Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 08-23-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
leif
leif began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
LRF and stupid wide margins

I just got my Sony 505. All LRF files I've opened so far have space wasting margins. This is bugging me quite a bit. I have yet to download any managing software on my PC but have dragged and dropped some books onto my reader that were in txt format and they displayed perfectly using the entire screen. I've also heard RTFs do not have margins. Is there an easy way to convert a LRF book with margins into a file without margins? Will calibre do it? I was thinking of using this program for my book importing instead of the sony software since I don't plan on buying any DRM books anyway. Thanks.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Hello Leif. If you have been reading books from the Sony Store then I agree that they all seem to have margins which are far too wide. Actually they are mostly in LRX format -- which is just the DRM'd version of LRF. If they are LRX then there's no way of reconverting them.

A lot of members buy books in LIT from Baen, Fictionwise, or other stores, then convert them. You can use Calibre for this. Or Book Designer. And you can set the margins to your preferred size with both. RTF reflows to fill the screen. So does DOC. TXT can have a lot of unwanted hard line breaks, so I usually convert it.

Have a look at our book upload section: most of the conversions to LRF were done with either Calibre or Book Designer. You will see that the margins are much nicer than the Sony books. (And the formatting is generally superior too.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leif View Post
I just got my Sony 505. All LRF files I've opened so far have space wasting margins. This is bugging me quite a bit. I have yet to download any managing software on my PC but have dragged and dropped some books onto my reader that were in txt format and they displayed perfectly using the entire screen. I've also heard RTFs do not have margins. Is there an easy way to convert a LRF book with margins into a file without margins? Will calibre do it? I was thinking of using this program for my book importing instead of the sony software since I don't plan on buying any DRM books anyway. Thanks.
If you are talinkg about LRF and not LRX. Then you can use a tool I wrote a tool (in Perl) that removes the margins and can also change the font size if desired.

LRF2LRF tool
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 08-27-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Corrected grammer
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote