Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #1186
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Shouldn't this be called a slideshow instead of a screensaver since eInk doesn't need to be saved?
I suggest you write a scathing blog post about why the word screensaver exists, then.

Why pick on E-ink when no screens need to be "saved"? (Hint: burn-in is a CRT problem not an LCD one. Not a problem nowadays.)

Assuming you were trying to be funny, do you think anyone cares, or is laughing, or wants you posting that in the support thread?

Also, it isn't a slideshow either.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #1187
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Also, because Amazon's system calls this screensaver is good enough for me .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2014, 10:03 PM   #1188
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Also, because Amazon's system calls this screensaver is good enough for me .
That was the obvious reason. But there are so many reasons.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #1189
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Also, it isn't a slideshow either.
Photo viewer then.

The reason it is called a screensaver on a computer is because it's the same thing as when we just had CRT screens. But on eInk we've never needed to save the screen. I know it'a just semantics, but it does seem silly to me.

Anyway, is there a way on Kindles to get what shows up to be the cover of the currently being read book?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #1190
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@JSWolf:
Quote:
What Does It Do?:

This will allow you to customize the screensavers (or sleep screens) used by your Kindle, replacing them either with your choice of images, the cover of the last book you opened or a simple unobtrusive overlay .
Advert
Old 07-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #1191
jdubon3
jdubon3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
@fogice: Because I don't have a magnetic cover, hence never really investigated that, but mostly because it stands to reason that, by definition, the hack's only job is to tweak the screensavers, not how/when they appear/disappear .
I have a spare magnetic case that I wouldnt mind handing over if it meant the development of the "swipe" feature. I take my kindle out of its case every once in a while because I like looking at the covers I have installed. It may seem like a minor issue, but it is a pain to press the button on the bottom since I am so accustomed to the auto-wake function. Also some of the comicbook images I use are dark yet look amazing when illuminated, but I am still only able to enjoy them for a split second after turning it on...
jdubon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #1192
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jdubon3: Unfortunately, AFAICT, that would mean digging into the behavior of the Special Offers system, which I'm loathe to do, for obvious reasons.

(That's the *other* reason why I never looked into it. I don't really want to open a can of worms. That's assuming I could even figure something out of it, which is a whole other thing .)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-05-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:06 PM   #1193
Phaazoid
Phaazoid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hey,
I just jailbroke my Kindle Paperwhite, and followed the directions for this hack. However, once I put the bin file in the root and disconnected, the "Update your Kindle" button was greyed out.

How should I go about fixing this? In an older post about jailbreaking I read that a

"restart otaupd" should fix it, but I can't figure out what that is
Phaazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #1194
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Phaazoid: If the jailbreak itself was successful, check that you're using the correct install .bin file (the _pw2 one, if your profile is accurate).
Old 07-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #1195
Phaazoid

The jailbreak was successful. If I accidentally copied over something else instead of p2, will copying over the p2 fix everything?

nevermind - I just checked, I definitely copied over the p2 file. So still stuck.

Maybe this isn't a paperwhite 2? The paperwhite that comes with either 3G or wireless is definitely the paperwhite 2, correct?

Last edited by Phaazoid; 07-05-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #1196
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Phaazoid: Check this wiki page to make sure, that's not enough info to differentiate the two (what does is what's actually embossed on the back of the device: Amazon or Kindle?).

And no, 2 different .bin files will lead to unpredictable results: bad idea.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #1197
Phaazoid

Hmm, I read the wiki file, and it seems I was mistaken, My kindle is just a PW, the beginning of the serial code was B024.

Should I factory reset the Kindle and start over? Or is there a simpler way to get rid of the previous bin?
Old 07-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #1198
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Phaazoid: What previous .bin? Nothing wrong happened, as you experienced, a Kindle won't let you run a package not designed for the right model .
Old 07-06-2014, 09:00 AM   #1199
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Wins its own spot in the FGA list:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #1200
Phaazoid

Ah, ok. I have it working now. Sorry for being such a noob, haha.

I'll list exactly the misunderstandings I had, so that maybe others won't run into them later.

The .Bin File for the Kindle PW 1 is listed as _touch_pw, so I assumed it was for some other form of kindle touch, so I assumed mine had to be the pw2, the only other option there that was only pw.

Once I moved the incorrect bin file to my kindle, and it wouldn't let me upgrade, and I plugged the kindle back in, the incorrect bin file which I had placed in there previously was gone. I had assumed this meant the kindle did something to it that I had to undo before I could use the correct one.

Once again, thanks for the excellent support!

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch