Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-06-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
Best Ereader for Iraq?

Does anyone know which reader would be best for someone who lives in Iraq? She actually lives in Kurdistan which is in Iraq, but independant, from what I understand. At first I thought of the Kindle but it does not look like it has coverage.

She has a computer and internet though.

Any suggestions?

thanks
EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
PocketBooks can handle ebooks in Arabic.
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
jules_july
The Green Reader!
jules_july doesn't litterjules_july doesn't litter

Device: The Green Reader Pocketbook
Dear Elinoah,

Arabic fonts are supported by all PocketBooks.

Have a look at www.greenreader.co.uk - we do ship worldwide for free.

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions - sales@greenreader.co.uk

Best regards!
jules_july is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Sounds like pocketbook is the way to go
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
Ectaco jetBook Lite says it supports Arabic but i have never personally tried it with mine.

Oh and they are $100 less which is always a plus

http://www.ectaco.com/ectaco-jetbook-lite/
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 02:23 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps it's worth pointing out, purely for purposes of accuracy, that the principal language of Iraqi Kurdistan is "Sorani", which is generally written using the Latin alphabet, although it can be written using an Arabic alphabet, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
jules_july
The Green Reader!

call me an arrogant bitch but I never believe into something that costs $100 and does it all - like a proper support of Arabic language, for example So one model on LBF - same 100 USD price, coloured screen - HA! try to read from your LCD for another 2-3 hours....
Old 05-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
GrouchoM
Enthusiast
GrouchoM began at the beginning.

Device: none
Farsi is not an Arabic language. I would think PRS 600 or Pocketbook would be the best options.

Last edited by GrouchoM; 05-10-2010 at 07:48 PM.
GrouchoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoM View Post
Farsi is not an Arabic language. I would think PRS 600 or Pocketbook would be the best options.
True - Farsi is not an Arabic language, but did anybody mention Farsi? Farsi is, however, written using a variant of the Arabic alphabet, even though it is an Indo-European language.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Most ebook readers that support PDF will correctly display Arabic books in PDF. The Pocketbook can be tweaked to display Arabic text in the correct right-to-left direction, but the letters will not be connected in non-PDF formats (such as HTML). This is annoying to someone proficient in reading Arabic and extremely discouraging to someone learning. I believe that the Onyx Boox may be able to display Arabic HTML properly.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
jules_july
The Green Reader!

Oh-la-la!

Nobody is perfect - I am Nobody

My dear friends, we will announce pretty soon perfect news about Arabic Languages in the PocketBooks. Will be done with the collaboration from our friends in Knightsbridge Area
Old 05-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #12
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNoah View Post
Does anyone know which reader would be best for someone who lives in Iraq?
One made from Kevlar?

afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
The language to be used was not stated, but I should imagine the question relates to download and reliability rather than language. I used both a Bookeen Gen 3 and a Sony PRS 500 then a PRS 505 in Iraq with internet download and no real problems apart from the speed of the connection at times.
This was over the last three years. If I have misunderstood the question apologies?

John
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #14
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
you can use jetBook or jetBook-Lite for Arabic, Hebrew and Vietnamese texts:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=25
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules_july View Post
call me an arrogant bitch but I never believe into something that costs $100 and does it all - like a proper support of Arabic language, for example So one model on LBF - same 100 USD price, coloured screen - HA! try to read from your LCD for another 2-3 hours....
Arrogant bitch.... Ha JK!!!, yea i thought the same thing, i actually got a jetBook as a present so i didn't know how inexpensive it was till i looked it up online (i do that for every gift a get )

Its a well made unit and the screen is really clear not like these other cheep $99 units i have seen. The main thing is its simple and easy to use and i'm no tech genius. They just need in it camouflage!

Anyone have a book in Arabic i can try it to see if it works
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote