Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
sturgeon
sturgeon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Kindle will be launched in Germany shortly

Hello there,

Amazon announced today that the KiIndle II will be made available for the German market.
Although, the device needs to be ordered in the US and customs charges will apply, the whispernet will work in Europe.

I have a DX and I am quite happy with it. I travel to the states quite frequently and can update there. However, does anyone know whether the Kindle for Germany will be an amended version against the US-version?

Is there any chance, that my DX will be supported through whispernet in Germany?

Best

Sturgeon
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The "Kindle with global wireless" uses a different wireless module than the standard Kindle and Kindle DX:
Quote:
Connectivity: HSDPA modem (3G) with a fallback to EDGE/GPRS; utilizes Amazon Whispernet to provide wireless coverage via AT&T's 3G high-speed data network in the U.S. and partner networks outside of the U.S.
So, Amazon calls both Sprint and AT&T "Whispernet" but the "Sprint" module won't work outside the US.

I have seen reports that the KDX will be available globally next year, presumably with this same AT&T wireless module.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraScott View Post
Is there a possibility that they will lauch it also in some countries in asia??

Yes. A number of Asian countries can get one. I have the entire list posted here, along with a second list for wireless coverage . . .

Kindle International

And here's the page with specific information regarding Kindle in Germany if anyone else finds this thread and wants to know more.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote