Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
MacPort version of Sigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I ought to give compiling it up under Mac OS X a go. Hopefully this weekend.
I am planning to create a MacPort for it so if you find out anything important let me know.

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
In what way does it need more porting to the Mac? It needs some mac-specific fixes in the metadata, but the Applicaton itself looks very Mac-like. Native controls, proper menu bar, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
I am planning to create a MacPort for it so if you find out anything important let me know.

Martin
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #3
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
In what way does it need more porting to the Mac? It needs some mac-specific fixes in the metadata, but the Applicaton itself looks very Mac-like. Native controls, proper menu bar, etc.
I was just looking at his post an thinking "Is this a good thing or a bad thing?". I can't help but feel that if Sigil can be somehow improved for the Mac, I'd like it in the Sigil source tree myself. I'd certainly want someone to help me out with mac specific issues.

But if krischik wants to create a "MacPort", he can feel free to do so.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It needs some mac-specific fixes in the metadata.
The buttons are not all the same size, I know. Very irritating, isn't it? It looks fine on Windows and Linux, and I need to figure out what's causing this.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was thinking more of creator code and document icons myself. But they are relatively unimportant in alpha versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
The buttons are not all the same size, I know. Very irritating, isn't it? It looks fine on Windows and Linux, and I need to figure out what's causing this.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
Valloric

Quote:
I was thinking more of creator code and document icons myself.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I believe he is talking about MacPort a tool that retrieves, compiles and installs applications. A MacPort is a script that drives the "port" tool. I use MacPorts to install Ruby, Python, Bazzar, Mecurial, Subversion, Git, etc.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
If this thread has turned into Mac specific tweaks, one thing that isn't working is the 'Open With' finder menu option (probably same for configuring Sigil as default app for epub). It won't open the epub in this case.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
If this thread has turned into Mac specific tweaks, one thing that isn't working is the 'Open With' finder menu option (probably same for configuring Sigil as default app for epub). It won't open the epub in this case.
I've moved this to another thread.

Anyway, any mac specific issues can and should be raised. I don't have much (any) mac dev experience, or mac experience in general. For instance, I have no idea what an "Open With" finder option is. I can guess at it's function, but that's it.

You will have to provide more details.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Unfortunately I don't really know the specifics of how it works either. It's equivalent to 'open with' in windows. i.e. you right click on an epub, you select 'Open with', and choose Sigil as the target. I assume the OS is passing the application that filename on launch somehow, but I don't know the specifics.

Anyway, not urgent in any way, just something I noticed that's likely Mac specific.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Unfortunately I don't really know the specifics of how it works either. It's equivalent to 'open with' in windows. i.e. you right click on an epub, you select 'Open with', and choose Sigil as the target. I assume the OS is passing the application that filename on launch somehow, but I don't know the specifics.

Anyway, not urgent in any way, just something I noticed that's likely Mac specific.
Doesn't work on Win either. The command just calls up nthe software without opening the file. You have to do that manually! No big deal. I didn't even make an issue with it yet.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this.
Mac applications almost all have a 32-bit 'creator code' that identifies the Application to the OS in various ways. Not essential, but usual.

They also contain resources that link documents to the application, indicating that they can open the document and, if unique to the application, providing icons for the documents. Most of this happen in the Info.plist inside the application package Contents folder.

When I get Sigil compiling nicely on my Mac (i.e. when I have some hours to spend, perhaps this weekend), I'll see what I can do in terms of the metadata in the Info.plist. Icon design isn't my string point though. I can do one, but it won't be pretty!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Oooh - that makes more sense. Sorry for being obtuse.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I believe he is talking about MacPort a tool that retrieves, compiles and installs applications. A MacPort is a script that drives the "port" tool. I use MacPorts to install Ruby, Python, Bazzar, Mecurial, Subversion, Git, etc.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
Valloric

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Doesn't work on Win either. The command just calls up nthe software without opening the file. You have to do that manually! No big deal. I didn't even make an issue with it yet.
Now I know what this is. Sigil doesn't take a file as an argument. I'll try to fix this for 0.1.2.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #15
Valloric

Quote:
Mac applications almost all have a 32-bit 'creator code' that identifies the Application to the OS in various ways. Not essential, but usual.

They also contain resources that link documents to the application, indicating that they can open the document and, if unique to the application, providing icons for the documents. Most of this happen in the Info.plist inside the application package Contents folder.

When I get Sigil compiling nicely on my Mac (i.e. when I have some hours to spend, perhaps this weekend), I'll see what I can do in terms of the metadata in the Info.plist. Icon design isn't my string point though. I can do one, but it won't be pretty!
Please do. Any help on this front would be greatly appreciated. Adding information to the Info.plist is possible through CMake. You'll just have to tell me what to add and I'll find a way to add it.

The icons are not a problem: look into the Sigil app on Mac, there is a Sigil.icns file.