molly983
Molly983 began at the beginning.

Device: Iriver
Question Confused.....Please Help!

Hi,

I am so glad to have found a forum for iRiver!!!

I'v had my iRiver Story for a month now. Iv been converting my PDFs into ebooks using calibre, which is amazing and a huge help. Im happy with the unit except for a few small irritations:

I noticed i can never use the 'Favourites' button on my unit, as in whenever i try nothing happens. And favourites remains empty.

When reading a book there is no bookmark option under 'options' and the only thing that works is the recent book under menu but it NEVER remembers my zoom preference. Which is annoying.

When i received the unit there were some 200 classics preloaded on it though i could never view the titles, only the name of the Author. The rest gets cut off. But with Calibre my books are automatically arranged in folders according to Author. (I just noticed 'Search' doesnt work in my booklist either.
Are my books being saved in the wrong place? and if so how do i go about changing it. My books all appear under the My Folder menu - Books. I noticed the 'Book' menu on the main screen is empty as well as when i press the 'Books' button on the keypad, nothing happens.

I have no idea what firmware i have though i did try downloading the 1.61 that iv heard about, however i cant seem to find it! I'v checked on the iRiver website under downloads. It isnt there. Does any1 know where i can find this download? And will it help with my problems?

Thanx a mil!
Molly
Molly983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #36
samac
Connoisseur
samac doesn't littersamac doesn't litter

Device: EB03 iriver story
Favourites : Press the space bar * key when in the books menu for the books that you want as favourites, then Option, Activate favourites.

Menu/settings/view information will tell you your firmware version.

You're stuck with the cut off titles.

Bookmarks work fine with epub books don't know about pdf.

Hope this helps a bit.

samac
samac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #37
Molly983

thanx samac.

I tried what u suggested. It still doesnt work.
do i hold fav/space bar and then press options? tried that too.
I did find 'activate favourites' and 'add to favourites' under the options in books. Activated it. Now it just says deactivate. Doesn't save anything there though.

I only use epubs and still no bookmarks options. I found the new firmware tho. No difference with that either.

I wanted to try changing the location of my books, i just don't know how to check if its correct and change it if it isnt.

thanx for trying. do u think its my unit? is it possible theres a fault with it?
Even tho (touch wood) iv had no other problems with it such as screen burning/dots/uneven text/gray areas/freezing/etc. ( gosh now i feel ungrateful )
Old 03-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #38
samac
Connoisseur

Odd. When you press * a * should be shown beside the the book that you want to add to your favourites. Then after you have activated favourites then only the books with a * are shown.

samac
Old 03-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #39
Molly983

I know, my manual says that too. The unit just wont comply. Very weird. I was so convinced the button is faulty except it works wen using it for normal typing. Oh well. It gives me a headache thinking about it for too long!

The good news is that bookmarks now work!! yay!

It just appeared all of a sudden. Cant say how or why because i was messing around with it and I don't no exactly what i did.

Thanx for the help! I'm open to any suggestions,

Molly
Old 03-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #40
samac
Connoisseur

Most space bars have two contacts on them try pressing on the left hand side only, actually on the star *.

samac
Old 04-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #41
Santo
Santo doesn't litterSanto doesn't litter

Device: iriver Story (EB02)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly983 View Post
I know, my manual says that too. The unit just wont comply. Very weird. I was so convinced the button is faulty except it works wen using it for normal typing. Oh well. It gives me a headache thinking about it for too long!

The good news is that bookmarks now work!! yay!

It just appeared all of a sudden. Cant say how or why because i was messing around with it and I don't no exactly what i did.

Thanx for the help! I'm open to any suggestions,

Molly
Hi Molly,

I have no problems with either favourites or bookmarks. I'm running 1.86 firmware (preloaded from the shop) on normal Story (not touch sensitive Cover Story). When I turn on the device, there is a little star on the right of each book. This star is normally empty (only outlined), when I select some title and press "space", the star becomes full (dark) and the title is added to favourites. Then I activate favs from option menu and only the chosen ones are there.
Santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #42
Maja-san
Maja-san began at the beginning.

Device: iriver cover story
I purchased my iriver cover story about a month ago. so far it has been used daily for many hours sometimes. It has frozen once which i cured by pressing power and the two home buttons all at the same time. But today i notice that i'm also experiencing the fading of the ink in some places that I just read about in a post above.
Will take it back to the shop at first opportunity.
Maja-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #43
Molly983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santo View Post
Hi Molly,

I have no problems with either favourites or bookmarks. I'm running 1.86 firmware (preloaded from the shop) on normal Story (not touch sensitive Cover Story). When I turn on the device, there is a little star on the right of each book. This star is normally empty (only outlined), when I select some title and press "space", the star becomes full (dark) and the title is added to favourites. Then I activate favs from option menu and only the chosen ones are there.
My books also have a small block around them. Nothing happens wen i select a book and then press space. (even pressing both sides of the button Samac, i also thought maybe the contact was on the other side). Iv given up really.

Thanks for all the help u guys
Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #44
greenlees
greenlees began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
I've had the same problem and this is how I got around it, hope this helps.

Calibre by default puts all the transferred books in the iriver story "book" directory. But for some reason my iriver story doesn't list them when I press the BOOKS button. I have to navigate to them using MY FOLDER. And therefore I can't search, bookmark or use favourites.

BUT....

if I move all my book folders using windows explorer to the Adobe Digital Editions folder on the iriver, then everything works as it should. (not sure whether you need to connect the story to digital editions first just to activate it - I'd already done that - but I hated using digital editions, so I switched to calibre)

but then calibre doesn't see whats on the device because it looks at a different directory. So I disabled the iriver story plugin (in calibre preferences, plugins, device interfaces). And also edited the "Folder device interface" to have the same settings as the "iriver device interface". You have to restart calibre for the new settings to take effect.

Now whenever I connect my iriver to the computer, I click "Connect/Share" in Calibre, and "Connect to folder". Then I choose the adobe digital editions folder on the iriver story . Calibre remembers the folder setting after the first time. And Calibre now works perfectly with my device.

Something else I did to fix an annoyance with the way the iriver lists books was to chance the "Save template" on the "folder device interface" to :

{author_sort}/{series}{series_index:0>2s| |-}{title}-{authors}

That puts each book into the author folder, with the series, then title, then author. Its personal preference but I just find it easier to see the books that way.

cheers
greenlees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #45
Molly983

Hi! thank u SO much. i would try this but im having a bigger problem with my Iriver Story. A friend broke my screen and i cant seem to find a technician to replace it. The store i purchased it from referred me to a whole lot of people who hav never heard of iRiver! Im in shock. So now im considering a kindle. Anyone know if this is a good idea? I've heard the kindle DRM is a nightmare and that kindle can delete books off ur device remotely.

Also, I have dozens of e-books from my iRiver that I'd like to send to the kindle and Im not sure if this is possible.