Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #196
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I liked Patient Zero, but I wasn't blown away by it. The fight scenes were waaaay over-analyzed. Breaking reaction time down to milliseconds and describing every single movement (and how it relates to center of gravity and leverage) started to read like a lesson in kinesthesiology and physics. Sometimes, it's OK to simply say; "he kicked the zombie's head off."

That, and the decision to use Muslim extremists in an "instant bad-guy in a can" role, left me a little underwhelmed.

As has been mentioned previously in this thread, Brian Keene is my "go to guy" when it comes to zombies.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #197
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7" & 8.9"/Sony PRS 950/Entourage eDGe/Acer A500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
New at Smashwords - The Dead Walk Diaries: Night.
Joe Young, $7.99

"The world changed forever in one night, the first night of the zombie epidemic. A countless number of people were killed only to rise again as the walking dead. This collection of diaries are the first-hand accounts from people that witnessed what happened. Gathered from journals, reports, notes, and video recordings–It paints a vivid picture of the horror, atrocities, and chaos that occurred."

I read the free first 10% and put it in my cart for future consideration. I got two stories and part of a third. Each tells of the start of Z-Day from different points of view. First was a young girl in a car with her parents descibing what she sees in her diary. Second was a group of stoner rockers more concerned with jamming and drinking then then taking the whole "survival" thing too seriously. The third is a group of boarders filming their stunts and then capturing short "videos" snippetts of the start of the zombie apocalyspe and the kid's growing awareness. The first two end on cliffhangers so I don't know if the story comes back around or not. Also don't know if adult points of view show up in later tales. Standard Romero zombies, blood and gore aplenty in the sample.
Finally got around to buying and reading Dead Walk Diaries and was not disappointed. The entire story is told as it's happening. Each story is by and about different characters, but they all happen in the same town and sometimes intersect. It's an interesting and enjoyable hook; the characters are believable, the situations horrifying. Young is talented. Can't wait for new Diaries!
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #198
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie
ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZombieEatsYou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just started "Ex-Heroes." Superheros defend a fortified Paramount studios against the "exes;" as in ex-living. Interesting premise but don't know where it's heading yet.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #199
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
I haven't read through the whole thread, so my apologies if it's already been mentioned. May I suggest Hollowland by Amanda Hockings (it's available both on Kindle and Nook).
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #200
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Quote:
Just started "Ex-Heroes." Superheros defend a fortified Paramount studios against the "exes;" as in ex-living. Interesting premise but don't know where it's heading yet.
Downloaded a sample of this. I actually like it very much, but like you hard to tell in the first 50 pages where it would go. Will probably buy it. Other than The Undead Situation, this may be my favorite zombie book this year. Really like the writing.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #201
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Not far into it, but it is not bad so far, as it is unique....

Sherlock Holmes and the Zombie Problem.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:01 AM   #202
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

Just download Rise Again and Eden. Anyone read these yet?
Old 12-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #203
Pickering
Connoisseur
Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.Pickering is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
Loved that book

Quote:
I just finished that one. It was very enjoyable and definitely a unique take on the genre. I really liked how the author explained how the zombie "virus" developed. I highly recommend this one.

Last edited by Pickering; 12-05-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #204
jsites
Enthusiast
jsites doesn't litterjsites doesn't litter

Device: Sony Pocket PRS-350 Silver
These books may have been mentioned, if so, than I'll just repeat it as a recommendation.

The 2 J. L. Bourne zombie books are fun, rather quick reads.

Day By Day Armageddon
Day By Day Armageddon: Beyond Exile
jsites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:13 PM   #205
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

Finished Ex-Heroes. I enjoyed it a lot. More of a super-hero story in a zombie universe rather than vice versa. What this means is I don't feel the zoms were a real threat in and of themselves. Only when the "bad guys" get their own Heroes, are the good guys really pressed. Still, there are a myriad of different heroes and their powers were well conceived and explained.

I give it 4 Brains.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #206
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

Been audiobooking Jonathan Maberry's <i>Rot and Ruin.</i> TOTALLY different from his <i>Patient Zero.</i> Unlike most zombie stories, this one takes place 14 years after "First Night." Tom is a zombie bounty hunter; taking contracts from the residents of Mountainside, CA to find their zombiefied relatives outside the town's fences in the "rot and ruin." But Tom is bounty hunter with a heart; he feels that dead people all deserve the same respect - whether they're in a coffin in a graveyard or walking around in the ruin of the world. His 15 year old stepbrother, Benny, hates "Zoms" and has little respect for Tom, who Benny considers a coward for running away with the then 14 month old Benny; leaving their father to devour their mother on First Night.

Upon reaching 15, though, Benny has to find a job in order to continue to receive ration coupons. Being a typical 15 year old, Benny's ideal job is one that is not boring and not very hard. He is disappointed, however, and is forced to ask Tom to make him his apprentice in the family bounty hunting business.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #207
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I just finished Patient Zero and found it too cartoonish for me. YMMV.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #208
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Why the hell would anyone READ a zombie BOOK?

I have seen just about every zombie and cannibal movie out there worth seeing, but never have I felt the urge to read about the undead.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #209
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
Why the hell would anyone READ a zombie BOOK?

I have seen just about every zombie and cannibal movie out there worth seeing, but never have I felt the urge to read about the undead.
Tastes vary, I suppose.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:05 AM   #210
ZombieEatsYou
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I just finished Patient Zero and found it too cartoonish for me. YMMV.
Agree it was very Vince Flynn-ish but I enjoyed the heck out of it. It's cartoonish in the way James Bond is. Rot and Ruin is nothing like PZ, I think it was a good 1 1/2-2 hours before the first zombie kill. Lot's of character and emotional background.