Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Kindle 4NT battery drain

I have a Kindle 4NT that seems to have normal battery life in use (lasts close to a month when I read daily) but drains faster than it should when "off" and stored. Twice now I have pulled it from a bag after a month or so not being used with the battery dead. The device was "off" with the 7 second press both times, nothing indexing, wireless off. Battery was fully charged when I stored it.

Can anyone think of why this would drain like this? Even if it were somehow accidentally turned "on" by having the button pressed when the bag moved it would then go to sleep and still shouldn't drain so fast right?

A Touch I am borrowing has sat just as long and the battery barely changed from full.

Last edited by heeby; 07-13-2012 at 05:00 PM.
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I would call that odd. Maybe try a factory reset first to see if it solves the problem. If not time to call for a replacement.

My K4 does not do that I get about two weeks charge with my usual reading habits.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

To be clear when I use it there is no issue with battery life. 3 weeks plus. This issue is when I have turned it off and stored it for a month or so. I cannot think of why it would drain just sitting when it functions fine in use.

I will replace the battery myself before I will send it back and risk getting a green screen. But as it works when reading without excessive drain it makes me think it's not the battery itself.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeby View Post
To be clear when I use it there is no issue with battery life. 3 weeks plus. This issue is when I have turned it off and stored it for a month or so. I cannot think of why it would drain just sitting when it functions fine in use.

I will replace the battery myself before I will send it back and risk getting a green screen. But as it works when reading without excessive drain it makes me think it's not the battery itself.
Unless you turned it off ("mostly off") by holding the power button until the screen went all white, then it was just asleep, during which it can index books and periodically "phone home" if wireless was left on. That will eventually drain the battery.

Did you leave wireless on when you "turned off" your kindle?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Unless you turned it off ("mostly off") by holding the power button until the screen went all white, then it was just asleep, during which it can index books and periodically "phone home" if wireless was left on. That will eventually drain the battery.

Did you have wireless on when you "turned it off"?

Good luck with replacing the battery. It has a soft shell and is glued into the K4 with a much stronger glue than is used to glue on the back cover. Trying to remove the battery is likely to destroy it (perhaps starting a lithium fire). Not recommended.

What is a kindle "green screen"?

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-14-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All K4s are still under warranty. Why not contact Kindle CS and get it replaced?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
heeby
Connoisseur

Geekmaster did you read my original post?

Wireless off, nothing indexing, turned "off" with the seven second press.

In another post recently where I asked a tutorial on changing the battery was linked and it is possible.

Green screen is the poor quality greenish screen with low contrast that plagues a lot of Kindles due to crap quality control. I went through several before I got a beautiful screen.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In another post recently where I asked a tutorial on changing the battery was linked and it is possible.
Changing the battery on the K3 or a Touch is easy. On the K4, though, it's firmly glued in, and it's pretty well impossible to replace.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
heeby
Connoisseur

Not according to RainingLemur's post and the linked video.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184747
Old 07-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Well, on your own head be it! Please do let us know the outcome.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
Geekmaster did you read my original post?

Wireless off, nothing indexing, turned "off" with the seven second press.

Green screen is the poor quality greenish screen with low contrast that plagues a lot of Kindles due to crap quality control. I went through several before I got a beautiful screen.
I went back and read it again. I had to read it three times (slower each time) before I caught the "wireless off" part near the end. My mind is full of some new code I am working that must have distracted me. Sorry. Regarding indexing, it might decide to index again even while asleep, if a recent "phone home" had loaded some new unindexed content (such as a subscription).

I would love to read about how they changed the battery. When I tried lifting my battery it was stretching the battery wrapper almost to the point of tearing, but the glue did not budge. Perhaps they are using different glue now. Please provide a link to your K4 battery removal reference. Thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO1Tg2OsPjU

Hmm... There is no FREAKING way that MY battery would come out like that. I tried. Besides, after removing his battery you could see 5 scratches on the glue. He had already removed it before. In the video it was not even glued in (except for slight stickiness of the remaining glue). They want to make it look easier than it is to sell more battery replacements... I suspect that they may have HEATED the battery the first time, enough to melt the glue (which may also damage the battery if it gets too hot). Also, some K4s may have more glue, or stronger glue.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-14-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
heeby
Connoisseur

Yeah the post I linked to above was a result of me asking if anyone had see a way to do it. The tear downs I saw before said it wouldn't work but I figured it would be a matter of time before someone figured out a way. I am not going to do it now but it's good to know it's an option even if potentially difficult. I worked to hard to get good quality screens to gamble on a refurb being clear enough.

I would like to figure out why my batteries drain faster when off and not being used than when in actual use. It's weird. I get normal life when reading regularly...but when stored for a month "off" as off can be it totally drains. They were sitting on a shelf for months before being sold and retained a partial charge..but stored like that in a suitcase they drain so fast?

Also my devices are unregistered and have had wifi off since I bought them so I can't imagine there is any phoning home going on.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
geekmaster

It is normal for a fully charged lithium battery to self-discharge relatively quickly. For longest battery life and longer storage, they should be discharged to less than 70% (and preferably 40%) before storing them. This can be done in diagnostics, using the "shipping mode" diag. There is also a script that can do it for you. It takes awhile...

In fact, mission-critical batteries are NEVER charged more than 70%. This gives them a MUCH longer lifespan, but requires recharging more often during usage. Internally, they are the same as consumer batteries charged to 100% (for longer time between charges), but they are labelled and rated differently, requiring different charging methods.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
heeby
Connoisseur

Can I set that mode via the device through some commands? How do I enter the "diagnostics" screen?
Old 07-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
geekmaster

Quote:
Can I set that mode via the device through some commands? How do I enter the "diagnostics" screen?
Entering (and leaving) diagnostic mode requires a little knowledge to avoid problems.

WARNING! TECHNICAL DETAILS AHEAD!
Spoiler:
You should read a little about it in the K4 hacking wiki, or various posts in the "simple debricking" (and other) threads in the Dev Corner. Start with the Master Index sticky thread.

Basically, getting to the diags menu involves adding an "ENABLE_DIAGS" file (no file extension) to the USB drive and restarting the kindle. Getting out of diags is a bit more complicated (especially the first time). Restarting will keep booting to the diags menu until you disable it.

A safer way is to boot directly to diags using the MfgTool program from the "select boot" thread (in the tools index wiki, linked from the master index). That way restarting just goes back to the normal main startup.

To run the "shipping mode" script, you need a way to launch it (not in the GUI menus), which you can do from the SSH prompt in the diags menu (but you need to use linux commands once at the kindle command prompt).

If you do not wish to learn the details, I suggest not doing it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-14-2012 at 01:27 PM.