Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #586
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I just downloaded Marvin for free.looks great. I'll have to convert to EPub tonight and email some books.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #587
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

Wait till you see version 1.2, arriving in a few days. Absolutely astounding.

http://marvinapp.com/whatsnew.html

Last edited by Faterson; 01-27-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #588
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
I can't wait.

I hope it will work with COPS! (Calibre OPDS PHP Server)

THAT would be an awesome combination.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #589
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs up

Calibre server definitely works in Marvin 1.2, and you can also add an unlimited amount of custom OPDS servers. There's also a web browser built directly into Marvin 1.2, so that you can also directly open a book from any webpage. It really can't get any faster or handier.

(Not sure about the "PHP" part, as I don't use OPDS catalogues myself. The no. 1 new feature in Marvin 1.2 for me is the long-awaited paragraph spacing. Yay!)
Old 01-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #590
mariosipad
Guru
mariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watchmariosipad is clearly one to watch

Device: iPad & iPhone with Marvin 2 + 3 & Kobo Glo HD
Great!

When Marvin 1.2 is out I will report back if it works or not.

It looks like Marvin will replace Stanza as my nr. 1 bookreader.
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #591
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosipad View Post
It looks like Marvin will replace Stanza as my nr. 1 bookreader.
It already has for me, after I used Marvin for about 2 days back in December. Marvin's arrival is one of the top events of 2012 for me -- sorry, but the US presidential election fades in comparison to that, in terms of significance. I was incredibly frustrated for years, having witnessed Amazon's killing of Stanza. (And prior to that, the very same killing of Mobipocket Reader. Amazon is just absolutely merciless in annihilating any app that dares to be better than their own; I hope this will never happen to Marvin.)

The feature that persuaded me to switch from Stanza to Marvin almost immediately, was the way Marvin handles highlights and annotations. This has long been a Stanza weakness. Marvin lets you export/import highlights and annotations with a touch of a button, so that was that.

Of course, I still keep Stanza as my no. 1 e-reader on the iPhone, because it will take a few months before Marvin for iPhone is available. In fact, I'm keeping my iPhone on iOS 5 so that I can run Stanza on it as bug-free as possible.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #592
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Wait till you see version 1.2, arriving in a few days. Absolutely astounding.

http://marvinapp.com/whatsnew.html

One word. Wow. Kris has been working real hard. Now anxiously awaiting the next iOS stage
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #593
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So how do I move books from Calibre to my iPad? Dragging from Calibre to Marvin in iTunes did not work.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #594
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
You can transfer to Marvin with Dropbox, Calibre OPDS, Web Browser, and also iTunes. I tunes works fine for me. I output the ePub to disk and drag it into Marvins file transfer window. All methods works fine.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #595
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

You can also email any book to yourself and open it in Marvin.

I use SugarSync to load books in Marvin. I set up SugarSync so that it backs up all Calibre folders. In the SugarSync app on the iPad, I can just browse all Calibre folders and open any Calibre book in Marvin from the SugarSync app.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #596
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Caliber OPDs? Call me a novice and please explain. I know about Dropbox but would prefer to avoid yet another account. I'll look at SugarSync.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:45 AM   #597
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
You can transfer to Marvin with Dropbox, Calibre OPDS, Web Browser, and also iTunes. I tunes works fine for me. I output the ePub to disk and drag it into Marvins file transfer window. All methods works fine.
I tried iTunes but couldn't get the drag to work. So I have to output the ePubto disc? I'll give that a go.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:58 AM   #598
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Hi ProfCrash,

You shouldn't drag your books directly to your iPad in iTunes, you should drag them to Marvin's file transfer window. There is a nice tutorial on this here: http://lifehacker.com/5806075/how-to...-for-beginners

It is for iTunes 10 but it is very similar if you're using iTunes 11.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #599
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I'll check out the tutorial when I get home. I had the file transfer windown open, I could see the books that come loaded on Marvin. I highlighted the ePubs in Calibre and dragged them to that window but they wouldn't drop in. I have no idea why. I have iTunes 10, I am trying to avoid 11 since I hear that it really, really sucks.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #600
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Just in case... if your selection contains folders, iTunes won't cooperate.
Closed Thread