Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Nilotikus
Nameless Being

Can you buy from Amazon without their software

I've been trying to buy an e-book from Amazon but can't find a way to do it. It seems they want you to install a load of their software first - but they don't even provide such software for Linux anyway.

After a good search I've been unable to find the book anywhere else, not even in paper format.

Anyone know how to do this or if it's even possible?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Nope, not without some device that uses their software. You don't have a smartphone or tablet, either?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You need an app to read a Kindle book if you don't have a Kindle device. It is very easy to install Kindle for PC, if you have access to a Windows box. I wouldn't call the software "a load", just one app. If you have a smartphone, you can download Kindle for Android, or Kindle for iOS.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If you have an Android or iDevice, you can use the Kindle app to purchase the book. It will be in Amazon's proprietary ebook format so you will have to do some liberating and converting to read it on your Kobo.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You need an app to read a Kindle book if you don't have a Kindle device. It is very easy to install Kindle for PC, if you have access to a Windows box. I wouldn't call the software "a load", just one app. If you have a smartphone, you can download Kindle for Android, or Kindle for iOS.
Now I would call Kindle for PC a 'load'. Although not very much in terms of disk space there's a lot of individual files & registry entries for it. That's very common with Windows apps though. Basically, lazy programmers.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilotikus View Post
I've been trying to buy an e-book from Amazon but can't find a way to do it. It seems they want you to install a load of their software first - but they don't even provide such software for Linux anyway.
Just install Kindle for PC under Wine in a virtual machine...
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Nilotikus
Nameless Being

No. All I have is my trusty old desktop.

I was gonna convert it to epub so I could read on my Kobo. The price is pretty good at Amazon.

It seems like even if I had a Kindle I couldn't buy it though as I don't have wifi. Glad I went for the Kobo instead now.

A bit more searching and I've now found a cheap used paper copy on Abebooks so might just go for that instead if there's really no way to purchase from Amazon.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
It seems like even if I had a Kindle I couldn't buy it though as I don't have wifi.
Not sure why you say this. WiFi makes it all work a bit easier, but if you had a Kindle (without 3G) you can also download to a computer and transfer via USB.

Quote:
if there's really no way to purchase from Amazon.
Kindle 4 PC under Wine works fine for quite a few people.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Buy it for Kindle PC and use Calibre to strip and convert.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
You can technically buy via the webpage, and then read using the Kindle Cloud Reader webpage. You don't really download the books, but it is better than nothing.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Just install Kindle for PC under Wine in a virtual machine...
Should be "or in a virtual machine". Wine would not require a virtual machine, and, depending on the OS, a virtual machine would not require Wine.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No. All I have is my trusty old desktop.
I only meant as a way of getting the ebook in question. Once you have it, you'll probably want to strip the DRM anyway, and just convert to whatever format you need.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
rogue_librarian
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Wine would not require a virtual machine, and, depending on the OS, a virtual machine would not require Wine.
True, but it makes the post-buy cleanup so much easier, and doesn't affect your desktop no matter what.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Now I would call Kindle for PC a 'load'. Although not very much in terms of disk space there's a lot of individual files & registry entries for it. That's very common with Windows apps though. Basically, lazy programmers.
Any modern OS I'm familiar with use multiple files for programs. What do you use that doesn't?
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #15
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
Any modern OS I'm familiar with use multiple files for programs. What do you use that doesn't?
Some of the RAM-resident linux distros like Puppy (~110MB!) and Tiny Core (11-60MB!) store the OS and standard apps in a single, bootable .iso file. Additional software packages are kept in individual files (ie, one file per application). Changes like documents and settings live in a combined user userspace savefile if you want to save state. It's not a solution for everyone's taste but they are very lightweight and fast. These functional and free OSes run in less RAM (and can load faster) than, say, Word.

There may be other examples of this kind of approach but I do not have personal experience with them.

The PortableApps approach seems to help keep Windoze app installs from flinging their stuff quite so far. I keep Portable firefox, putty, vlc, etc, (and usb bootable Puppy linux described above) on my keyfob USB.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote