Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Creating TOC for dummies.

Unfortunately, I'm back. I've read the manual, and tried every option and combination of selections in Calibre and still I can't figure out how to make a table of contents for my ebooks.

I usually start out with them in RTF format after converting them from PDF, but I've only managed to make an actual table of contents once, and that was months ago and I still haven't figured out how I did it!

It made chapter marks (jump to next chapter) when I put it on my Kindle, and I'm trying to do that again, but this seems above me >_<;

Anyone have a step by step guide for someone like me who hasn't a clue what they are doing?

Thanks in advance
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi Anarel,

Are the chapter headings in your RTF marked as headings? For instance, if you loaded the RTF into MSWord, the chapter headings need to be given one of the in-built Heading styles, i.e. "Heading 1" or "Heading 2" etc. not "Normal", "Normal (Web)" or "Body Text".

If you have converted from PDF to RTF using one of the many free "PDF to Word" utilities around, there is a possibility that every paragraph is "Normal", i.e. Calibre may not see any difference between the chapter headings and the body text.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Learic
Learic began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Tilt 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Hi Anarel,

Are the chapter headings in your RTF marked as headings? For instance, if you loaded the RTF into MSWord, the chapter headings need to be given one of the in-built Heading styles, i.e. "Heading 1" or "Heading 2" etc. not "Normal", "Normal (Web)" or "Body Text".

If you have converted from PDF to RTF using one of the many free "PDF to Word" utilities around, there is a possibility that every paragraph is "Normal", i.e. Calibre may not see any difference between the chapter headings and the body text.

Hi Jackie_w,

I'm new here as well and I just started using Calibre to convert my RTF files to Mobi but I have a question about the TOC. I use the option for the TOC to be autogenerated and it works great but the problem I have is that it is placed at the end of the file after the conversion. Is there a "placeholder" or something I can put into the RTF so when Calibre creates the Mobi file, it will place the TOC in that location? I'm trying to get the TOC at the beginning of the book!
Learic is offline   Reply With Quote