Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #61
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Reader needs a clock in order for the time limited DRM of ePub/PDF to work so you can borrow from the library.
The interesting thing is that the PRS-500 came with a clock too - before Adobe DRM.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:01 AM   #62
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep, under settings date/time...
Ha! I am like the guy who uses a microscope as a hammer. I will have to check that out. It doesn't display though, does it? That would waste a lot of battery. Anyway, I will figure it out - you have wasted enough time on this for me. Thanks.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 04:06 AM   #63
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Interesting that you should ask
Some advantages I can think of:
  • <snipped>
  • It was made by the people who made the device, so compatibility and handling of file transfers is meant to be guaranteed.
I can see why you say that, but in my experience it's a case of logic and the facts being at variance. I've stopped using the Sony software because it keeps hanging - I mean does 11 hours to copy one book to the Reader seem reasonable? No, I didn't think so either.

Sony software is oddly poor; I don't know why. If you can design and build the kind of stuff that keeps their rep so high, how hard can it be to build some decent reliable software with a good UI?
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #64
tbov
tbov began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
new sony software out now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick101 View Post
I can see why you say that, but in my experience it's a case of logic and the facts being at variance. I've stopped using the Sony software because it keeps hanging - I mean does 11 hours to copy one book to the Reader seem reasonable? No, I didn't think so either.

Sony software is oddly poor; I don't know why. If you can design and build the kind of stuff that keeps their rep so high, how hard can it be to build some decent reliable software with a good UI?
What software do you use?? I really love my sony reader, but am tired of calling support everytime an update is done.
tbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:48 AM   #65
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbov View Post
What software do you use?? I really love my sony reader, but am tired of calling support everytime an update is done.
I use Calibre - supported in this very forum
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #66
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I use Calibre - supported in this very forum
But you can't purchase books from the Sony Store except with the Sony Library App.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #67
nick101
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
But you can't purchase books from the Sony Store except with the Sony Library App.
Well, those of us condemned to live outside the USA don't get that privilege anyway
Old 12-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #68
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, those of us condemned to live outside the USA don't get that privilege anyway
Ah. Gotcha.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #69
crash86
Enthusiast
crash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to beholdcrash86 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle 3, K4 and PW 1st gen
I haven't read through all of the threads in here but maybe somebody out there can help me out. I have a Mac, Snow Leopard and had a 505 with the digital editions and the old sony e-library and my computer was authorised and no problems. I got the new 600 and downloaded the preloaded software for my Mac. I tried to open an Adobe DRM protected book and was asked to enter my adobe ID and password to authorise my computer but the authorisation keeps failing. on the ABOUT E-Library info page it says that my computer is NOT authorised for Adobe DRM protected content. I can't seem to get this to change or for it to accept authorisation from Adobe.

I called Adobe and they couldn't figure it out and said that I had to go online to register a problem through their 'portal' system and that I would receive a solution in three days. I did this four days ago and still haven't heard anything.

I figured I would come here and ask if anyone else has had this problem and if they were able to solve it cause right now the program is useless to me as my Digital Editions software doesn't recognise my new Sony 600 at all and my old 505 wont shut off and is frozen and I can't get that to work.

If anybody has any info that would be great!
crash86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #70
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash86 View Post
I figured I would come here and ask if anyone else has had this problem and if they were able to solve it cause right now the program is useless to me as my Digital Editions software doesn't recognise my new Sony 600 at all and my old 505 wont shut off and is frozen and I can't get that to work.

If anybody has any info that would be great!
This is probably not the answer you want, but using calibre and reading this thread will provide a solution. I just did it myself, so I can walk you through it. Just don't install a new version of python - if you get stuck, PM me.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:55 AM   #71
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:

If it's supposed to be guaranteed, you have comeback with Sony if something goes wrong... you can go back to them and ask them rather politely to fix things! Hopefully, this may make a difference.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #72
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
I've just tried upgrading my sony software from the update section within the software but it was downloading so incredibly slowly (30 mins and only approx 1/5th done) that I cancelled the download.

I'm running Vista home edition.

So I'm going to leave the update for now. I don't really use the software - I use Adobe for my library books and calibre for all my other books - so seems a pointless excercise apart from the fact that I like all my software to be current.

Oh well !
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #73
lwallman
lwallman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
This is the email I just to Sony tech support: I've spent all day trying to work around your buggy software update (3.1) to eReader. User cannot continue using the former version (2.5). User is forced to "upgrade". On my work PC, the only way to get it to run is to launch it using another user's logon on the same PC. On both my work and home PC, the Wishlist will not display beyond page 1. Incredibly, I am told the "fix" for this is that I must purchase the first book on the list. Then it will display "page 2" (as if each "page" is displaying one book only). This is absurd, of course, but how can an incompetent "tech support" support poor software? You are done, Sony. Hello Kindle.
lwallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #74
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwallman View Post
This is the email I just to Sony tech support: I've spent all day trying to work around your buggy software update (3.1) to eReader. User cannot continue using the former version (2.5). User is forced to "upgrade". On my work PC, the only way to get it to run is to launch it using another user's logon on the same PC. On both my work and home PC, the Wishlist will not display beyond page 1. Incredibly, I am told the "fix" for this is that I must purchase the first book on the list. Then it will display "page 2" (as if each "page" is displaying one book only). This is absurd, of course, but how can an incompetent "tech support" support poor software? You are done, Sony. Hello Kindle.

What? I hope they understand that better than I do.

(well the wish list thing I understand -- Any one else see this problem?)
Old 12-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #75
wolfshades
wolfshades began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by XK143 View Post
@tscharf: I have never been able to get the sync to work...it's lousy. All I can do with any consistent result is to drag and drop. I finally just accepted that the Sony software is incredibly limited <-- how's that for being diplomatic? And 3.1 appears to be no better. I'll need to use it some more before making a decision on where I'm headed with e-books next. I doubt another Sony purchase is in my future if this is where we're headed.
Yes, that's exactly it. I've purchased probably my first and last Sony eReader - mostly because of the buggy software. There are competitive eReaders out there, and I'll have to give one of them a shot.

I was surprised to see that the eReader software display doesn't match any kind of protocol (at least not on the Mac, don't know about Windows). You have to continually re-size the window every time you click because it wants to revert to a sub-standard size. And that's a very *minor* but annoying problem compared to the rest of the problems people here have spoken about.

Someone else said it best, in their letter to Sony: goodbye Sony, hello Kindle.
wolfshades is offline   Reply With Quote