Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-03-2021, 01:26 PM   #1
Doctor13
Cosa Nostra Grammatica
Doctor13 began at the beginning.

Device: android tablet
Question Change library location?

Hi all. Sorry if this has been asked before, I did do a search (I promise!) but so many results returned that I couldn't possibly go through them all, and I found nothing promising-looking in the first few pages of results.

Anyway, recently got a new computer, and as I was setting it up I accidentally pointed my main library (Calibre Library) to the copy on One Drive, not the local copy. Can this be fixed, or do I need to back up my db, uninstall, reinstall, and get it right this time?
Doctor13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You need to move your library away from OneDrive. You should never ever allow your Calibre library to be touched by any cloud storage software. You will eventually screw it up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2021, 09:47 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You need to move your library away from OneDrive. You should never ever allow your Calibre library to be touched by any cloud storage software. You will eventually screw it up.
Isn't that exactly what @Doctor13 is asking? You really do need to read posts and try to actually answer the questions.

@Doctor13: I can think of two possibilities with what you have said you have done. But, both start the same way.

If you click the library button, the menu shows options for managing the library. The first is "Switch/create library". Clicking that shows a dialog for adding or moving a library.

If you have calibre actually using the cloud copy of the library, then you want to put in the local location for the library in the "New location" field. Then select the option "Use previously existing location library at the new location" and press the "OK" button. That will change calibre to use the local location. Which is probably in the directory that OneDrive syncs. And that is a probably a bad idea unless you are always turning off the syncing when running calibre.

If you want to change the library location to one that OneDrive does not sync, then do the above except choose the "Move current library to new location" option and put in a location outside the OneDrive directory.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
anoukaimee
Enthusiast
anoukaimee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Pixel 6 (Moon Reader/Calibre Companion), Amazon Fire 10
could you clarify? cuz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Glad to see this post, because I just wanted a clear answer on this. There is much contradictory (yet authoritative-sounding) info on this forum and others about using Calibre with cloud services. One thing all seem to agree upon: Google Drive is a no-go--so I haven't even gone there.

But seems like people are really split about using OneDrive (not as sure about other services), with about 2/3 saying it's fine and 1/3 saying absolutely not. Those who say it's fine note that one must be sure to sync only when closed out of the program.

Personally, I use OneDrive and have found it to work very well for my purpose. I do always close out entirely before syncing, but I was able to transfer my entire library of 20k+ docs, surprisingly trouble free, in a day from my old laptop to my new one (using @marcds' tutorial here.

That said: could you, or someone, clarify whether this stated OneDrive-Calibre incompatibility is still in effect? Whether it can be used with precautions? I've had no problems--of course, that doesn't mean that there won't be. And I know no one can give a 100% statement of reliability on the compatibility between two discrete services/pieces of software, but I guess I'm just dissenting here from the view that OneDrive absolutely cannot be used with Calibre--so long as the basic precaution of closing out of your library on all devices before syncing to the cloud is followed.

Would love to hear the thoughts of those with more expertise than I have on this one.
anoukaimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I used OneDrive with my Calibre library years ago, but I don't believe things have changed much in that regard. Despite my always closing Calibre before syncing, OneDrive started to randomly delete my library files one day. Fortunately I had backups. I restored my library from a backup, switched to Dropbox and haven't used OneDrive for anything since. In fact I've disabled it on every Windows device I own.

So I wouldn't recommend it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2021, 07:19 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Unlike GD, It is that it won't work (for now).

It is about when it will blow up in your face. It is all about timing and connectivity.

With a local drive, it is all in one box. With a network, it is 'n' boxes between calibre and the data. It only takes ONE burp along the way.

Recently my Internet became erratic. I replaced my router. no joy.
I had run new RG6 from where it came into the Attic, to all cable devices when I first moved in. Turns out the Neighborhood was recently undergrounded and the signal levels changed a tiny bit and that was all it took to trip up a 2' piece of old coax (thru the attic wall).
so NAS, Shares or Cloud. It is all about WHEN it will NOT be good.
We are trying to save everyone PAIN when we say DON'T
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:35 PM   #7
anoukaimee
Enthusiast
anoukaimee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara, Pixel 6 (Moon Reader/Calibre Companion), Amazon Fire 10
Thanks--appreciate that. So @theducks, even a NAS or some sort of LAN system is dangerous? Argh. Running out of room. Think I need to create an "archive" library and move some stuff out.

Interesting that Dropbox appears to be, for many, a solution, but per your answer, even that prob wouldn't do it.

Ok--thanks all.

Last edited by anoukaimee; 08-09-2021 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added identifier
anoukaimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:59 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A NAS/cloud is a perfect place for a Backup, but not the Active Library
Old 08-09-2021, 08:15 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dropbox is more robust than OneDrive. And in case of conflict, it doesn't delete your files, but creates a conflicted copy. If you know what you're doing, are very careful and run the library check regularly, it will work. The keyword is "careful". Never sync with Calibre open, never keep Dropbox running in the background (that's a bad habit, you may easily forget to pause syncing), never keep either Calibre or Dropbox running on more than one device at the same time. And check your library often.
Old 08-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #10
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoukaimee View Post
Glad to see this post, because I just wanted a clear answer on this. There is much contradictory (yet authoritative-sounding) info on this forum and others about using Calibre with cloud services. One thing all seem to agree upon: Google Drive is a no-go--so I haven't even gone there.
I was also going to ask about keeping Calibre's library in the cloud. I know years ago it was a no no, but I was wondering if that had changed at all.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:40 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I was also going to ask about keeping Calibre's library in the cloud. I know years ago it was a no no, but I was wondering if that had changed at all.
Still really a No No. Timing is everything (to Calibre)
Google Drive is an absolute NO
Some folk 'get away with....", It is your data. Do you want to risk it?
Old 08-15-2021, 09:40 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Still really a No No. Timing is everything (to Calibre)
Google Drive is an absolute NO
Some folk 'get away with....", It is your data. Do you want to risk it?
Yeah. Well, there's still no solution for working with your library on more than one computer, without keeping one of those computers constantly up and running. As has been noted by other posters, many people use multiple devices nowadays (desktops, laptops, tablets), they use them both at home and elsewhere and so naturally want to access their library from most of those devices. 15 years ago it was still normal to have only one personal computer per household, usually the desktop, so there was no real need for multi-user/multi-device access. Times have changed and having only one computer is not so common anymore, even for single people.

For example, I have my main laptop for using at home and another, smaller and lighter, for carrying around; I also have a Windows tablet, the smallest and lightest of them all. And I want to work with my library on them all. The content server has very limited functionality compared to full Calibre. More importantly, I live alone and don't leave any electrical devices running when I go out, the fridge being the only exception. That means no server. So using the cloud is really my only option. Flash drives are unreliable, slow and error-prone, practically impossible to use with large libraries; external drives are clumsy to use on the move, sensitive to movement while running (better now than 10 years ago, but still) and can get damaged when you drop them.

So yes, I want to risk it.

Sorry for the rant. I love Calibre, but this single-user single-device requirement has frustrated me for years. Because it's been years since I used only one computer for everything.

Tags
calibre, library, onedrive