Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 05:31 AM   #1
colonel
Enthusiast
colonel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
How to make PRS-300 use whole screen ?

i am frustrated that the PRS-300 displays les text then the PRS-505 and 600 even though it has the same resolution.

There always seems to be a gap around the text which really wastes space.

does anyone know how to get rid of that gap ? to get more text on screen ?

thanks

Last edited by colonel; 12-03-2009 at 05:42 AM.
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
i am frustrated that the PRS-300 displays les text then the PRS-505 and 600 even though it has the same resolution.

There always seems to be a gap around the text which really wastes space.

does anyone know how to get rid of that gap ? to get more text on screen ?

thanks
This gap is called margins. If you want to get rid of those, use Calibre, set the margins to 0 and off you go!

Caution: This does not work for PDFs: You will have to convert those to another format. ePubs will suck pretty much, too, as the page numbers will bleed into the text heavily!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
colonel
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
This gap is called margins. If you want to get rid of those, use Calibre, set the margins to 0 and off you go!

Caution: This does not work for PDFs: You will have to convert those to another format. ePubs will suck pretty much, too, as the page numbers will bleed into the text heavily!
many thanks
so you are saying that the margins are actually built into the book file (e.g. the epub format)
so, by using calibre, I simply alter the margins of the epub and voila ?
Can Calibre do this on DRM books (i.e. purchased books, from waterstones say) ?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
colonel
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post

actually - i think this doesn't work for the prs-300
I think there is a minimum gap
Old 12-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
actually - i think this doesn't work for the prs-300
I think there is a minimum gap
Wowzee!

So you're pretty much stuck. Oh and no, Calibre can't manipulate DRMed books. But then again, a little Google search might solve this problem!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
FOr pdf's, the margin goes away if you go up a font size and reflow the text.

BTW, the 300 display shows text at the same size as the 6" screens, so there will always be less text on the 300 screen as compared with a 6" model (about 2/3 of the total characters/words) for a particular book file. The size of the text is NOT scaled down 5/6 size on the smaller screen.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote