Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
kodak2057
kodak2057 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Unhappy disappointing

I have a Kobo Vox that I got for Christmas. Because it was a gift from my mom, I have downplayed the issues I have had with it, but I am very disappointed after conversations with customer "service." I have a crack in it, which I guess is my fault, but not really. I mean, it didn't spontaneously combust or anything. So I called customer service, and was told to fill out a request etc, now I've gotten my response that it doesn't fall under warranty coverage and will cost 90.00 to replace. However, I really don't feel like this piece of crap is worth it. In the time I've had it, I have had it completely crap out on me several times (ie I am at the beach, on an airplane or somewhere else where I need my book and cannot get to a computer or wireless signal) and it refuses to start up and then when it does I get an error message and it goes back to factory settings... good thing I happened to have a couple of books on my more reliable iphone!
The wireless is always very slow (despite the fact the my home network is VERY fast and reliable), the screen takes forever to reorient, and does it all the time despite the fact that I turned off that option... not to mention the VERY short battery life, which also drains whether in use or not if it is left on (and I find it unreliable to turn back on). So in short, it is slow, wastes time, and unreliable. And I am supposed to PAY more for the thing? If I can't find another way to fix or replace the screen I'll continue to use it for now (it is still usable, just cracked) and put that 90 towards an ipad.

So I guess my question is whether anyone knows of anywhere in Calgary or on the interwebz that I can find a replacement or get this fixed?

Last edited by kodak2057; 08-19-2012 at 08:04 PM.
kodak2057 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
kodak2057, so what exactly did Kobo tell you that the defect causing your problems was, that wasn't covered by the warranty? Inquiring minds want to know. Surely, they would have told you, not just made an arbitrary decision you couldn't question. If it's not their fault, but something you supposedly did, we want to know so we can avoid doing it.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
kodak2057

They didn't specify, but I am guessing it is because it is cracked? I mean that's not a defect so is clearly "someone's" fault. But what really bothers me is that when I called I told her that it was cracked, and she said it was under warranty and then they sent me an email with questions that I answered and then this was my response.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Yeah, I can see where a screen wouldn't crack spontaneously on its own, but of course there could have been a chip at the edge that caused it. Hard to prove. I know there are inexpensive kits on eBay to replace smartphone screens and they work if you're not sloppy and in a hurry.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
kodak2057

Thanks

I'll definitely check that out. Thanks for the tip. And yeah, I know it's not something that would generally be a "defect" but I was completely upfront about the fact it was an accident and was still told it would be covered in my initial contact with customer service. I don't think they are necessarily wrong but am peeved by the inconsistency and generally am unimpressed by the product.
Advert
Old 08-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

Device: touch
If I was you I would use this opportunity to start the move away from the vox as it is now so out of date and slow in its present form it is dead in the Android waters. Next week I will be purchasing a nexus 7 and sending my vox to the great recycle bin at the local tip.
d.culloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:24 AM   #7
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.culloch View Post
If I was you I would use this opportunity to start the move away from the vox as it is now so out of date and slow in its present form it is dead in the Android waters. Next week I will be purchasing a nexus 7 and sending my vox to the great recycle bin at the local tip.
When the Andrdoid app removes the store/recommendations from the home page I will do the same (already have the nexus)

Currently for me the vox provides a better reading experience
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
d.culloch
Derek
d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.d.culloch invented the internet.

I have decided to go with my playbook. Now instead of the nexus.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Enjoy

Are you sticking with Kobo on it or moving somewhere else?
Old 08-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
d.culloch
Derek

I am sticking with the kobo application as it is only the device that I have a gripe with. I use the kindle and comixology application on the kobo and playbook but on the whole I now feel that the playbook gives an all over better user experience. I also use the playbook with my work as the playbook has a better email, calendar package and a more responsive screen for typing. If I did not already have the playbook I would have probably went for the nexus.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
paulsalter
Fanatic

nice one, hope you enjoy
seen a few on here got the playbook and said it's very good
Old 08-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
d.culloch
Derek

Thanks