Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
development: maemo? Alone? Familiar?

having X11+matchbox, how should we focus the porting of applications? To follow the maemo scent, aiming even for binary compatibility? To hang on the GPE roadmap? Or simply wait and see?
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
I see no real use in porting all the software for {qtopia|opie|gpe|qpe|familar|my grandmother}.

Playing with the device, I'd say that every minimally interactive application will be a pain in the ass on the iliad. Simply typing in username + password was no fun at all.

The iliad is great at displaying mostly static content, and we'll need clever applications for that.

However, I'm sure people will port applications, it will be a bad experience with ultra-slow screen updates, and another situation where linux-newbies get to see the worst a linux can perform, as usual.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Actually you get the hang of typing stuff and not seeing what you typed. Thats not so bad. Even draging windows across the screen is fun And i think attaching a usb keyboard and then typing with updates every few seconds could be nice.

So i would still like to see some pda functionality. Mainly calendar, maybe addressbook.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
calender would be cool...you don't need a fast display for that...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
me too...plus

*Outlook synchronization

I opt for the meomo scent...although I am no expert at all.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
A sequential image viewer would be good. (particularly one that can cope with the images in a cbr or cbz format)
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@Riocaz:

OT: Do you have any news on the whereabouts of your Iliad yet?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Yup!

I've just (well since I left work) received the tracking number.

It's in the vicinity of Onceways' device and still in Germany...

It's not so bad now that I know it's enroute.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:02 PM   #9
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
I see no real use in porting all the software for {qtopia|opie|gpe|qpe|familar|my grandmother}.

Playing with the device, I'd say that every minimally interactive application will be a pain in the ass on the iliad. Simply typing in username + password was no fun at all.

The iliad is great at displaying mostly static content, and we'll need clever applications for that.

However, I'm sure people will port applications, it will be a bad experience with ultra-slow screen updates, and another situation where linux-newbies get to see the worst a linux can perform, as usual.

Perhaps we should first to keep an eye in the wishlist, see what we can port, and what needs to be done.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
FGFuzaxx
Enthusiast
FGFuzaxx has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: maybe Iliad ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Perhaps we should first to keep an eye in the wishlist, see what we can port, and what needs to be done.

Yup, there is more than enough to do

Greetings,
Frank
FGFuzaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:10 PM   #11
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Sorry for the frustration, but I've seen this before. I have a Zaurus, and initially it was fun to port all kinds of software to it.

In the end, all the efforts turned the thing into a bad subnotebook and not a good pda, at the cost of a cheap real subnotebook. It's somewhat cool to run freeciv on it, but that doesn't help at all when there's no real calendar and my laptop runs freeciv just so much better.

I would like to see the Iliad becoming the device for reading -- which means blazingly fast rendering times and low energy consumption.

However, the disappointing truth is that the software on the Iliad is just a cheap collection of desktop software ports. You can easily port freeciv. But I cannot imagine that powersaving will ever really work. And the pdf renderer is just xpdf (which uses a lot of fpu operations, right?).

Frustrated:
ali
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:19 PM   #12
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
Sorry for the frustration, but I've seen this before. I have a Zaurus, and initially it was fun to port all kinds of software to it.
Yep, we need something more creative than simple porting. For instance the high view angle of eink, plus wireless ability, should let for multiplayer games more interesting than crimson or freeciv.

Our funnier work in the Zaurus was a mouse interface. We captured a light with the camera and translated its moves to mouse moves, which in turn we sent via USB to the host computer. So yes, creative work is more satisfying in the long run.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
And the pdf renderer is just xpdf (which uses a lot of fpu operations, right?).
Hmm sure? There is not a fixed point mode (just guessing)?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:22 PM   #14
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
which part of power saving shouldn't work, in your opinion?

Clocking down the processor, check, making the whole thingie hibernate, check. Both i can even do on my notebook running linux. Anything else? Ok, switching wlan off. Here i trust in iRex.

And concerning the pdf renderer: what's easier to do: write your own alternative pdf viewer for a running linux with an X server or do everything from scratch on a new device with strange new custom-built OS which most probably would never receive a proper SDK?
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:26 PM   #15
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
what's easier to do: write your own alternative pdf viewer for a running linux with an X server or do everything from scratch on a new device with strange new custom-built OS which most probably would never receive a proper SDK?
Not easy to answer. Nobody has done a more decent xpdf for decades.