Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-30-2015, 04:20 AM   #1
oakridge
oakridge began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, PC
Wine with updated Calibre and a shared data partition

Wine with updated Calibre and a shared data partition
I have a dual-boot machine, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04, with a shared partition called Data. I am using Calibre to sort a very large collection of documents, over 100,000, collected over many years, in different formats and different arrangement of first name, surname and title. Quite a job, but Calibre copes wonderfully.

This question has also been posted on the Ubuntu Forum with over 100 'reads' but no replies yet.

That is the small problem the big problem is that I am tackling the job in three ways, one one Ubuntu 12.04, one on Windows 7 and possibly one on another machine with Ubuntu 14.04. The Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 Calibre installations are 2.26 and the one on 12.04 was a very early version. I have just upgraded the last version to a Wine installation of 2.26, but now I have lost access to the Data partition in Calibre. I have a similar problem with the other machine in that the 'Open File' window of any application does not 'see' the network. To open a file you must go to the Home Folder and open a file from there. This solution does not work with Calibre.

This is a bit like trying to describe a spiral staircase without moving your hands, but I hope you have got the idea.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Malcolm
oakridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Networked drives are NOT supported.

NAS is officially not supported. If yours 'works' now, don't yell at us if it later breaks your Library.

Multi-OS access of the same Library not recommended (file system naming issues). I would even include Wine vs Windows here, just to be really safe.

Multiple (same time) access is a No No (any OS) except for the Content server, BOTH on the same system. CS Clients can be anywhere.

Consider VNC or Remote Desktop Connection and use only 1 system to work (as a host) on your Library.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
oakridge
oakridge began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, PC
Thank you for your reply. I win stick with Windows 7 I think.

Malcolm
oakridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakridge View Post
Thank you for your reply. I win stick with Windows 7 I think.

Malcolm
W7 is my Main Library (and Content Server)
I cheat with my Intake Library edits, but I can recover from a if needed (orphaned Metadata Edit windows seems to be my most frequent issue. A Calibre restart is all that is needed to recover)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:56 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There shouldn't be a problem accessing the files if the Data partition is simply mounted from the same disk. If you want to export it to another machine, I suggest mirroring it with rsync.

That being said, Windows and linux shared access might lead to dissociated files due to the aforementioned filepath issues. Restoring the database will fix that, but I still don't think I'd risk it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, shared partitions, ubuntu, wine