Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
robogeek
robogeek began at the beginning.

Device: None
Post White Text on Black Background

Hey guys,

I am looking for an EInk Device that has the option to show White text on a black Background. Now before people start flaming saying that it won't make a difference. My wife is LEGALLY blind, IE she can read things when they are close up, large enough, and the proper contrast.

Glare is a nonstarter, as a random flash of light reflecting off the screen can cause my wife headaches, so that leaves out any LCD type device, any device with a touch screen over the eink display, and maybe even anything OLED.

I found this thread earlier that refers to a PRS-505 Hack but i would prefer not doing that if at all possible.

My mother just got a Kindle 2 and my wife likes it and can read text on it at the 3rd level from high. but believes the contrast difference with a black background would be helpful.

Any direction you guys and GALS could give me would be great.

Thanks
Tim
robogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Kindle dx has a bigger screen and at the largest font size the letters are massive in size. I can read it from across a room like a street sign. May just fit the bill
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
I'll second that recommendation for the new Kindle DX. The DX has a larger screen to display the larger fonts and the contrast is better on the new DX (or so I'm told). She might also make use of the text to speech.

Last edited by mike_bike_kite; 07-15-2010 at 08:11 PM.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
The National Federation for the Blind recommends Ray Kurzweil's product line ...

http://www.knfbreader.com/
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
from my list of ereaders:
Intel (R) Reader for low vision/blind users
http://www.ctlcorp.com/v4/p-879-intelr-reader.aspx

BookSense text and audio book reader for Low Vision formats
http://www.gwmicro.com/BookSense/Comparison_Chart/

list: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...en&output=html

research: http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AS...emY0em00&hl=en

A friend who has an ipad said they offer white text on black background and maybe a third alternative as well...

I'm legally blind and enjoy the free NLS Bard talking books (tape and digital)

https://nlsbard.loc.gov/ApplicationInstructions.html

If you haven't heard of it it is a nice service

There's also
Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic (RFB&D) offers an online catalog of the best audio book and audio learning opportunities on the internet.
www.rfbd.org/ (free)

For the disabled, Bookshare leverages the collections of individuals who scan books. Braille books and tools for downloading.
www.bookshare.org/ (not free, but some libraries have a small assistance program)

American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
www.afb.org/
has forums for technology and books that might be of interest

Last edited by tomereader; 12-29-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: rembered ipad
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 AM   #6
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
THAT is a great, informative post, tomereader. It should be a "frozen," highlighted reference page for all visitors to easily locate.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
tomereader
Zealot
tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomereader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ectaco JBL, Archos 5, 7, 70, Kindle DXG, Craig 7, Vizio Vtab
I was going through the cnet reviews of ereaders today and they showed the
pandigital novel as having a "night time" font setting of white on black

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...=mncolBtm;rnav

and bed bath and beyond has it for 169 not counting any coupons....

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=17504215
tomereader is offline   Reply With Quote